Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old     (getsome137)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-03-2006, 2:13 PM Reply   
hey guys...so i have been trying to do a raley (only a couple times), and i always feel like my feet are going to flip up over my head...so i was just wondering if i am doing something wrong or if i just need to "man up"..haha...any advice would be great...thanx alot..
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-03-2006, 2:19 PM Reply   
I can't do them (never tried, but I would fail), but I think I saw that the cure for that is to make sure you are staring at the tower once you leave the wake, it will keep your board from doing some crazy front flip.

Again, this is just from what I have heard. Someone else?
Old     (wakeman21)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-03-2006, 7:24 PM Reply   
or you could let your board flip over you and you could land it and it would be some crazy new trick..that'd be awesome
Old     (oopsds92)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-03-2006, 7:55 PM Reply   
lol
ya dog
Old    alanp            07-03-2006, 8:35 PM Reply   
raleys(along with backrolls, 360's and tantrums) are discussed pretty often in the trick tips section. do a quick search and youll probably turn up with an answer
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-03-2006, 9:47 PM Reply   
over time something has told me that alan just doesnt like reading about people asking about these 4 subjects.
Old     (wellsrts)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-07-2006, 2:43 PM Reply   
HOLD IT WIDE OPEN AND HOPE FOR THE BEST...PIN IT TO WIN IT...
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-07-2006, 3:02 PM Reply   
try screaming when you hit the wake (if all else fails close your eyes, too).
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-07-2006, 10:14 PM Reply   
alan, you said to do a "quick search" , that's nearly impossible on this site. I don't mean to undermine david's wonderful work, but i almost think it would be better to just get rid of the archives and bring up a new topic whenever it resurafaces again. just a thought..
Old     (reid808)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-07-2006, 11:06 PM Reply   
What causes your feet to go over your head is "Looking Down". Try to keep your eyes on people in the boat. You'll have much more success. Also, it's very important to let your hands out slowly when you leave the wake. Last but not least, Keep your weight centered over the board. Edging with most of your weight on your heels will cause you to "Stargaze" this is when the board swings behind you. DO NOT COME SCREAMING IN! That is a recipe for disaster. A progressive edge with a little more rail will be best.

Good Luck!
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-07-2006, 11:07 PM Reply   
Go bigUpload
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-08-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
Reid,

"DO NOT COME SCREAMING IN! ... A progressive edge with a little more rail will be best."

I'm confused by that statement. When I do a raley, I make my progressive cut as rapidly as possible, then accelerate as hard as I can into the wake. My intent is to have the most amount of speed when I hit the wake. Are you suggesting this approach is not the best for a raley?

I'm also riding an 04 Temet 142 that accelerates like a Yugo.. So maybe I'm compensating for the board? I too have been working on defeating the problem with the board 4 feet above my head. I think I'll try looking at the tower today.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-08-2006, 1:00 PM Reply   
actually what causes stargazing is when u cut in with too much weight on ur back foot. leaning back on ur heels all the way will make u go bigger.
Old     (reid808)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-08-2006, 5:35 PM Reply   
Jason's right! More weight on your back foot will cause you to "Stargaze". My brain must have been stargazing during my typing. Thanks Jason. The reason I say "DO NOT COME SCREAMING IN" is because when you're learning the raley, edging through the wake is always a problem. Guys tend to get on the "GAS" early and go flat at the wake. As you probably already know, this trick takes total commitment. Try drifting in a little and then progressivly getting more on edge. Edge through the wake. Once you learn how to control your edge you'll feel comfortable edging in faster. I'm very curious on your progress so keep posting. Your probably not to far off.

Good Luck!
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-09-2006, 12:52 AM Reply   
Ok, so heavy on the back foot causes "Stargazin".

I actually tried looking at the tower today -- a fleeting glance. It messed my timing a little bit and I almost didn't get the board back under me. I still stargazed it even with looking at the tower.

When do you look at the tower? I looked at the wake until I launched, glanced up to the tower, then down to my landing.

(Message edited by yosquire on July 09, 2006)
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-09-2006, 10:34 AM Reply   
u want to look up at the tower right as your hitting the wake. also while your hitting the wake you want to start lettin the rope pull you over your toeside edge up toward the boat. keep your eyes on the tower all the way up and then at the peak you want to pull the handle down to your knees and look for your landing
Old     (reid808)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-09-2006, 3:40 PM Reply   
Hey Craig,

What kind of air are you getting? It's sound like your still a bit heavy on the back foot. Do you have any instructional videos or wakeboarding videos in general? Remember that most of the raley shots in videos are in really slow motion. The time spent in the air is not that long.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-09-2006, 4:08 PM Reply   
Upload
"Stargazing"

I'm usually 10-12 feet and 15-20 feet into the flats. I don't think air is my problem.

What I'm looking for is to perfect my raley. I'd like it to look like the pros, where when viewed from the side you can draw a straight line from the board through their body, through the rope back to the tower.. Everyone loves it when I'm completely inverted on the raley, except me. I'd rather have a nice consistent straight out raley. The consistence should then lend itself to adding Raley features (ie: Batwing, S-Bend, Grabs)
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-09-2006, 8:06 PM Reply   
that raley looks pretty good to me. your not hardly stargaized at all. looks like you could take it bigger, by cutting harder. but from this point what will really help you out is doin them more often. when im tryin to perfect a trick i will go out and do at least 5 to ten of them in one run.
Old     (reid808)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-09-2006, 11:25 PM Reply   
Great Pic Craig! As Jason stated, looks pretty good to me also. How long have you been doing the Raley? I know that the picture doesn't show everything but letting your arms extend out a little more will make the trick look even better. Hopefully Sam is reading all of this and his attempts are getting better also.