Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-26-2004, 9:35 AM Reply   
To all,

Fellow wakeboarder and WakeWorlder Danny Dean is in the Critical Care Unit this morning at Scottsdale Osborne Hospital resulting from a trampoline incident. I don't have too much info at this time except that he has a serious injury and cannot feel his legs.

For those of you who don't know, Danny is a Arizona local pro and rides in the Outlaw division of the Arizona Wakeboard Association (AWA). Danny also volunteers his time and judges for the AWA. Oh yeah, he is also a really nice guy and an avid supporter of wakeboarding. This is a most unfortunate event and it couldn't have happened to a better person.

We pray that Danny's injuries are only temporary and our thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

Jerry Lembas
Fluid Concepts
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       01-26-2004, 9:50 AM Reply   
My prayers go out to Danny and his family.
Old    emoney            01-26-2004, 10:00 AM Reply   
Very unfortunate accident, wishing for a safe and positive recovery..www.PIERx.com
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-26-2004, 10:34 AM Reply   
In our thoughts and prayers Danny ~ God Bless.

Old     (cfisher)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-26-2004, 12:02 PM Reply   
Best wishes to Danny for a full and speedy recovery.
Old    xtremebordgurl            01-26-2004, 12:16 PM Reply   
My best thoughts and wishes go out to Danny, his family and friends, prayers for a speedy recovery, God Bless and good luck.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-26-2004, 12:24 PM Reply   
dude tjhat sucks hope he pulls through...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-26-2004, 12:28 PM Reply   
Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-26-2004, 12:35 PM Reply   
Get well soon, Danny!
Old    deltahoosier            01-26-2004, 12:36 PM Reply   
Sorry to hear that. My prayers are with him.
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-26-2004, 12:38 PM Reply   
In my thoughts and prayers, Danny... Get well soon.
Old    leftcoastpunk            01-26-2004, 12:49 PM Reply   
Hope you have a speedy recovery Danny. Jerry, keep us posted on the details when you get them.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-26-2004, 1:05 PM Reply   
My prayers go out to Danny and a speedy recovery.
Old    wakemeupaz            01-26-2004, 1:11 PM Reply   
Danny, my family and I will be praying for you.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-26-2004, 1:15 PM Reply   

Your in our thoughts Danny, Get well soon bro.
Old     (wake2wake103)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-26-2004, 1:42 PM Reply   
Have a speedy recovery Danny
Old    katester            01-26-2004, 3:17 PM Reply   
I just spoke with the hospital (Danny's nurse) and Danny is still in CCU. His nurse couldn't tell me much but just that he was doing better. He will be moved out of CCU in a few days. She told Danny that I called and he told his parents to call me and give me an update. Legally she can't pass any info on over the phone. She did say that Jen had been in to see him though. So Jen probably knows more details. When he moves into a normal room then we can go visit.

We'll keep you in our prayers Danny!!
Old    buttacup            01-26-2004, 6:52 PM Reply   
Hope you're feeling better soon, Danny!
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-26-2004, 7:31 PM Reply   
The Fu is with you! Get well soon!
Old    road_hawg            01-26-2004, 11:30 PM Reply   
RE: Danny Dean....Hi to all this is Danny's dad, Doug Dean. It is truly amazing and wonderful to see such support for our Danny!!! You riders rock! We just left Danny's room in ICU. He has sensations in all extremities but has no volutary control of any part of his body below his arm pits. He has limited use of his arms, cannot make a fist. Prognosis is guardedly optimistic. His surgery innvolved reconstruction of vertebrae C5 & C6 using cadaver bone and titanium plating to fuse the two rebuilt bones. The disc is shot and I'm still unsure as to what they did about that issue. At first, Danny was unable to breathe without the assistance of a ventilator but this morning he had the tube removed from his throat and he can speak again. His attitude is totally positive! He wants everyone to know he will ride again and he emphasized that your thoughts and prayer make all the difference. Your support also bouys our (his parents') spirits as well. THANK YOU!
Doug & Becky Dean
Old    road_hawg            01-26-2004, 11:37 PM Reply   
Forgot to mention special thanks to Jen Brewer and Katie Furniss, Mike, Brett, Sherri, and you other wake-riders who made the efforts to make Danny's day a lot brighter! Doug
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-27-2004, 6:23 AM Reply   
You will ride again Danny, stay strong bro.
Old     (bobbyb)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-27-2004, 7:50 AM Reply   
Danny, My thoughts and prayers are will you. And i hope you have a speedy recovery.
Old    shirows            01-27-2004, 7:54 AM Reply   
hope you will be fine soon and see pics of you on your board.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-27-2004, 9:28 AM Reply   
This is terrible, but I'm happy to hear everyone is optimistic, and that he is moving and has feelings in all extremities.

I hope it's not inappropriate to ask at this point, but does anyone know what exactly happened?
Old     (peeejay)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-27-2004, 11:51 AM Reply   
OUR PRAYERS OUR WITH YOU DANNY!

THE LYONS FAMILY
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-27-2004, 12:52 PM Reply   
don't know the guy, but hope danny makes a full recovery, this is the second tramp injury I know of in the last few weeks, scary stuff.
Old    tombugg            01-27-2004, 12:57 PM Reply   
To Danny and Family,
When I got the call Monday morning from Jerry I was devastated. I think of all my members as family but you Danny have always been special to me. You have a great outlook on life and are a tremendous representative of both your religious beliefs and the AWA. My family and I, and your extended family (The AWA) are all praying for a full and quick recovery. I have seen you work hard to make great strides in your wakeboarding within a very short period of time. I remember "someone" telling me "No way you can bump me into the Outlaw class, I am not ready to compete against those guyz, They will kill me!" I was confident you would do well (and I was sick of you kicking my butt in the Advanced class ) You came out swinging and worked your butt off and had an incredible season finishing SECOND in the state!!! Your very first year!! I again am 100% confident in your abilities and in God that you will be out there to take the AWA Outlaw State Championship, just like you did a year ago in the Advanced Class. I am regretfully out of state on business, and can not come visit, but you can bet that board of yours that I will come visit as soon as I possibly can. Best wishes to you and your family in this difficult time, and know that there are many of us out there that love you, and are pulling and praying for you! As soon as we can we will try to get an AWA visit and over run your recovery room.

Best Wishes On Behalf of the Arizona Wakeboard Association,

Tom Bugg
THE AWA!
Old     (got_river)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-27-2004, 1:41 PM Reply   
Very well said Tom...

Best wishes Danny.

Josh
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       01-27-2004, 1:54 PM Reply   
Good luck and stay strong danny. It truly is all about a positive attitude--a good example is mike page (professional snowboarder). Keep your head up!
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-27-2004, 2:43 PM Reply   
I don't know you either Danny but my prayers go out to you and your family. Get well and stay strong!
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-27-2004, 2:46 PM Reply   
Best wishes for a complete recovery. One of my friends broke his neck several years ago and was told he would never walk again. This past summer he learned to wakeboard and wakesurf!
Old     (fubar)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-27-2004, 8:56 PM Reply   
Danny,
We're all praying for you. We know you will pull through this fine.
Old     (fmtpo)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-27-2004, 11:36 PM Reply   
don't know you, but my best friend broke his c-6 when we were in high school and he pulled through just fine. stay postive and heel up quick, summer is coming.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-28-2004, 1:23 AM Reply   
best wishes danny. with all this love and support you will want for nothing.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-28-2004, 2:17 AM Reply   
Here are some more details: http://www.wakeworld.com/news/2004/dean1.asp.
Old    whitechocolate            01-28-2004, 5:43 AM Reply   
grow back strong Danny. A quote that help's me threw trying times. "If the Mind can conceive it the body can achieve it", Ill be thinking of you. Grant
Old    tombugg            01-28-2004, 6:16 AM Reply   
Danny! You made the front page of Wakeworld!!! I haven't even been on the front page! This is all just a elaborate marketing scam! Man, you will do just about ANYTHING to market yourself and your product!!! :-) I hope your feeling better. I should be getting back in town Thursday afternoon. I will get a hold of the hospital and if you are able to see visitors I will be there!

Great article Dave, I was going to write you an e-mail to ask you to write something up, guess I didn't need to.. Your a class act.

TomBugg
THE AWA
Old    tattoobling            01-28-2004, 6:47 AM Reply   
Danny, My best wishes for a speedy and full recovery. From everything I've read about you, it sure sounds like you have the strength and support to be back to 100%.
Old    boneman            01-28-2004, 6:52 AM Reply   
Just Read the article... And wanted to wish you a speedy and healthy recovery. All the best from the 412 of Minnesota.
Old     (shewakes)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-28-2004, 7:38 AM Reply   
My thoughts and prayers go out to you Danny all the way from Cali. Be strong and we are all here for you.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-28-2004, 7:52 AM Reply   
Hey Danny and family!! You are in our thoughts and prayers!! God is in control and He is the ultimate Physician!!
Old    cws_kahuna            01-28-2004, 8:02 AM Reply   
Danny, we will be praying for you.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-28-2004, 8:24 AM Reply   
Here's to a speedy recovery, Danny. Pretty much all wakeboarders have that perseverance/tenacity gene running in overdrive. That will be one of your biggest allies in your recovery. I know you will be back soon, pushing it, again!
Old    katester            01-28-2004, 9:07 AM Reply   
Thanks for that fab article Dave! That definitely meant a lot to all of us.
Old    boarderaz            01-28-2004, 9:25 AM Reply   
Hey Danny!

I'm glad you're doing better! Hurting yourself doesn't get you out of AWA duties -At the very least - I expect you to help me out with the announcing at the tournaments this year! I'm sure everyone would love to hear a voice with some expertise that can "call all the tricks!"

If that's not your bag - then you better get better otherwise you on the mic dude!!!

-Danielle }}
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-28-2004, 9:25 AM Reply   
I just heard from Danny's dad this morning and he said that Danny was moved from the ICU to the TNMA (Trauma/Neurological Medical Center) wing of the hospital. If you're sending him stuff, check the updated address in the article (http://www.wakeworld.com/news/2004/dean1.asp.).

Keep getting better Danny!
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       01-28-2004, 9:49 AM Reply   
Danny,

no doubt....you will be back!! When you get your strength back, hit that therapy hard!!!

We wish you the very best!!

Jonathan
Old    birdy            01-28-2004, 10:02 AM Reply   
Best wishes and plenty of prayers for a speedy recovery!
Old    blindsiderider            01-28-2004, 10:23 AM Reply   
My prayers are with Danny and his family in this time of need. I have all the faith that he will have a speedy recovery.
Tony
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-28-2004, 10:42 AM Reply   
Dave W - question of the day - what day is it today?

I guess it was really late and you felt like it was Thursday!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-28-2004, 11:04 AM Reply   
Oops! Isn't it Thursday somewhere? :-)
Old    duffyjoe            01-28-2004, 11:43 AM Reply   
DANNY!!!!!

Our family's prayers are with you and your family! We have seen you perform for years and know that you are one of the most determined and courageous people we know. If anyone can pull through this, we know you can. We love you.

Dave & Lisa Johnson
Old     (d_o_double_g)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-28-2004, 12:08 PM Reply   
God speed Danny.
You are in our prayers.
Old    caprakorn            01-28-2004, 12:15 PM Reply   

Danny! You are one of my best friends ever and most favorite people. I am so sorry that I cannot be there in Phoenix during all of this. So, I sent the next best thing-Matt! We thought you and Natalie would enjoy the nurse's kit. Now she is fully equipped to help assist you during your recovery. ;)

On Sunday when I heard about your accident, I called all of the OG's in Vegas. I talked to Dennis, Greg, Clay and Amber. You have been in out thoughts and prayers ever since then. We all love you so much and have full faith in you and your speedy recovery.

Danny-I know you will come out of all of this 125%! You are such a strong, motivated and driven person in every aspect of your life and I know this situtation will be no different for you. Remember all of those ghetto boats and crazy people we went to Mead with just to get a pull back in the day? We didn't care about the ride, we just wanted a pull out on the lake. We stopped at nothing just to wakeboard. That spirit and determination has brought you so far into the amazing rider that you are today. I know that you will be back on the lake doing whirly birds in no time.

Your family, friends, even strangers, and your heavenly father are there for you now. You are so blessed to have so many caring people around you. You have been blessed with a strong body and mind and I know everything will be restored in full and that you will have your normal life back very soon.

Remember that everyone in Vegas is routing for you from 600 miles away. We love you!

Love eternally, Capra Jensen
Old    tombugg            01-28-2004, 6:46 PM Reply   
Hey Capra!!
We miss you in AZ!

I Talked to Danny on the phone earlier today He sounded GREAT! I can't even begin to say how uplifting it is to hear the spirit in his voice durring this incredibly difficult time for him. I could learn a lot from you Danny! This has really put things in perspective for me.
Danny was so touched by all the posts on here. So, I ask all of you out there that just read the posts on here but do not post,...POST! let Danny know how you feel. It means soooo much to him right now, I can't begin to tell you! Danny has a immense amount of grueling work ahead of him. Your words help give him strength.
Looking so forward to seeing you tomorrow Danny! Keep your head up and stay strong! Chrissy asked me to send her love. She also was devastated to hear the news, but is stoked to hear you are doing so well.

Tom Bugg
The AWA

(Message edited by tombugg on January 28, 2004)
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-28-2004, 7:09 PM Reply   
I don't know you and I've never even heard your name before, but it feels as though a brother has been hurt.

Stay strong BROTHER! Everyone is with you and God is watching over you.

Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-28-2004, 7:17 PM Reply   
Stay strong and hang in their Danny!
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-28-2004, 7:48 PM Reply   
The body does what the mind TELLS it to do. Strength is everything!
Old    kjmxer69            01-28-2004, 8:00 PM Reply   
Danny great to hear that u r getting better. and that u have good spirits about getting back on a board. we all know that it might be a while before that happens, but the time will be well worth it. Keep smiling and stay as happy as u can. It will help u through the days. I will keep praying for you.

See u in the water again!!!!!!
Karen

(Message edited by kjmxer69 on January 28, 2004)
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-28-2004, 8:12 PM Reply   
Danny, through God you can get through anything!
My families' prayers are with you!
You'll be back!
Old    gw_mark            01-28-2004, 8:13 PM Reply   
Stay strong Danny, all our thoughts and prayers are with you. Injury is just a set back in life that we have to over come, you will over come this one.
Old     (wakesk8wannabe)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-28-2004, 8:16 PM Reply   
Its sad. As hard as it is to say I think that we could all (all though a bummer)could live without wakeboarding (like if we had a broken arm), but (from the artical) he was a good person and he can not move his body. That is something I couldn't immagine. If I broke an arm or something wakeboarding that wouldn't be so bad because I could do everything else. I find it amazing to see all of the stories because I have enough pain when I scape my elbows. This was probably over 6,906,678 times worse. I send best wishes and hope you can get on your board in no time.
Old    moninstuff            01-28-2004, 10:31 PM Reply   
A friend of mine was really effected by all of this and brought it to my attention. There are so many people that love and care for you out there, knowing that, stay strong and keep your head clear. My thoughts are with you, danny
Old    road_hawg            01-28-2004, 11:02 PM Reply   
Dave Williams, (and everyone else). Danny Dean's Dad here again. I must tell you how supremely surprised Danny was this morning when I held up my laptop screen where his gaze could see the WakeWorld web-page and the wonderful article you featured on WakeWorld.com! I couldn't get on-line today at all until this late hour but you made one lucky young man very very happy as he lay paralized in his hospital bed. It was a total shock to him. I can't find the words to describe his face. He was so stoked! You have so enhanced Danny's mental state with your kindness. "Thank you" isn't a sufficient enough word to offer in return. This morning Danny had a severe bout of trying to cough up the crud that naturally collects in one's lungs each night and with no control of his diaphragm he couldn't generate enough wind to do the job. He was floundering in his own juices. With help from a respiratory therapist who performed a 'mini-Heimlich' (sp)manuever with each of Danny's efforts we were all relieved to see him finally get to taking normal breaths again. This happened periodically during the day but the drill got better with practice. The best physical news of the day was Danny discovered he can cause his abdominals muscles to tense ever so slightly! We high-fived on that one. Not much else to report but I have shown Danny each and every post on the Discussion Board and they are the very best thing for Danny right now and they are so very valuable to him. Thanks to all who have contributed. Danny wants to dictate a message in his own words to you all tomorrow and I will post it under his board4food1 ID.

With much appreciation,
Doug and Becky Dean and Danny too
Old     (seaswirlmike)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-28-2004, 11:18 PM Reply   
get well soon man dont ever give up!
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       01-29-2004, 7:23 AM Reply   
Hey, flexing his stomach muscles is a start, so that's good news! Stay positive and keep pushing!
Old    aka Brad Beach            01-29-2004, 7:27 AM Reply   
My thoughts and prayers are with you Danny and your family. I will pray for a speedy recovery for you! Don't ever give up man!
Old     (zigzagsd)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-29-2004, 7:49 AM Reply   
best wishes, danny. we're pulling for you!
Old    jetgofish            01-29-2004, 8:38 AM Reply   
Danny best wishes to your full recovery ... My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Old    stormrider            01-29-2004, 10:41 AM Reply   
Danny: last night at the end of our small group bible study they asked if anybody had any prayer requests; I shared your situation and they all agreed to keep you in their prayers. My wife loves to pray-- serious, she gets up at 4:00 a.m. every morning to read her bible and pray for about two hours! As she crawled out of bed I woke up and reminded her to pray for you. My wife has the habit of hounding me, the kids, sometimes her friends but especially God (respectfully, of course) so you can be certain you will be prayed for in San Diego! She loves the story of George Mueller; she keeps a close track on whether her prayers are answered and if they are not she just keeps at it! It's her gift. Expect great things to happen because all things work together . . .
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-29-2004, 4:34 PM Reply   
Danny, I don't know you, but from what I have read about you, if anyone can pull through this situation, its you. What I have read has been an inspiration to me and helped me to realize that some of the things that I think I can't handle are very much manageable. God is with you through everything, keep your chin up and get back ripping soon.
Tiffany Landry
Old    doctorg1            01-29-2004, 9:05 PM Reply   
Danny, Keep praying and keep the faith. The POWER that made the body HEALS the body.
Looking forward to seeing you ride again soon.
Much love and health to you and your family.
Dr.G
Old    stinky5            01-29-2004, 9:15 PM Reply   
danny, looking good, i know i just visited you today but after reading all these messages i felt like i had to post something, i was happy to see you were doing better after hearing from my buddies at school you were on a respirator, my favorite part of the visit was when we were taking off and you lifted your hand and gave me bones, by the way that hand looked tight, what ring were you wearing? haha the videos are coming, stay rockin, shred hard, tweak good, and bust big
late, stinky
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-29-2004, 9:20 PM Reply   
Danny, as Tiffanator said, I don't know you either, and as from what everyone says your an awsome guy and you will get thru this! My prayers are with you, your friends and your family.
take care bro
Old    sshamo            01-29-2004, 10:43 PM Reply   
Danny- Ever since receiving the message Sunday evening while josh and I are living up here in utah, I have spent quite a bit of time on my knees praying. Even though your family and friends are by your side we still wish we could be there for you. Danny you have always been not only a good friend but a great motivator. Hello - who else would have had the patience to teach me how to wakeboard. Remember all the times out at the Phillips lake (and your truck!), the early mornings with sarah, and those hundreds of shows. Not everyone has been as lucky as me to see your incredible strides in wakeboarding and guitar. Something that I noticed about you from day one was your motivation, your patience, and your way with people. These attributes will get you through anything! Danny, give it everything you've got these next couple of months, and when you think it might be too tough hand it over to the Lord. He knows you best! Take care and know you are in my prayers.

Love Stephanie}
Old    p140fs            01-29-2004, 11:51 PM Reply   
Danny we will all see you on the water soon god speed and get well soon
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-29-2004, 11:55 PM Reply   
Danny-
You dont know me but here in my house in Spokane Washington we are all praying for you. Congradulations on being able to flex those abs, you have to start somewhere. Hang in there, the big man upstairs will take care of you!
Old     (jediknight)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-30-2004, 8:34 AM Reply   
Hey Danny,

On behalf of all the wakeboarders across the pond in Ireland, we wish you a speedy recovery and rpay that your great attitude will help to deal with your frustrations over the coming months! Our thought are with you!
Old     (rippenruddy)      Join Date: Dec 2000       01-30-2004, 3:25 PM Reply   
Danny,

sorry to hear what happend

my thoughts and prayers are with you

anything i can do to help it's just a phone call away

just remember you are the man out there, and we all know the first place you'll be after recovery

later
bryan