Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-14-2013, 8:37 AM Reply   
Getting ready to replace and repack the bearings on my trailer and was wondering if some grease is better or last longer than others or should I just head over to the auto parts store or West Marine and get whatever trailer bearing grease they have.

Thanks, Pete
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-14-2013, 9:06 AM Reply   
just use reg. mystic wheel bearing grease, my buddy works at the mystic plant and he says they are the same, marine just has blue dye in it.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-14-2013, 9:53 AM Reply   
Go with something that has an aluminum complex thickener. Check the below link for some more info. Just be sure that your hub is completely clean. Certain thickeners in grease are not compatible with others.

http://www.belray.com/bel-ray-alumin...orse-lubricant

This product is available in a tub or cartridge. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.belray.com/bel-ray-waterproof-grease
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-14-2013, 10:17 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info. I was going to go to Oreily's Auto Parts and pick up some mystic bearing grease but maybe I should head over to my Yamaha dealer and pick up some Belray lube. Want to go with something that will last a long time and not break down over time.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-14-2013, 10:46 AM Reply   
Longevity isn't really an issue as you should be at least inspecting and repacking every couple years. Repacking and thinking your set for the next 10 years is the wrong answer. Unless your using the trailer 2x's a year to drive a mile to the launch to unload then reload in the fall.

If you trailer alot or distances in the heat you should do them yearly. Modest amounts maybe every 2 years. Thats for greased hubs, not sure about service life of the new oil bath hubs. Heat and water are the enemy. Always replace the seals when you repack. If you have bearing buddies over greasing will ruin the inner seals. If you are getting grease on the inside of your rims your seals are shot. Grease getting out=water getting in.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       03-14-2013, 12:21 PM Reply   
Lucas Red 'n Tacky is what I usually use. Seems to do well with water. I always used it on my wheelin' trucks and when doing weekly bearing repacking it seemed to hold up quite well so far as water intrusion and washing away.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...id=46&loc=show
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-14-2013, 12:29 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info. Last time I repacked bearings was 8 years ago. Probably got lucky. Everything looked good but grease was a pretty runny.

I'm going to replace all the seals and bearings this time to play it safe but in 2-3 years I'll just do seals and repack.

Hey RB, how do you know when the bearing buddies have enough grease and you don't over grease them. Normally I just fill em with grease until the center section pops out and grease starts coming out of the sides.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-14-2013, 12:51 PM Reply   
When I repack them I put the gun on them and keep neutral pressure on it. You don't want to hold the spring loaded center in with force. I only pump until the center just starts to move out. Then I will give it 2-4 pumps a few times during the season. You don't want to pump it full till the center comes all the way out. Seems if you over fill them the grease comes out the inside and then that inner seal will leak. Most people over grease them.
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-14-2013, 1:29 PM Reply   
got it. Once I've got the bearings packed I will give it a few pumps till I see the center starting to come out. I think I alwaus over packed them becuse when i took the hub off I could not believe how much old grease was in there.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-14-2013, 10:18 PM Reply   
The UFP website has some good brochures on it for info. Here is a few things they say:

RECOMMENDED LUBRICANT
You can match the grease already in your hub by using Trailer Buddy Wheel Bearing
Grease or use any other good quality, #2 grade multi-purpose grease. Use a water
repellent grease if you’d like, but it’s not necessary because water won’t enter a properly
filled hub. Grease consists of oil, soap and additives. (The soap in any particular grease
has one of several chemical bases [lithium, calcium, etc.]). Oil sometimes separates
from the soap and may leak out of the protector or under the rear seal. This is normal
and won’t create any problems.

BEARING REPACKING
There is no need to repack bearings if a good quality lubricant is used and the lubricant
level is properly maintained.

PRESSURIZED SYSTEM WON’T DAMAGE SEALS
The slight (3 psi) pressure your protector maintains inside the hub WILL NOT damage
inner seals. Adding grease with a power gun at a service station WILL damage seals!
Fill ONLY with a hand gun!

Link:
http://www.ufpnet.com/Portals/0/PDFs...aintenance.pdf
Attached Images