Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-31-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
Do you guys drop your front had mid-way into the scarecrow? I landed my 4th one ever on Saturday, but Man was it sketchy! I ride goofy and have been throwing them with 2 hands on the handle the entire time. My problem sometimes, like on Saturday, is that my right arm is so dominant that I think it pulls slightly more on the handle causing me to either come up short or try to pull back around to regular as I land.

I guess my question is if there is a problem with me going ahead and doing them while dropping my front hand. I assume not since obviously you have to right off the wake to get a grab anyway. I really think it will help them to come around easier.

The first 3 I ever landed where in my last set of last year. Sometimes my pop wasn't consistent in my attempts though. Well, Saturday was the first time trying them (tried 4 and landed one) and I got really good pop on all of them. I'm starting to really like the feel plus they are easy to take really big.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-31-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
I don't know how to edit the title, but obviously that is supposed to be "drop" your hand.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-31-2008, 9:41 AM Reply   
Yeah I learned the crow with only one hand on the handle but it made me throw them way out the back and they felt really sloppy. Sometimes the landings were decent but only if I took the trick really big or I would land all hunched over and out of control. There is a trick tip on the new website LearnWake.com that talks about grabbing the crow melon. I was throwing them like they suggested to try to help me grab more consistanly and it made the whole trick feel and look different. Everyone in the boat said that they looked alot better and I actually nailed the grab on about 3 of 10. anyway the main point in the trick tip was that you want to pop more up and towards the boat instead of out and around the back. Also when cutting in try to start farther out than normal and cut hard at the begining and then flatten off and drift a little more than you normally would and this will help you to trip more up than out cause of the decrease in line tension.

All and all I think that of all the people that I have watched learn the crow the people who learn them with two hands seem to get them down more solidly and with better form, but to each his own, you will have to do them with one hand to get the grab but it will take more time to get them to down because you will have to learn to have the same control with only one hand.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-31-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
Thanks Robert. I obviously don't ride enough switch as my right arm is just so much more dominant. I'll go look at those tips now.

I think I do go out the back a little bit, but I'm not sure how they look until I see some video. I think once I get these consistent they will be very fun to take really big. It's awesome to just really lay into a TS edge.

Thanks!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-31-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
Eubanks, Pulling with your back arm through the cut and up the wake will give you a lot more control and over the top (end over end) rotation. If your pulling mostly with your front hand on your approach and the trip flip it will likely go more out the back. IMHO both are cool if grabbed. Take one out the back, grab it mute and start whipping that arm over your head and you got an OA TS mute Ole 5 (but you must get a legitimate Ole spin in there, no cheating). Take them over the top and you can start playing with crow mobes.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-01-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
I two hand them unless I grab it -- having the two handed one is nice when you want to take it to a crow-mobe
Old     (annq42)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-10-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
If you think that one hand is too dominate then try to keep your arms at 90 degrees the whole time, so you make a triangle from your shoulders to elbows, to hands. That will give you a bit more room for error.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-12-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
whether you do it one handed or two the most important part is that you keep the handle very close to your new lead hip the entire rotation.

Here's what solidified the trick for me- as soon as I leave the wake I push down on the handle and then keep it close to my hip (a tip I got from Shelby Kantar, btw!)
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-19-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
Well, I had a great weekend with these! I had only landed 4 of these ever, but I landed the only one I tried on Wednesday and was 6 of 8 or so on Saturday! I'm doing these two handed right now which I feel gives me more control and should help if I ever want to try crow mobes.

I don't really feel like I was doing anything crazy different from before. I just tried to keep the handle in and really wait on that pop aftering flattening out. I was riding bigger wakes the last couple of times out which definitely helped.

Hopefully these will start becoming consistent now! I still don't have hardly any aerial awareness with these yet, but I think that will come with time.
Old     (trevorcurry)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-23-2008, 12:05 PM Reply   
Try grabbing them. When I started grabbing, it slowed the rotation and made it a little more controlled.
Old     (wakenerd)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-24-2008, 4:56 AM Reply   
The way I do Scarecrow is two handed. I basically pop the same way as Front Roll just put my hands to my belly when I pop up and then move both of my hands to my rear hip for landing.