Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-07-2006, 6:25 AM Reply   
So I've progressed to just casing the opposite wake with the nose of my board; just need that extra little push to get me over. And my muscles are killing me this a.m., so I know I'm trying hard. Problem: If i cut out a little ways, I'm getting good pop off the wake because I'm edging more and pushing harder off the wake. But if I cut out farther to get more speed, I'm getting scared and backing off. My question is, if I'm cutting out really far but not really loading the line til half way in, how come I have to cut so far out? Why can't I just cut to that half way point, then cut hard back in and get that good pop to make it w2w? Am I making any sense?
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-07-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
sounds to me like your not thinking about the progressive edge.. no matter how far you cut out as you approach the wake you should be getting more and more tension on the line with the peak line tension as you hit the wake.. im definetly not a coach though!
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-07-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
richard - thanks. i think i didn't explain myself very well. i'm edging well. using the example of 45 degrees vs. 90 degree (not true figures) my problem is that i edge harder and get much better pop when i only go 45 degrees out. when i go 90 degrees out i don't cut as hard and don't get the pop i need. so i'm wondering why everyone is telling me i NEED to go out to 90 degrees ... the way i see it, it makes more sense for me to go to like 55 to 60 degrees and then just really cut super hard back to get across the wake. was that more clear? or am i missing the point somehow of going out that far/what it's purpose is? basically, when i go out that far i chicken out at the wake, but when i can stay closer in i'm much more aggressive, so how do i stay closer in and still clear the wake? (sorry this is so long!)
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-07-2006, 1:11 PM Reply   
45 degrees should be plenty. I'm thinking you may be over estimating your angles. But anyway, you don't need to cut way out. Get the good pop and use your arms to pull you across the other wake. The general rule is to keep the handle close to your waist. Stand tall coming off the wake and pull the handle in towards your waist. Visualize the action as pulling yourself to the other wake as opposed to just keeping th ehandle in close.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-07-2006, 1:18 PM Reply   
ya, the angles were just figures, not accurate; they were just to show that basically i cut a lot harder if i go out about half as far as everyone is telling me to because then i'm not scared to go for it, and i was wondering how to "capitalize" on that so i can get that last little bit. thanks for the input!
Old     (elantz)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-08-2006, 8:23 AM Reply   
Kylie, I don't know the answer to your question but I'm stuck right where you are. I can "case" the wake from just outside the whitewash and from 8ft out with good pop. If I go further than that I get alot more speed but no pop and skip from w2w. I'm trying to find the speed I need to clear w2w keeping the pop. Maybe I'm thinking about it all wrong. Any advice?
Old    alanp            08-08-2006, 12:19 PM Reply   
kylie starting your edge way out is about the worst thing you can do when learning. go out just a few feet beyond the whitewash, let the boat turn your board towards the wake. and then get on the gas, lean back hard against the line. by going out such a little distance you have to edge correctly to go wake to wake. it would be best if you could provide a picture or video even better of you edging into the wake. my guess is there are several things that probably need a little work and a video would let us see how to guide you

dont get caught up in angles its not that scientific.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-08-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
i have some film to develop from this past weekend (yes, that's right, film ... no digital camera). i'll get a CD with it and see if i can get some pics uploaded. thanks everyone!
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       08-15-2006, 5:40 PM Reply   
You mentioned you were scared. I was too and my buddy just told me that you have to COMMIT. I just went balls out one time and landed perfectly. If you are scared, or not sure of what you are doing you will hit the top of the wake or wipe out. Its what got me over. I felt like I was doing everything right, just couldn't quite make it. He also said that I was coming into the wake at an angle thus making me travel farther to get over the wake and to come more perp to the wake. Once I fixed those two things I was golden.
Old     (scooby)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-15-2006, 8:56 PM Reply   
I just recently, in the last couple of months, got this down. I never really understood how you could start your cut 10 to 12 feet outside the wake and clear it but it's all in holding the edge all the way through. It's tough for some beginners,me included, to do this but it's essential. For the last year or so I was charging the wake from way outside and only getting 2ft of air, although I was clearing the other wake sometimes out in the flats, I had no height to my jumps. Holding your edge and locking you legs at the top, that's the deal. If you watch vids of yourself you should see spray from your board all the way through the wake. When you hit it right you'll know it. Keep trying.
Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-17-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
Honestly, I used to have the same issue and starting further from the wake and edging longer helped me get over. The loss of pop has a lot to with timing. If you speed is a lot higher the pop will be a lot quicker. The best thing I'd recommend is a slightly bigger wake. If you don't have any sacs, pick some up used for less $$ and you'll sail to the other wake.
Old     (livigno)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-18-2006, 1:37 AM Reply   
kylie,

I'd basically go with alan plotz' tips. Let's sum it up and add maybe one or the other thing: It's important to understand two things: PROGRESSIVE EDGING and taking off correctly by STANDING TALL AT THE TOP OF THE WAKE.

You can practice both independently, but I would not recommend it. Try to make your cut and your take off one fluid motion. For clearing both wakes you should not need to cut out more than 15 feet, do not cut out all the way (in fact it's even possible to clear both wakes from just 3 or four feet outside the wake).

So cut out, flatten off and let your board coast for like two seconds. Be patient and wait for the boat starting to slightly pull you back towards the wake. Now bend both knees slightly, lock the handle at your waist, a little toward your lead hip, and set a progressive edge.

This means: slightly lean back against the line to start your cut. As you're approaching the wake, increase your line tension by leaning back more and more - but not too hard - you have to stay in control and still be able to keep the handle in. Now really concentrate on staying on edge as you cut through the trough of the wake. Cut all the way through the wake. This is when you want to have the most line tension.

Then take off from the very top of the wake by extending both legs. You really want to push against the wake with both legs equally and stand as tall as you can while keeping the handle in.
This will give you some great pop and you will stay in control for the landing, so have no fear from the energy you build up and release by using this technique.

All this sounds way more difficult than it is, but nevertheless it takes some practice --- but I promise, it will be worth it!!! It's also the very key to more advanced tricks like back rolls etc.

So keep going at it and have some fun