Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old    tsdunn            07-17-2005, 10:14 PM Reply   
I'm looking for ideas to add weight to a '99 Response with a closed bow. I have the wedge which produces an OK wake, but I'm wondering if a little added weight in the rear and the bow might improve it a little. I usually have a few people with me, so I don't like the idea of a bunch of fat sacs on the floor. Any ideas? What did you use? How much weight? Where did you put it?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-18-2005, 8:51 AM Reply   
I have 300# in sand bags in the closed bow of my 95 Echelon. hidden away. I dont like sacs lying around either. I also have 250# of lead under the back seats. works out well for us, as we usually have 5-6 people every trip.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-18-2005, 9:08 AM Reply   
Tim, I have a 2001 Malibu response lx with open bow. I have found that the best wake is with 350lbs on each side of the engine, 400lb tube sac up front, and 800 lbs in the back (with no riders). When I have a bunch of people in the boat I don't fill the 800lb bag up all the way.
Old    tsdunn            07-18-2005, 9:44 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses. Thomas, I like the sandbag idea, that will be easy. As for the lead, is it bricks or plates or what? Where did you buy the lead? Did you put them in anything? Sorry for my ignorance. Also, with the added weight, do you find you get a lot of water over the bow when driving slow? My boat sits low in the water already.
Leo, do you use all that weight with a wedge or without? How do you get around with fat sacs on the floors? Where does everyone sit?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-18-2005, 9:54 AM Reply   
Tim,
no worries. I am a newbie when it comes to boat ownership too! still have much to learn. I melted down tire weights that I got from some tire shops. a friend of mine had a "smelter" and we spent about four hours melting lead, and pouring it into bread pans until cool. pretty easy, as long as you know what you are doing. with the closed bow, I am not too worried about water over the front, but we do take some rollers over the back on occasion.
the one negative about lead and sand, is if you get completely swamped, the boat will go down very fast. fatsacs will float up and stay equal with the water level, whereas lead and sand go straight down.
Old    tsdunn            07-18-2005, 10:08 AM Reply   
Thomas,
Well, I certainly don't have any access to a smelter or anything like that. Any other ideas on the lead? I was also thinking about a short but long tank that I could fill with water under the back seat. Not sure what that would translate to in terms of weight though.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-18-2005, 10:27 AM Reply   
I had thought of that too, but lead was just easier for me. (it's good to have friends in every industry!) I know people have just bagged the tire weights, and moved them around. there are numerous threads on Lead in here. you just need to do a little searching. I keep a fat sac handy, just in case anyone bails out last minute, and we need a little extra weight. even filling it halfway makes a difference.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-18-2005, 10:05 PM Reply   
Yes, I still use the wedge. People just have to get over the fat sacs. People either sit on them, sit on the back deck, or sit on the engine cover.