Articles
   
       
Pics/Video
       
Wake 101
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (G21)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-25-2014, 5:47 PM Reply   
I bought a new G21 in July and love the boat, up until this week! I was cruising in roughly 40' of water and, without hitting anything, the shaft snapped at the strut! The only warning was a minor vibration about ten seconds before it broke. I've seen post in reference to this problem occurring with other G series Nautique. Has anyone had the same issue with their G?
Old     (sja)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-25-2014, 6:24 PM Reply   
Look at the Planetnautique.com website under forums and there is a thread that has been contributed to for the last 2 plus years on this. Seems to be infrequent but persistent problem. It has occurred with the 450 and 550 engines and in the G23, and 25 (in addition to your 21) I'm surprised CC hasn't been able to stop this problem from occasionally occurring in the almost 3 years since it was first reported. Look at the thread on the above forum and relay your experience so through mass experience we may be able to learn more about why this is still a problem. All boats seem to have very low hours (I think first 50 or 60 hours) so the only consolation I can find as a G owner is that mine has 200hours and hasn't yet failed.
Old     (G21)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-25-2014, 6:48 PM Reply   
Thank you. I have 46 hours on mine. I will check out the link
Old     (sja)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-25-2014, 8:07 PM Reply   
its on page 4 of the general nautique discussion under "G23 drive shaft issues"
Old     (pkh80)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-25-2014, 9:34 PM Reply   
curious is yours a 2014? supposedly the problem was fixed with this model year?
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-25-2014, 9:52 PM Reply   
(Nautique goggles off) It's kind of a combo of musical chairs and pin the tail on the donkey. I wonder what the cause is. Has anyone ever heard an explanation from Correct Craft? (Nautique goggles back on)
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       08-26-2014, 5:16 AM Reply   
Any pics?
Old     (G21)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-26-2014, 5:54 AM Reply   
It's a 2014. I have a few pics I can post.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-26-2014, 7:44 AM Reply   
Ok so let me get this right. The greatest boat of alllll time from the greatest manufacturer of all time that never cuts corners does everything above and beyond everyone else. This must be a troll this does not happen on the best built wake boat in the history of the industry. SHOCKING.

Sorry dude that sucks I would be upset for sure!!!
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-26-2014, 7:44 AM Reply   
Initially I was gonna say maybe a manufacturing defect in the shaft but since this is apparently common on these boats I took a peek at specs... 550 HP with 2:1 gears on a 1.125" shaft in a boat weighing well north of 9000 lbs with a full tank of gas, full factory ballast and 4 adults and gear? Surprised it lasted that long. .. OK after checking some more it looks like the shaft is 1.25". Still, that's a lot of HP and weight.

Since you need a new shaft and prop now may be the time to upgrade to a larger shaft/coupler/strut/log. Log will be a pain to replace but the rest is fairly straightforward and I wouldn't expect it to cost much more than replacing with stock size components. Alternatively replace with stock and get a prop that slips more than what you were running so shaft torque is less.

A simple thing to check on a stock setup is how far behind the strut the prop is, that is how much exposed shaft. Good rule of thumb is half the shaft diameter. Closer is better up to a min distance of 1/2". Max generally acceptable distance is the diameter of the shaft but I wouldn't want to run that big a clearance on anything heavy and with significant power as the shaft will want to whip and vibrate more, wearing cutlass bearings and being more prone to break the shaft.
Old     (okwakebdr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-26-2014, 7:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
Initially I was gonna say maybe a manufacturing defect in the shaft but since this is apparently common on these boats I took a peek at specs... 550 HP with 2:1 gears on a 1.125" shaft in a boat weighing well north of 9000 lbs with a full tank of gas, full factory ballast and 4 adults and gear? Surprised it lasted that long. .. OK after checking some more it looks like the shaft is 1.25". Still, that's a lot of HP and weight.

Since you need a new shaft and prop now may be the time to upgrade to a larger shaft/coupler/strut/log. Log will be a pain to replace but the rest is fairly straightforward and I wouldn't expect it to cost much more than replacing with stock size components. Alternatively replace with stock and get a prop that slips more than what you were running so shaft torque is less.

A simple thing to check on a stock setup is how far behind the strut the prop is, that is how much exposed shaft. Good rule of thumb is half the shaft diameter. Closer is better up to a min distance of 1/2". Max generally acceptable distance is the diameter of the shaft but I wouldn't want to run that big a clearance on anything heavy and with significant power as the shaft will want to whip and vibrate more, wearing cutlass bearings and being more prone to break the shaft.
I'm a Nautique guy, and there is obviously an issue going on here, but...there's some misstatements in your info...

You're right. All 2014s are 1.25" shaft. 2013s were 1.125" However, the 2:1 V-drive does not come with the 550 hp engine. It is still a 1.48:1 All of the naturally aspirated engines come with 2:1 V-drive.
Old     (G21)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-26-2014, 8:35 AM Reply   
My boat has the 409 PCM. The motor and 17x17 prop creates so much torque, the boat cruises with a starboard list when equally weight distributed. To correct, I usually fill the port ballast slightly. I heard back from Nautique today and they know about the issue and are still working to resolve. Meanwhile, they are replacing the parts. Glad I have seatow!
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-26-2014, 10:25 AM Reply   
http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/sh...t=broken+shaft

http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/sh...t=shaft+broken

2nd link above has pictures in very first post.

Normally I would subscribe to the "no pictures then it did not happen". But this is a known problem.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-26-2014, 10:46 AM Reply   
Man, you got shafted.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-26-2014, 10:47 AM Reply   
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       08-26-2014, 11:41 AM Reply   
Yeah I am not buying this thread. I know it is a problem but this guy signed up yesterday and hasn't even posted photos.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-26-2014, 12:44 PM Reply   
I believe the guy, he did not bash nautique at all, he was just asking if anyone else had this problem. He also noted that he loved his G21, big freaking deal that its his first post. maybe he was advised by a friend to post it up on WW. I don't know what you guys with nautiques are reading, but I see no bashing of the product at all. WW is tough!!!! Nuttin but haters on this site!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-26-2014, 12:48 PM Reply   
Wait, are you guys serious with this "I don't believe it" stuff?

You mean to say that you find it harder to believe that someone who is experiencing a known, recorded problem with his very expensive boat would come join a wakeboarding forum looking for insights, threads and history than it is to think that this guy created an account to troll you guys or bad mouth Natique?

You guys are ridiculous. I love the modern era of the internet..
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-26-2014, 12:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv420 View Post
I believe the guy, he did not bash nautique at all, he was just asking if anyone else had this problem. He also noted that he loved his G21, big freaking deal that its his first post. maybe he was advised by a friend to post it up on WW. I don't know what you guys with nautiques are reading, but I see no bashing of the product at all. WW is tough!!!! Nuttin but haters on this site!
beat me to it..

ridiculous..
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-26-2014, 12:58 PM Reply   
Hope you enjoy your . . .
Attached Images
 
Old     (G21)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-26-2014, 4:01 PM Reply   
Here's a pic of my boat. I didn't sign up to bash anything, I was doing my own research so I could be informed. Like I said in my post, Nautique is going to replace the shaft while they figure a long term solution. Some of you are wound a little too tight. Relax!
Old     (G21)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-26-2014, 4:10 PM Reply   
My G
Attached Images
 
Old     (PotatoShack)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-26-2014, 5:05 PM Reply   
Very nice looking boat. I hope you get back on the water soon.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-26-2014, 5:29 PM Reply   
Now show us your shaft! Disregard, that does not sound right.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-27-2014, 12:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiboy614 View Post
I agree it can happen, I had a 2006 SA 220 and the shaft broke, I tried to turn it in to my insurance company and they sent a "metallurgist" out to look at my shaft to determine if I hit something or if it broke because of a faulty shaft.......they were able to look at the shaft and determine it was a bad shaft, so I do know it happens, I just feel this is a "one post troll" bashing the G with some hidden agenda.
He can easily post a pic and put me in my place, I am transparent with who I am (look at my profile) I own a Nautique, I have many friends on here that own Malibu's, Mastercrafts, we all own boats and know that sometimes **** just breaks without a good reason.
My gripe is.....would you start up a post bashing your boat brand? I would read up about it, then contact my dealer, contact Nautique and get it handled........now if they didn't handle it to my satisfaction, I would then take it to WW to start the bashing cause WW'ers love to hate!!
Lighten up Francis. My Nautique goggles are relatively thick but, worrying about preserving "your boat brand" usually is really just a means of preserving your own ego. I'm sure you'll agree later in life. I used to be the same way. Not so much any more... Why be "that guy?"
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-27-2014, 12:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by seth View Post
Now show us your shaft! Disregard, that does not sound right.
Now that's funny.

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 2:21 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2016 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us