Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-11-2013, 8:31 AM Reply   
Hey guys,

I have a 2011 Supreme V226 that throws an amazing wave but the warranty is up at the end of next Summer and I'm looking to trade up to a new (or slightly used) Centurion, and the FX-22 has caught my eye. We only surf in my crew, and I don't have kids so I'm not trying to find an all-around ski boat to tube or ski behind either. Best surf wave if what I'm after!

I love the deep V hull on the Supreme V226 and the FX-22 seems to have a similar hull (which I'm looking for because we have a fairly big lake up here in VT, and the Supreme hull cuts through the chop when I need to get on the main lake and cruise downtown). They also appear to have similar freeboards which I really like!

Not sure I need the bigger engine (sounds like the stock 343 does a good job?) but really looking to get some feedback/input from someone who's surfed behind one of these and has an idea what type of wave you get from the Supreme V226. I'm not looking to go backwards regarding my wave size/length, but there aren't any dealers out East here that carry the FX-22's...I ran into the same situation when it came to buying my V226, so I ended up buying it sight-unseen/never test-drove it and couldn't have been happier. Needless to say, I'll likely end up doing the same and just trading in my V226 and arranging for the dealer to ship out the FX and pick up the V226 in exchange.

I'm looking for quicker ballast fill time (likely would go with a 2013 leftover model vs the 2014, even though the 2014 has the Ram Fill option) along with better fit/finish/gadgets...still trying to keep it under $70-75k.

Thanks for any feedback...at this point, I'm not really looking for other boat brand suggestions so please no thread highjacking
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-11-2013, 9:20 AM Reply   
Cal Marine Sports has a 2013 244 for 69,999.00 you could prob get for 68K
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-11-2013, 9:21 AM Reply   
sorry, I see your way east of cali
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       10-18-2013, 6:35 AM Reply   
I thought this thread would have gotten more traction, considering the V226 is one of the best waves out there and the loyal Centurion fans love their wake, guess there just not many FX22's out there yet
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-18-2013, 6:58 AM Reply   
I have not heard of many of them selling so hard to find too many loyal users. I am sure after a few years you will see more out there. Get out there and demo it and give your feedback.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       10-18-2013, 9:34 AM Reply   
Pro Wakesurf Rider Emily Agate rides one. My buddy Adam got to ride behind hers at Worlds a couple weeks ago, He said that the Surf is as good if not better than an Enzo 233 and probably on par with the 244. He liked it so much He is buying an fx24....

you can't go wrong with it, personally I think they aren't the best looking boats but after personally riding behind a 2009 enzo 244...Holy Crap.... What a friggen wave!!! It was just...Limitless!!!! (im coming from riding a 21 foot mb sports f21 tomcat mind you..)
Old     (wideman55)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-20-2013, 4:06 PM Reply   
Hey Greg,
I am 31 and would consider myself an advanced surfer coming from a 2006 Centurion Lightning C4. 250 pound rear locker tanks, with front tank, and we fill a 250 pound fat sac in whichever side we're surfing.We spent the last few months of the season here in Canada test driving boats to make a decision for next year. The Lightning was our first boat and by chance we lucked out without even a test drive. It was our first wakeboard boat and it was the last one they had in the shop. Now, I would never not test drive again but all I can say is the boat had been rock solid since day one. The only thing we ever had to do was replace a distributor cap. Still drives and sounds like new and surprisingly out surfs most boats on the lake.

We all surf in our family too. In the new boat we were looking for:

1. Surf Wake Quality (size, shape, power)
2. Faster ballast filling.
3. More space for our growing family.
4. Improved surf wake on the goofy side. (my side)

We had seen the Mastercraft X-25 for the past few years and the boat show and figured that would be our next boat eventually. After all it had tons of space, great finish, faster ballast, and the sales reps always boasted it had an amazing surf wake.

We finally got out on the lake with the dealer, filled the stock ballast and full trim tabs. I started surfing this wave and couldn't believe how bad it was. I was honestly shocked I could barely stay in the pocket. Dealer starts turning in circles to try to shape it better but same result. Never in eight years have we had to drive our Centurion in circles to shape the wake. After 5 minutes I stopped and the dealer fills up the 500lb sac in my corner. Helped for sure, but still garbage. Beautiful boat, huge nasty bow rise, and awful surf wake.

Dealer was convinced we should ride the X-10 so we went out the next week in it. Very similar boat with an improvement in wake but would never pay 100K for a wave still worse than our 2006 Centurion.

I should mention my brother in law surfed the regular side with the same conclusions as me.

Now we had to rethink everything. We test drove a Tige Z3 which the dealer insisted was still their best surf boat. Big improvement over both Mastercrafts waves but the tanks take soooo long to fill. They use a pass through in the rear lockers that fills though the fat sac and into the hard tank. About 13 minutes roughly from empty to surf ready. Wave was about the same as our Centurion. Still a 100K boat.

We didn't even have Centurion on the radar because we had been listening to all the other companies marketing at the boat show for years. We really weren't impressed by the boats in the Centurion booth. Fit and finish was behind Mastercraft, Tige, and Malibu. Called up our local Centurion dealer but didn't have a FX22 demo left. He did arrange to ride a customers FX22 he just took delivery off the week before. Actually the red and black 2014 on the Centurion page from their photoshoot. Equipped with quick fill, pro package, bow ballast. Basically this means 2 hard tanks in hull that open a port to fill in seconds. Bags in each rear locker, bags in each side seat and the bow. Each bag has a dedicated pump and can be controlled easily with the touchscreen filling system.

The first thing I noticed was the fit and finish of this boat. Massive improvement from what I was expecting. I actually like the seats better than Mastercraft because they're firmer. Every time you step on a Mastercraft seat it indents your footprint for a few minutes. MC still has the edge on board racks and glove box but very comparable. The 7" touchscreen was great. Easy to see, easier to use. You don't have to navigate through menus to access the tanks. Just touch the level and it starts filling. Filling the boat went from empty to surf ready in five minutes.

Now the owner of the boat went first. By the time we hit plane my father in law, brother in law and myself looked at each other with our jaws on the floor. This was the biggest, longest, cleanest wake I had ever seen! This guy was surfing 15 feet back no problem and he wasn't even a great surfer, on the goofy side too. Now I could hardly wait to get out there.

The boat ripped me up effortlessly and I had the rope in within 15 seconds. I couldn't believe what I was riding on the goofy side. I didn't think it was possible. The wave was so big and had so much power that I wasn't used to, it took a few minutes to adjust. It was shocking. 15 feet back no problem, 360's no problem. I could also ride way the heck out in the flat. I'm used to riding at 4-6 feet to keep enough power in the wake for 360's. I only rode for 10 minutes but that was all I needed.

So we were all pumped. Done deal for me. Didn't need to ride anything else. Went to the dealer the next week and signed the deal. Came to 84k, Canadian, fully loaded with speakers, led and all options except upgrading the trailer. We added the CATS fin which should make it even better.

What about RAM FILL? This was a big point of discussion in our family. I wanted it, father in law (engineer) not convinced. He wanted to see how this technology worked so we had vales from centurion and even talked to the head of Centurion for an extended time. Here's the thing about ram fill. The intake hoses are only connected with gear clamps and there is no bypass. This fitting is under constant force as the water is forced in. If that ever blows out you are filling you're hull with a 2" line and there's nothing you could do to stop it. It would sink your boat in under 3 minutes. Is it ever going to happen? Probably not, but with little kids on the the boat we didn't want to take that chance.

We also thought that you got more weight with Ram Fill which is not correct. It's almost 500 pounds less. Ram Fill does give you more storage space but its still limited. The hard tanks come right up under the side seats. You could fit a pair of skis or paddles but that's about it. Back lockers give you lots of space. The bag system when filled takes ALL space. To be honest this was our number two concern on the list but the wake was so amazing we decided we'd deal with it somehow.

What sealed the deal was the price. 84k all in compared to about 105k for the Mastercraft or Tige. After riding them all it was impossible not to go with Centurion again. If you wakeboard it might be a different story although, the Centurion wakeboard wake looked good too. If you only surf then honestly your search is over. You always hear that "there's no replacement for displacement." and I think what sets Centurion apart is their deep V hull shape.

Our boat is going into production in 2 weeks and it's going to be a long winter. We did get 10% off because Centurion was offering it. Basically they want to keep building boats all winter. No idea how long that will last. If you don't have a dealer you could call Absolut Water Sports in Calgary. Jeff is the owner and I sure he could arrange something. He talks to the Centurion management daily. Apparently they sell the most Centurions in North America.

Hope that helps.
Old     (whatshesaid)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-22-2013, 9:03 AM Reply   
Great info on the FX22, sounds like the only dealer to spend the time dialing in the surf wave was the Centurion dealer. I know the other boats you you rode will surf, and surf very good when dialed in. I have be very interested in more info on the FX22, THANKS!
Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-21-2013, 2:35 PM Reply   
Jesse, awesome info! I'd love to test drive one of these boats, but my best option is possibly driving down to the Boston Boat Show at the end of February...and that's IF Centurion is there? I'm actually speaking with Todd G @ Centurion right now but now I'm also considering the FX44 since my financials recently improved (my closest dealer is +250 miles south or about 100 miles north into Canada). Both of you guys have me sold on the FX! I appreciate the differences you outlined regarding the Ram Fill versus sacks. 5 minutes doesn't seem too long to wait for the ultimate wave but I'd also be interested in seeing how it looked/surfed with the -500 lb difference? I'll likely pull the trigger in Feb/March and be sure to keep you posted!
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       12-23-2013, 5:36 AM Reply   
Just Surfed the FX44!!! Hands down the baddest Wake for factory I have ever seen! Both sides were amazing!! and only in 40 seconds or so! Check out Pictures & a video here.. Just incredible that without any extra weight or anything. Just great Hull design and water displacement!

https://www.facebook.com/wakesurflka

https://www.facebook.com/pages/WakeS...5618?ref=br_tf
Old    SMDFSRK            12-23-2013, 7:06 AM Reply   
I don't care how much time someone takes with a Mastercraft, they DO NOT surf good. You can not get them to surf good. They will however surf acceptably until you get behind a legitimate boat that is designed from the hull up with surfing as the main focus, and you realize "Man, my boat sucks for surfing." What don't you Mastercraft/Malibu/Nautique guys understand? A boat with more dead rise that extends clear to the transom, or DEEP-V style hull (read CENTURION/SUPREME/SANGER/MB in that order) of the boat will cut deeper in the water therefore displacing MORE water that your typical wakeboard derived hull that flattens out at the transom. It's not a real difficult concept to understand. Tiges will surf good, not great. The pocket is short, and steep. You can hardly surf outside the pocket and you have to be right on the platform. The Convex hull doesn't displace nearly the amount of water as a DEEP-V hull as it too flattens out at the transom. The CONVEX is an overly hyped marketing driven wakesurf hul. Here's a couple FACTS for you Tige honks, the last 8 World Wakesurf Champions; Centurion riders. Tiges big gun, doesn't even own A boat. Take what you will from that.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       12-23-2013, 7:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMDFSRK View Post
I don't care how much time someone takes with a Mastercraft, they DO NOT surf good. You can not get them to surf good. They will however surf acceptably until you get behind a legitimate boat that is designed from the hull up with surfing as the main focus, and you realize "Man, my boat sucks for surfing." What don't you Mastercraft/Malibu/Nautique guys understand? A boat with more dead rise that extends clear to the transom, or DEEP-V style hull (read CENTURION/SUPREME/SANGER/MB in that order) of the boat will cut deeper in the water therefore displacing MORE water that your typical wakeboard derived hull that flattens out at the transom. It's not a real difficult concept to understand. Tiges will surf good, not great. The pocket is short, and steep. You can hardly surf outside the pocket and you have to be right on the platform. The Convex hull doesn't displace nearly the amount of water as a DEEP-V hull as it too flattens out at the transom. The CONVEX is an overly hyped marketing driven wakesurf hul. Here's a couple FACTS for you Tige honks, the last 8 World Wakesurf Champions; Centurion riders. Tiges big gun, doesn't even own A boat. Take what you will from that.
This guy is like JetRanger but not as funny
Old    SMDFSRK            12-23-2013, 8:34 AM Reply   
JetRanger seems to be a smart, articulate, educated individual who uses independent thinking, rather than listen to others tell him how a semi-planing hull is as good or better for wakesurfing than a displacement of DEEP-V style hull is. Even with all the crap you strap on the transom to create this supposed "evenly weighted boat" for wake surfing. Bull****, you can't surf either side for **** without adding another 750lbs. in a Malibu to the surf side. Then the off side is short and steep. Boy, what a benefit they are. Get real. For the family cabin where wakesurfing is an afterthought yeah great, but not the family who dedicates their entire weekend to surfing would that boat benefit them what so ever. Happy holidays!

Last edited by SMDFSRK; 12-23-2013 at 8:43 AM.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-23-2013, 8:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
JetRanger seems to be a smart, articulate, educated individual who uses independent thinking, rather than listen to others tell him how a semi-planing hull is as good or better for wakesurfing than a displacement of DEEP-V style hull is. Even with all the crap you strap on the transom to create this supposed "evenly weighted boat" for wake surfing. Bull****, you can't surf either side for **** without adding another 750lbs. in a Malibu to the surf side. Then the off side is short and steep. Boy, what a benefit they are. Get real. For the family cabin where wakesurfing is an afterthought yeah great, but not the family who dedicates their entire weekend to surfing would that boat benefit them what so ever. Happy holidays!
You obviously have NO IDEA what you're talking about based on your statement, "a semi-planing hull is as good or better for wakesurfing than a displacement of DEEP-V style hull is". That makes it clear that you know nothing about boats and hulls.

All wake boats are V hulls, they are NOT "semi planing" or whatever that is supposed to mean. Wakeboats have LESS bow rise than an I/O or outboard when planing because they are inboards (which gives the prop a different angle), not because of their hull design.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       12-23-2013, 8:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
I think it is JetRangers brother lol..
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-23-2013, 8:58 AM Reply   
Also, OMG LOOK, a Mastercraft with a Deep V Hull!!!!

http://www.wakeboardingmag.com/boats...ats-x-35-2009/
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       12-23-2013, 9:01 AM Reply   
And a merry Christmas to you too, Ebenezer SMDFSRK
Attached Images

Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-23-2013, 9:06 AM Reply   
Not agreeing or disagreeing with SMDFSRK,but he was talking about dead rise not bow rise.They are two different things.Dead rise is the angle of the hull to the ground with the boat on its keel.
Old    SMDFSRK            12-23-2013, 9:07 AM Reply   
You obviously cant read for **** either Tommy
Old    SMDFSRK            12-23-2013, 9:12 AM Reply   
Thank you Jay T. Tommy boy hasn't the first clue on hull design or displacement theory. Tom you look silly just shhhhhh...... Nice job on picking apart my statement and making it look as though I was claiming that a semi planing hull was superior to a displacement or DEEP-V style hull. Are you a member of the media?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-23-2013, 10:29 AM Reply   
You must have mis-understood me my friend. I wasn't saying that you thought V was better than Deep V. You never even mentioned V hull. You mentioned "Semi Planing Hull".

- Deep V might be superior for surfing, i agree there.
- There is no such thing as a wakeboat with a "semi planing hull". All wakeboats are V Hulls that fully plane off.
- You claimed that Mastercraft cannot surf well because they are not Deep V. I simply showed you a Mastercraft with a Deep V.

Point being, you're an idiot and you should go troll elsewhere. Every manufacturer has boats that probably surf pretty well. They probably also have some boats that probably DON'T surf as well as others.

You came into a thread where someone is asking for opinions on the FX-22 and you start spewing vitriol hate about all sorts of brands and using completely irrelevant and wrong terminology. Take that **** elsewhere. This forum is tired of the trolling.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 12-23-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-23-2013, 10:40 AM Reply   
If you would like to learn the correct terminology so that you don't sound like and idiot in the future, you read the following wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull_%2...Categorization
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       12-23-2013, 11:10 AM Reply   
Every other MC fanboy must be on vacation this week...
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-23-2013, 11:26 AM Reply   
Me a MC fanboy? That's hilarious. I own a Centurion and soon am upgrading to an Axis. Simply posting facts because I don't like when people spread misinformation.

I didn't sing the praises of any boat in this thread.
Old    SMDFSRK            12-23-2013, 12:34 PM Reply   
I'll direct you back to the first post I made. The rest is semantics. Lets review. If you are looking for a boat where your focus is slanted towards wakesurfing and you want THE BEST wakesurf wake possible then,:

Deep-V hull that extends to the transom (or rear) of the boat = GREAT!

Convex -V hull that flattens out at the rear of the boat and transitions up allowing the rear of the boat to sink deeper in the water in conjunction with the TAPS plate = Good!

V-Hull that flattens out at the transom (or rear) of the boat = Acceptable.
Old    SMDFSRK            12-23-2013, 12:46 PM Reply   
Sorry to Hi-jack the thread, but if you get a chance you have got to demo the FX22. The adjustability of that wave with the new CATS system is incredible. The RAMFILL is icing on the cake.