Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-04-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
So I've been working on my v-drive. Had to replace the seal. Well it takes a special socket to get it off! Basically a 2" hub socket, you know the type with 4 prongs on the bottom. Well nobody makes it its an odd ball size. Indmar, the manufacturer of Malibu's new ski-V v-drive makes a specialty socket but its expensive. But here's the kicker none of the local dealers even have this socket to work on these tranny's I called all my local dealers. Heck they say they've never even taken one out. I even went to some local boat repair shops with no luck, by the way the guys at Topside Marine in San Jose were very helpfull even though they didn't have the socket either. So I ended up having to make a socket.

Then I ordered the seal and try'd ordering a new nut for the shaft. Well they sell the seal but they don't sell the nut? The nut is a nylon lock nut that holds the flange on the shaft and they don't sell it? I don't usually like re-using lock nuts especially nylon lock nuts but I have no choice now! Well I do actually, if I want a new lock nut I have to buy a new v-drive and it comes with a new lock nut on it! Why are these manafactureers not supporting the products they sell with parts?

And then to order the seal its a pain, can't order it direct from Indmar, have to order from the malibu dealer, who orders it through Malibu, then Malibu orders it from Indmar, then hopefully Indmar shipped it out!

I well say James at Salinas Marine was really cool and did everything he could to get it over nighted to me. Hopefully it actually arrives today!

I just can't believe how difficult they make it to work on your own boat! I guess gripe over with!