Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ColoRadDude)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-05-2010, 2:50 PM Reply   
I just got put in charge of a local wakeboard team. I'll mainly be managing and coaching the two younger teams this summer, but was wondering if anyone could help me out.

Whether you've been on or managed a team or not, I would love to get some different ideas on how to make it better and more fun. So, what have you liked or would you like about a team that you were ever on.

Anything helps, I just want these kids to progress and have the most fun they can this year.

Thanks.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-05-2010, 3:01 PM Reply   
Do team building activities that have nothing to do with wakeboarding
Old     (ColoRadDude)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-06-2010, 7:08 AM Reply   
Thank you! Anyone else have ideas?
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-06-2010, 7:22 AM Reply   
Travel to local comps... or go hit some a new lake or cable together. In my opinion absolutely nothing brings a crew together like taking trips.

Pick a day each week that's good for everybody and make a point to ride together. Once a week might not always be reasonable, but make sure you get everybody in the boat at the same time at least a few times a month...

Push each other... if someone isn't sticking something or not progressing, don't be scared to call them out on it. Some feelings might get hurt up front, but in the end, fixing poor habits will pay off in progression and they will thank you for it.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-06-2010, 8:14 AM Reply   
if they are young I wouldn't call them out on too much, it should be all about fun, and progressing at their own rate.

from experience in junior development groups, if they are younger, there will be days they don't want to do much of anything, so pushing them will set them back a bit. Riding doubles with "higher" profile riders, or people that are looked up to in the area is always good, or just them interacting with that person will make a big impression. Motivate, congratulate, and don't push
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-06-2010, 8:55 AM Reply   
Yeah that comment was kinda directed to more developed riders. I totally agree with takin it easy on the beg/groms
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-06-2010, 10:33 AM Reply   
Do things with fun names like "Switch Sundays" and "New Trick Tuesdays". Nothing like a corney name to draw in the kids, but when you have a specific goal for the day like that it seems to make progressing easier in that area.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-06-2010, 10:50 AM Reply   
Can you explain what it even is? I'm curious as the only "teams" I've heard of are collegiate, and a couple high school in FLA
Old     (ColoRadDude)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-06-2010, 3:48 PM Reply   
The team is a bunch of riders sponsored by a local wake shop. The shop has three sub teams set up: grom, intermediate, and premier. We will have team practices together, go to comps together, etc.