Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-30-2008, 8:58 PM Reply   
I just got approved for an Epic..
Has anyone rode behind it that can give me some insight on the boat?? Wake shape?? I know the size is huge b/c of the ballast... But what about everything else??
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-30-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
I wouldnt buy anything Ihave personally rode behind or tried out... that goes for everything. Demo it!
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-30-2008, 9:19 PM Reply   
I liked the steep hard wake but I only wakeskated on it. Took a little getting used to on the driving front, the motor was loud but oh-so-powerful, and the sound system is thumpin'. The only thing I remember not liking was the throttle control and how it came very close, even touched in some positions, to the steering wheel.
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-30-2008, 9:24 PM Reply   
yea..for sure.. i was just seein wat some owners would say!
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-30-2008, 9:25 PM Reply   
so... paul .. the wake is steep??
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-30-2008, 9:41 PM Reply   
Its like a 210nautique on roids... If I had $$$ to drop on any new boat that would be the one....

Every epic I have been in/behind I have loved.
its the only boat you can buy, drive to the lake and have it 100% ready to ride, and enjoy the ride

Monster stock wake, great sound system, roomy.

good buy!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-30-2008, 10:18 PM Reply   
I got to ride one for the first time last week, as advertised the wake is large and crazy steep. The boat was pretty loud but seemed well put together and pulled that boat out of the water like nothing. Pics are with full ballast and 8 people. Props to Justin for the ride & the pics.
Upload
Upload
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-30-2008, 10:19 PM Reply   
does anyone actually use the 4000 lbs of ballast wen they wake.. or is it mostly for surf.. seems like it would just make a straight up wall of water??
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-30-2008, 10:23 PM Reply   
that doesnt look like my kinda wake... can you tune them down with that trim tab to be a lil more rampy and not so steep... im askin so many questions b/c i got a awesome offer for one.. and i was just super curious.. cause their website and myspace dont really show too much
Old     (charman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-30-2008, 10:28 PM Reply   
that's a freaking monster
Old     (bizz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-01-2008, 12:28 AM Reply   
Ryan I use all 4000 pounds. You can even add more if you want because the motor is so strong. In my Epic I just basically run stock ballast and the trim tab on 75. It is money. It is best described as a malibu wake with a nautique wake stacked on top of it. Hope that helps. If you have any more questions let me know.

Jaret Brantley
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-01-2008, 2:14 AM Reply   
just the guy i need.. once you set that plate correct.. is it a lil more rampy then the pic above?? looks like a wall here with just a lil too much lip.. and with all that motor.. how is it on gas????
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-01-2008, 6:44 AM Reply   
Giant engine,4000lbs ballast I'm sure it's very efficient
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-01-2008, 7:41 AM Reply   
Well let me start by saying the wake is awesome. We spent all day Friday and half a day on saturday. Tony is now in love with the Epic wake. He was able to throw and land a method crow 5 a nose grab 720 and a nose grab crow 5. He said dont let the steep look fool you. He was able to charge the wake just like he does on the Malibu but the pop was amazing and very controlled. We left the back tanks at 75% and filled all the others then added 360 lbs of lead up front and the wake was amazing. Handles great gets on plane in a hurry. also used less gas by the end of the day then we do in our fully loaded Malibu with a 320 hp motor. motor works alot less then the smaller engine. I will post video if the tricks and the wake later today.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-01-2008, 9:46 AM Reply   
Heavy, where were those pics taken?

Ben, very nice. How's things going? I'm gonna try to call you in the next couple of days, as I have some questions for you about a different subject.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-01-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
Good review Ben and Heavy.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-01-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   
BBR sent you a PM
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-01-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
anybody on the delta got one they wanna let me ride behind ? I can prove whether or not chargin that wake is possible
Old     (wayz)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-01-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
Jaret, wassup! I haven't seen you post in a long time. We need to ride again soon. My knee is recovering well. I got to get behind your Epic and jack my other knee up. hahaha
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-01-2008, 10:34 AM Reply   
BadBoyRipper those pictures were taken at Saguaro in Mesa, AZ

Ryan P I have a Epic and I love it! I bought Jaret Brantleys Boat its all gray.. and then I bought another Black one. But anyways... you will love the wake! Yesterday we went out and the water was perfect!! And I put full ballast and put the rope out 80 ft. witht he tab about 25 percent... it was glorious!! I had so much fun. Those Pictures of Heavy are behind my boat but the water was so bad that day and it throws the wake off a bit... but that is with anyones boat.
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-01-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
Jaret you ride the tab at 75 percent? I haven't tried that yet... But I have been having luck putting it down about 25 and it rocks... so I was just curious what you thought.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-01-2008, 10:42 AM Reply   
BBR, that was at Lake Saguaro out side of Phoenix. Went on a little vacation out there. I would have loved to ride the boat in some butter water, it was rough as crap out there. For the size of the wake I am going pretty small, I only rode it at 75' of rope as it was too rough to take a full cut at it. Pretty fun to just coast in on a slight edge and then all of a sudden feel the wake kick you and have that much time in the air. That first pic is a 3 that was so floaty and fun, you can see how fast that wake puts you UP, I'm probably 5-6 foot up and not even to the middle of the wake yet!
Old     (ynot)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-01-2008, 11:48 AM Reply   
http://deltawakeboardcamp.com/
They have an EPIC at the camp(the delta) that they use. Its right off of 8mile road. go check them out. ill be up there july 5th for the weekend.
Old     (ynot)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-01-2008, 7:48 PM Reply   
oh and believe me you wont be disappointed by the wake. its HUGE.
Old     (bizz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-01-2008, 8:16 PM Reply   
Justin,

I ride at 75% on the new board because I believe that they changed them. But on the Grey Ghost I rode 25%. I usually added about another 500 in the walk way and called it good. The perfect wake.

Jaret
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-01-2008, 8:36 PM Reply   
I'm hearing from Robby C and Alex that it's big for sure, but a little to sensitive to people moving in the boat and causing the wake to roll over or wash out.
Old     (ynot)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-01-2008, 9:30 PM Reply   
yea randy the first time i rode behind one i totally didnt like it. but then i talked to jimmy wolf and asked how he weighted his because all i heard from him was good things. so this last time i got to ride it we put 360lbs of led in the front, back tanks at 3/4, and the trim at 75% and it was two times my normal wake. The next day we took it to the public lake and it was super rollery but didnt was over just about at all. the EPIC is the best wake i have ever had the chance to ride.
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-02-2008, 6:33 AM Reply   
Jaret-
ya we just fill it and put the trim at 25 percent just like you said. We have so much fun on it... Thanks for the advice.
Old     (lukewtwt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-02-2008, 7:01 AM Reply   
Funny that people are adding weight to a boat that has 4000 lbs. in stock ballast, when that amount was picked to eliminate the need to add more weight.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-02-2008, 7:33 AM Reply   
Edub, every wake needs a little here and there to shape it and get the most out of it. Notice they're not throwing 600s on the floor just to get something ridable.
Old     (raequelhoffman)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-02-2008, 8:08 AM Reply   
I like how with so much weight in the boat, you still don't have to go that fast because of the 8.1 L engine. It also gets up to plane in less than 5 seconds. Other boats with that much weight in it usually have to go really fast and take forever to plane out. We put about 300lbs of lead in the front, but we don't need it all the time. We usually have the ballasts 3/4 full in the back and 60% trim. With us, the wake might get a little inconsistent if there's too much weight in the boat (more than the stock 4,000lbs). But then again, Jimmy Wolf puts puts lots of weight in his boat and it's perfect.
I think the wake shape is really comfortable and trustworthy. I just started riding again after I hurt my knee. At 85 feet, I can trust myself not to go too far into the flats if I don't want to and also not to case the wake.
Old     (bnall)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-02-2008, 9:51 PM Reply   
I really don't understand why everyone says this wake is so steep? Comin from a MC I was really worried when we boat our boat in April it was gonna be way to steep, and take some gettin used to... but it is not near as steep as my buddy's '05 210 Team Nautique... I'm still loving the wake so much at 80' with all the ballast at 1/2 and about 250-300 lbs of lead in the front with the trim at about 60%, runnin about 23mph... At 6'-3" the wake is well over knee high and has a nice lip!... Oh and its not near as wide as a wakesetter wake so you can take everything in the flats without fear of casing at 80'.

(Message edited by bnall on July 02, 2008)