Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (derek23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-28-2010, 6:15 AM Reply   
So my wife and I have been sriously considering to a warmer climate. Right now we are in Massachusettts and my wife is getting tired of cold winters, and I would love somehwere that i can ride for more than 3 months without some sort of wet or drysuit. We visited Palm Springs, CA and really liked that. She doesn't want to move to Florida or Texas. I work in an architecture office and she is a High school music teacher. We want somewhere that I can find a good job and is nice...obviously I prefer somewhere that has more of a wake scene than here is Mass. I look forward to hearing different ideas. Thanks
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       01-28-2010, 6:43 AM Reply   
Does it have to be within the states? Otherwise you might want to consider Costa Rica.
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-28-2010, 6:52 AM Reply   
ATL
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-28-2010, 6:55 AM Reply   
Why doesn't your wife want to move to TX? Is it because of the Yeehaw stereotype? Have you ever been to Austin? Dubbed the live music capital of the world. I live in San Antonio which is less than an hour from Austin. While I like San Antonio I would much rather live in Austin. Everyone is extremely friendly and there is so much to do. Weather is good and housing is very reasonable. I'm seeing more and more California plates here in TX everyday if that tells you anything.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-28-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
Ben, sssshhhhhh! We don't want everyone to know that!
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-28-2010, 7:57 AM Reply   
Have family in Fayetteville n Eureka Springs AK. I would absolutely live there if I didnt love TX.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Houston,+Harris,+Texas&ll=36.40 36,-93.819122&spn=0.93066,1.234589&z=10

And yup, nothing to see in Austin. Move along, they hate yanks and are all rednecks. You would hate it.
Old     (derek23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-28-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
I have personally never been to Texas...she had a bad experience there and I think that turned her off from it (she is very stubborn). Yes it does have to be withing the states. I wish she was more open minded becasuse i always thought Texas seemed cool.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-28-2010, 8:55 AM Reply   
I live in Florida and have been to Texas Dallas specifically and the people were so nice I am shocked. I love living in Tampa and would not leave. Also think about taxes and what the state your looking to moving too takes from you. Not sure on Texas but Florida NO STATE TAX. Need to look at the entire picture. Good luck. Cali if crazy beautiful but the last place on planet earth I want to live. Great place to visit
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       01-28-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
Moved from So Cal to Texas 6 yrs ago, great move for me!!
Great wake scene in Texas as well.

Bummer she had a bad experience in Texas.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       01-28-2010, 9:18 AM Reply   
AZ is nice, but then I saw what your wife does for a living. Not a good time to be a Teacher in AZ right now, especially a fine arts teacher. I have been teaching here for 16 years and still seem to have no job security anymore.
You can board here pretty much year round if you want, and at least 6 months where the water temps are nice. But like I said, the economy is sketchy.
I like Palm Springs too, but the summers there I guess can be worse than AZ because of the humidity.
I know absolutely nothing about Texas other than everyone I know that has moved there (Austin) really likes it.
Good Luck
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-28-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
Richmond, VA
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-28-2010, 10:28 AM Reply   
Just about anywhere south of the I-40 corridor from North Carolina to OK have pretty good wake weather 8 months of the year, fairly affordable housing and plenty of lakes. Lots of choices and would see where the jobs take you. I am kind of partial to the upstate SC area.
Old     (dmartinak2002)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-28-2010, 11:20 AM Reply   
You might want to see where you can find a job and base your decision on that...I dated a girl who didnt like texas once, it didnt last long
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-28-2010, 11:48 AM Reply   
"I dated a girl who didnt like texas once, it didn't last long"

LOL!

The truth is Texas has a very resilient economy. We are being inundated with out of staters moving here. It's ridiculous how fast things are growing.
Old     (derek23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-28-2010, 12:29 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of the input guys...it seems like texas is where it is at. i was curious about Arizona, thanks Steve. Palm Springs doesn't get the humidity either. Fortunately I visited there in August so I am aware of the heat down there. Staying on the east coast wouldn't be a bad idea...stay a little closer to our families.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-28-2010, 12:57 PM Reply   
I've lived most of my 57 years in the Phoenix area and the boarding season is long. But the job market would be real hard. I'm in architectural engineering and can guarantee you that you wouldn't find a job for a year or two. I went to Austin 2 years ago and was blown away by how nice it was and the number of lakes. If I was starting all over again at a younger age, that's where I'd go.
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-28-2010, 1:00 PM Reply   
Texas is closed. sorry. Flesh eating virus, yeah, that's it, a flesh eating virus. Very dangerous, stay away.

Actually, if Texas were off the list and I had to make a choice, (in no particular order)Arizona, Alabama, Georgia, Carolinas, and Arkansas would be way up there. Beautiful lakes, vistas, areas of low cost of living, etc.

(Message edited by roomservice on January 28, 2010)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-28-2010, 1:03 PM Reply   
Yea, Arkansas is REALLY cool. I'd look there too.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-28-2010, 1:19 PM Reply   
...and what bad experience did your wife have in Florida?
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-28-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
If you're into winter sports as well you can pretty much forget about Texas and Florida.
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-28-2010, 1:52 PM Reply   
^^^^Upload
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-28-2010, 2:14 PM Reply   
within a 1-2 hr drive
Old     (jacobs0222i)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-28-2010, 2:26 PM Reply   
When you say Palm Springs you really mean the desert cities, Palm Desert and Rancho Mirage etc. It is a little far to drive to lakes here. Lake Havasu is like 4hr away and is hard to get glass on the weekends but don’t get me wrong Havasu is fun. If you were to stay in the river you can find good water all the time. Blythe is really good for wakeboarding but no where to stay unless you have a river house.

It is a lot slower pace here and if you play golf this place is your Mecca.
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-28-2010, 2:35 PM Reply   
yea.. stay away from texas... its horrible here.. we alllll hate.. it.. i hate it soo much that i got it tatted on my shoulder.. flesh eating virus.. annnnnddd... rats!
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-28-2010, 2:36 PM Reply   
Peter come on! you obviously don't know your way around Texas very well. If we ain't got it... We'll build it!

SKI MT.AGGIE!! 50 feet of the most perfectly groomed wet turf in 1000 miles!
http://people.tamu.edu/~gjessup/skischool.htm
Upload
God Bless Texas A&M. They really mean well.

(fyi i took that course twice, took what i learned to a real slope. ABSOLUTELY no. I totally sucked on two skies! snowboard fo eva)

Thanks, and GIG'EM
(And let the jokes commence! )
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-28-2010, 2:38 PM Reply   
how do u keep an aggie from jerkin it??? paint it burnt orange and he wont beat it for 6 years... ok ... sorry... just one!
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-28-2010, 2:49 PM Reply   
just giving you texans some crap. If I were to move it would be to Austin but I'm 50 minutes to Tahoe, 5 minutes to the closest lake and there are 10 lakes around me within an hours drive. To bad the fricken state is so liberal and going broke. Lived here in Nor Cal all my life. Used to be the best place to live but not so much anymore. Hopefully things get better
Old     (tcaz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-28-2010, 7:35 PM Reply   
Ski Lubbock? Mt Aggie? What is this stuff?!
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-30-2010, 11:25 PM Reply   
Hey, I used to work and live in Palm Springs. IF you can stand the heat that one thing. The other problem many people have is the constant heavy wind. Its similar to living under a giant hair drier 24/7. I didn't mind, but my wife, who has long hair, hated it and we moved away.

The closest lakes would be Lake Elsinore and Lake Perris, which are about an hour away. Decent boating lakes, but nothing special.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-31-2010, 12:13 AM Reply   
*cough*....Please don..*cough* DON'T come to Texas. Everyone is sick here and *haachu* the virus is spreading.
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-31-2010, 1:26 PM Reply   
Derek,

You should check out Houston. We moved here 6 years ago from Hershey, PA area for the same reason and never looked back. There are schools all over the place for her and of course architecture firms as well. Residential or commercial? Oh and weather is great. There is about 6 or more riding spots within an hour of my driveway.
Old     (mastercraftboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-31-2010, 1:44 PM Reply   
MINNEAPOLIS!!! It would be perfect! Great people, and it's somekindof-boarding season all the time!
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-31-2010, 5:50 PM Reply   
Raleigh, NC is not bad. Here where I live there are 3 local lakes that are very nice size and about 5 other lakes, a few heated, that are within 1.5 hours. Lake Norman, Hyco Lake, Lake Gaston, Kerr Lake, Jordan Lake, Falls Lake, and many more all within a reasonable drive. As for the weather, we start around March and go to November. Some just go all year round.

ATL is not bad either. I was just there this week and Lake Lanier is HUGE!! Plus another huge lake just a hour away.

TX is my fave! No state income tax!!!! Lake Grapevine, Lewis, the River in Ft. Worth, etc... You cannot go wrong with TX at all.

Just my .02 cents worth.
Old     (derek23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-01-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
Houston just keeps sounding better and better. Dave right now I am in commercial but would have no problem switching to Res. if thats what was available.

NC could be a good option since the wife is dead set about not living in TX...I tried to butter her up about it over the weekend and there was no budging.

Also, I think this move will happen for at least another 2 years, so a lot could change before then.
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-01-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
In my field, I see Commercial Architecture fairly popular. New buildings, schools, hospitals, etc. are always being built here.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-01-2010, 10:52 AM Reply   
What happened to your gf to turn her off to Texas?