Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (kmac1587)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-06-2012, 7:12 PM Reply   
Hey everyone,

So i've got a 92 Sport Nautique and have been really struggling getting the wake right to where we can let go of the rope. I've got 2 450lb ballast bags and typically have them placed on each side of the engine and then shift people around depending if the rider is goofy or regular. Not sure if anyone has had luck riding without the rope behind this boat and could give some advice.

Thanks
Old     (93sportnautique)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-06-2012, 8:27 PM Reply   
I have a 93 Sport Nautique. I setup for goofy(the RIGHT) side. I have 100+ lbs under the rear drivers side seat and some additional weight on the other side. Then I put one 400lb bag beside the engine and another on the rear seat, both on the drivers side. That creates a mostly surfable wave. Two peeps sitting on the rear bag is a decent wake. If there is more people, then I have one typically sit on the right side of of the boat and another on engine cover. That is a great surf wake.

It's been a while since I tried setting up on the regular side and I'm not sure that I had the sacs at the time.

Get both of your sacs on the side your trying to surf . Make sure your going fast enough to clean up the wake (no wash). You should be able to surf that. Increase speed until you start losing drive.

Good Luck!
Old     (kmac1587)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-06-2012, 10:41 PM Reply   
Great advice thanks! Every boat is different so its good to hear from another nautique owner who's had success and fun with surfing behind theirs. What was your typical speed? Did you need to drive in a circle or were you able to go straight and still carry the rider?

Last edited by kmac1587; 09-06-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old     (03AirNautique)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-07-2012, 7:20 AM Reply   
I don't know if there are any similarities, but I have an 04 216 air Nautique DD. We have found to get a good wave you need to sink the surf side and have 500+ lbs in the bow. We have a 750# fat sack in the very back where the factory hard tanks were and another 750# on the surf side and the weight in the bow. We surf at 9.2 ish mph.
Old     (93sportnautique)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-07-2012, 10:59 AM Reply   
Kevin,
Not sure if I trust my speedos readings at low speeds...we use the tach for surfing. Like I mentioned, increase the speed until the wake goes from wash to clean. At that speed it can be surfed. The more weight,..the faster you can surf.
I forgot to mention that I do have weight in the ski locker....not sure how much though.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-07-2012, 11:04 AM Reply   
I would start with setting the sacs up something like this

Old     (kmac1587)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-09-2012, 6:53 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice and pictures. We've tried putting the ballast bags in the corner and have played around with the speed. Wake is better but we are still having trouble being able to let go of the rope. Will keep trying different speeds.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-10-2012, 10:14 AM Reply   
As a person with a DD myself I find driving in a circle cleans the wake up a lot more for surfing. Never been able to find the setup that would allow me to drive straight and have a good wave. The wave is only part of the equation. Depending on the size of the wave and your own body weight will determine the best type of board you need to be riding. Being 220lbs myself I run a Inland Surfer Red Tide which is very bouyant. After that the last step is actually learning how to find and stay in the pocket. The smaller the wave the smaller the pocket that will push you. It's all in the hips baby with small movements.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-10-2012, 10:15 AM Reply   
Hey, just noticed. A good friend of mine is named Kevin MacDonald as well. We call him KMac Too.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-10-2012, 11:19 AM Reply   
Best solution would be to build a DIY surfgate.