Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-23-2010, 1:45 AM Reply   
Just curious what you all are doing about it. Been getting it a little lately after pulling some new tricks. It's almost like tendonitis. Any tips pr any remedies you guys are using?

Seeing a pt girl now for my left shoulder she said just stretch for most part
Old     (Dovey)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-23-2010, 3:52 AM Reply   
Hi there
I also get it occasionally- is it sort of in-between your bicep and fore arm? If so, it is a sort of tendonitis, and it is usually caused from landing with your arm fully extended (or sometimes even jerked fully extended when you land hard). If you are landing like this, the joint can't move any further, which is what causes the pain. To fix the problem, try to land with you arm silghtly bent/ flexed (and probably closer to your body/ hips), so that way it is able to give a bit. In regards to your PT girl, get her to show you some bicep and forearm strengthening exercises so that you are able to hold the handle closer to try to eliminate your arm getting jerked straight.

Hope this helps,
Dovey
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-23-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
Essentially you need to land with your elbow bent like he said. If you are having trouble add a 3 foot section of Poly E line. This will offer a little bit of give that will not mess with your riding but will take the strain out of your elbow.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-23-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
I used to get that same crap, shoulders would hurt, elbows, but I just stepped up the offseason workouts. The older you get, the more you have to stay out front of the aches. Suxs, but at least you look good......
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-23-2010, 11:46 AM Reply   
i had it once a few years ago, it hurt for about a week once it started, it went away tho, then just last week i was at the lake trying tantrums, thought i had one, ended up falling, but since i thought i was gonna land it , tried to hold on and my arm got pulled hard, just like theyre saying above. after the fall i could barely move my arm. it has just gone away, give the arm a rest, try not to do much lifting and stuff like that. hope this helps.
Old     (wakenwake)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-24-2010, 5:46 AM Reply   
I had the same problem to some extent for a while. I changed my rope handle to a wider more cushy handle and my elbow is noticibly better. Something to think about because we all deathgrip handles sometimes and I like as wide of a handle that I can get my hands around so im not balling up my fist all the time when i'm riding
Old     (burn229)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-24-2010, 10:05 PM Reply   
Besides landing with you arms bent more there is nothing you can do other then rest, ice, and take advil. I had the same problem and worked by butt off in the off season to build up my triceps and biceps. Adding more mass on my arms mad huge difference. I've been riding regualry since april 1st and have yet to experience this pain. Now I just need to fix my patellar tedonitis problem.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-25-2010, 7:44 AM Reply   
It's very easy in this sport to pull your biceps muscle and unfortunately is one of those injuries that is hard to get over because the only way to fix it is to rest it for a couple of weeks. The first two days after the injury, you want to ice then switch to heating pads and nsaids like alleve or motrin.
Old     (nmcjr)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-27-2010, 5:38 PM Reply   
I've been fighting this for a couple months now too. I think the only sure fire way to cure it is to rest it, or at the very least minimize the impact while riding, i.e. take a break from the tantrums etc. It has proven to be very stubborn for me, but I've found it critical to take ibuprophen BEFORE I ride. Once the pain sets in the ibuprophen doesn't help much, but if I take it as a preventative it is much more effective. Also, there is a spot on your shoulder (I think that tendon runs to your shoulder) you can massage that helps some, its kind of just past the end of your collar bone, deep into the shoulder muscle.
Old     (TimboSlice)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-28-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
start riding switch. if its just one of ur arms ride switch it'll give ur bad arm a rest and you'll become a better rider!
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-29-2010, 1:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimboSlice View Post
start riding switch. if its just one of ur arms ride switch it'll give ur bad arm a rest and you'll become a better rider!
That's what I been doing to take the load off of my lead arm. Mine is in the forearm on the top & some in the bicept.