Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-29-2010, 3:15 PM Reply   
I am looking for a waterproof camera that will mainly be used just to play around with video although it would be nice to have it take decent stills just in case I dont feel like lugging the DSLR around. What do you guys think of these two cameras? Would you go with one over the other and are there other options I should consider in this price range?

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-PlaySpor.../ref=de_a_smtd

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-XP10-...f=pd_rhf_p_t_4
Old     (snwmot)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-29-2010, 10:51 PM Reply   
try the gopro its awesome and really versatile
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-29-2010, 11:21 PM Reply   
Make that the GoPro HD
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-30-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
I would stay away from the waterproof Fuji's. Heard nothing but bad things about those. If you are stuck on something like that though I would check out the waterproof olympus point and shoots. Otherwise +1 for GoPro HD.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-31-2010, 1:56 PM Reply   
Olympus has a digital camera/video that is waterproof shock proof bomb proof. thing is sick. takes descent video.
Old     (dryhop)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-31-2010, 9:17 PM Reply   
Been getting good results with the gopro HD. I've been playing with different camera mounts and all the available accessories are really well-built. Here is some dual-cam footage of some winter riding. (not me, i was shooting from the boat and my riding kinda sucks). Sorry if this is a repeat for some as my buddy posted this link in the main forum section a while back...

It also has a continuous still photo mode where it takes 5MP pics at (down to) 2sec intervals. Looking forward to playing with that mode.

Biggest downside of that cam is that it has no viewfinder. The 170degree lens helps insure you catch the action, but one trade-off is noticeable fish-eye effect...
Old     (radmattyd)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-21-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
I ordered the Playsport but I haven't got it yet. I think it'll be perfect for what I want to do with it. It shoots 730 @ 60fps and 1080 @ 30fps.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-28-2010, 7:57 AM Reply   
I have the PlaySport and it's great. Took it on a surfing trip to Rincon, PR and it held up to the waves and salt water just fine. It's got a 5MP still camera as well and shoots HD in every flavor including 1080p. I'm very impressed with it.
Old    Chaserwaser            04-28-2010, 1:17 PM Reply   
Has anyone had the Gopro attached to there wakeboard facing towards them just like the pictures they have on there website where its mounted to the front of the surfboard
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-03-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
I bought the water proof/shock proof /freeze proof Olympus Camera last week.

Just got back from Cancun yestersay, it stopped working on the last day. Up until it died it worked awesome though.

Contacted Olympus today and they are happy to replace/fix it. Sooo....jury is still out for me.
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-03-2010, 3:27 PM Reply   
I ended up getting the playsport also. So far I am really happy with it.
Old     (radmattyd)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-03-2010, 3:52 PM Reply   
Yep.

Playsport is awesome. I took it in the hot tub and the pool. Shoots great video.

Only complaint is that the plastic LCD screen cover scratches too easily and the battery life is short.

It blows my mind that the mic still works after being submerged...
Old     (rorowake)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-03-2010, 4:24 PM Reply   
We used the GoPro attached to the board facing back when shooting Lyman. There is a shot in Global Warning. Later that day we lost the camera off the board... bummer. I have mounted it to my snowboard facing back at me several times. Fun cam.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-08-2010, 7:22 PM Reply   
A guy I went to TWC with had one attached to his board. He had it looped through his binding lace incase it popped off his board. Here is the video from it: