Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (kho20)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-17-2009, 1:16 PM Reply   
Well the story is I got my boat, a 1988 Invader 197 cuddy, from my grandpa when he passed. Since then it has set for a few years with the exception of my uncle taking it out and destroying it thats a different subject tho but its in full restoration mode now. from gelcoat to decking maybe even a new engine wallet permitting lol... well the idea of this post was to get ideas and viewpoints on some upgrades, and jus see what yall thought? ie i have in my head blacked out white interior and blue rhino line the floor but livin in texas i kno its gonna be steaming hot so yeah any ideas are welcomeUpload oh and sorry for the long post guys
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-17-2009, 1:21 PM Reply   
Have you started any of these upgrades/resto yet?
Old     (kho20)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-17-2009, 1:28 PM Reply   
well im getting everything i wanna do to it in my head so i have a plan to go at it with.. so no besides preping everything to get ready for the tear down
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-17-2009, 1:33 PM Reply   
How much are you planning on spending on this resto? From the sounds you are going to be 5k+ and at that price I bet you could find a decent nautique 2001 or supra rider down in texas. You would be much better off if you plan on using it mostly for wakeboarding.

I would be tempted to either do absolutely nothing to that Invader and get what you can out of it or just get it running and sell or use as a fishing boat. That would be a perfect fishing boat for up here.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-17-2009, 1:39 PM Reply   
I agree with Brett. I think is pretty cool that you want to use your grandpa's boat, but if you sell it and use the money you wanted to do the resto with, you could probably get a decent older inboard.
Old     (kho20)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-17-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
lol yeah id love to have a rider but yeah its not in the cards at the moment and the boat its more im stuck with her bein i inherited it( all i got from grandpa ya kno).. it runs great it jus aint pretty bein the gels baked and the interiors trashed but it is a really good fishing boat and ive only borded behind it a few times like 8 years ago when he had it and if i remember right it thru a decent wake even tho it wasnt designed for that
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-17-2009, 1:58 PM Reply   
check the transom and stringers for rot before you get into it very far.

what's the budget for this project?
Old     (kho20)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-17-2009, 2:06 PM Reply   
I checked and as far as i can tell its not bad not perfect but not bad

and if id say no more than 3000 to start then of course the lil extra here and there after the main details are taken care of... im doing all the work myself as a project so labors not included lol
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-17-2009, 2:15 PM Reply   
If that is the case then I would just wetsand the gel then wax. I am guessing that boat has back to back fold down Seats. If it does I bet you can find those cheap at a marine store or online. For the floor I would just get that textured paint for a garage and go to town. Then get a cheaper tower(monster, trick, titan) and throw that on. Maybe buy a couple 500lb sacs to weight it and you should be golden.

What engine and transmission is in that boat?
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-17-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
Wow, this brings back memories! I have scars on my left hand from replacing the stringers in an old Invader open bow. My great grandpa taught me a lot through the process and I still remember the smell of resin and wood in his garage.
Do the minimum and at least you're on the water!
Old     (kho20)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-17-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
its the volvo penta aq 151( 3.0l 4cyl dual carb) and 290 out it weighs 2800 to 3000 dry and surprising it pulls round 45 no problem so it should be good enough, i found seats bout 180 a piece or i can recover them either way thats happening and i like the idea of the garage coat, but wouldnt that be slippery when wet, i also found as an alternative to rhino lining a rubber coating for like tool grips that you can roll on... and ive been looking for a tower but any tips on where to mount it is it different bein it has a cabin or do i even have to worry?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-17-2009, 3:20 PM Reply   
I believe that garage coating has some texture to it so it shouldn't be too slippery. I could be wrong though. It looks like if you got a Monster tower you could mount the front legs right behind the cuddy windows and the back legs closer to the start of the cockpit.
Old     (kho20)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-17-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
if were thinkin the same garage coat it has the chips you sprinkle in and its slippery with coolant on it so itd prolly be a slip and slide in a boat but maybe if i added sand or somethin when layin it down and i do like the monster towers so maybe thatll work on it if not i mite jus build one to fit