Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-08-2013, 6:33 PM Reply   
What would you suggest for backing up files and pictures? My hard drive on my work laptop is getting really close to being maxed. I have most of my files on an old external but want to do a full back up on something I know is reliable. I would rather not use a "Cloud" type thing because I just don't trust them. Am I too paranoid?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old     (SBC350)      Join Date: Jan 2013       09-09-2013, 5:37 AM Reply   
Depending on your budget, I use a Synology NAS DS-211j. Basically it is a network attached storage and I installed two 1TB hard drive in there. Setup in RAID1 so they mirror each other. It gives me a piece of mind since I would need both hard drive to fail to loose data. The whole setup should run between 400-500 depending on the hard drive.

But any brand would work. Such as Drobo, Q-Nap, Dlink and many others.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Old    bigdtx            09-09-2013, 6:22 AM Reply   
I have a couple of these - they are cheap, fast (usb 3.0) and work great:
http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Porta.../dp/B007FQNKRC

They also come in a 2TB model if you need more space.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-10-2013, 5:40 AM Reply   
Thanks Big D and Alex. Does the backup software on the Passport work well, or do I have to click and drag files?

Thanks again.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-10-2013, 7:28 AM Reply   
I am currently using sugar sync for many things to make synced and backed up. I have 5 portable drives in our business and a network drive. Than once a quarter back up to DL DVD's for long term.
Old    bigdtx            09-10-2013, 10:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaegermaster View Post
Thanks Big D and Alex. Does the backup software on the Passport work well, or do I have to click and drag files?

Thanks again.
I have not used the automated backup software that comes with the passport so you'll need to check the product reviews for info there. I just use it manually backup files from my laptop when travelling and taking a lot of pics & videos.