Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (muff)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-17-2009, 10:22 PM Reply   
hey i was wondering if wearing a wetsuit would provide enough flotation, or as much as a life jacket? if youve seen Rewritten, half the movie they're all rockin wetties without jackets. just wondering if thats a good idear or not
Old     (rob_jacques)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-18-2009, 12:34 AM Reply   
Please, always wear a vest, Better safe than sorry my friend
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-18-2009, 5:28 AM Reply   
A wetsuit gives you no flotation.
Old     (evadehickman)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-18-2009, 6:32 AM Reply   
CGA vests will make you float with your head upright so you can breathe. If you are ever knocked out from a fall, that is the effect you will want a vest to have. While a wetsuit provides a little feel of flotation, it won't necessarily help you float upright.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-18-2009, 7:36 AM Reply   
I believe only the type II (near shore) and possibly type I (off shore) will keep you afloat upright. Type III can float you face down.

Please understand in the movies these are professionals and also have camera crews and prob medical teams there to get to the rider quick.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-18-2009, 8:44 AM Reply   
Some NCGA vests I've used have barely floated me, and I know they definitely float better than a mm of neoprene. Rock a vest for sure.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-18-2009, 9:19 AM Reply   
Rob come on man you knew the answer to this question before you asked it! Dry suits will give you tons of flotation no vest needed but you will def. want a vest with your wet suit
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-18-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
wetsuit= no floatation. Don't even try it.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-18-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
Barefoot wetsuits provide flotation similar to CGA vests. Not sure if they're CGA approved, however.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-18-2009, 12:08 PM Reply   
Could just one, just one, professional wakeboarder chime in on one these threads and tell us how many times they have knocked themselves out, broken bones, or have had to been rescued from the water... I bet Randall has knocked himself silly a tons of times. I think if just one of them would step up and tell the importance of lifejacket we could put some of these "too cool for school" no lifejacket threads...
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-18-2009, 12:28 PM Reply   
Please, always wear a vest, Better safe than sorry my friend

Except when making a profile pic.
Old     (all_board_rider)      Join Date: May 2009       10-18-2009, 1:33 PM Reply   
^^ haha busted!
Old     (rob_jacques)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-18-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
That would be a barefoot Suit, so no, not busted
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-18-2009, 2:42 PM Reply   
Andy G is right, most barefoot suits will float you but not many are CGA.
I have an old Casad barefoot suit that I sometimes wear that is CGA.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-18-2009, 3:22 PM Reply   
Wetsuits do provide some flotation, I certainly notice the difference between surfing while wearing a wetsuit compared to boardies, but not enough to stop you from drowning. Wear a vest.
Old     (broncogeoff)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-18-2009, 4:24 PM Reply   
Don't ever expect a dry suit to act as flotation either. Any flotation you get from a dry suit comes from air trapped inside of it. If the seal of the suit is broken (torn gasket, blown zipper, etc) the suit can lose its air or fill up with water in a near instant. There is no substitute for a vest.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-19-2009, 7:33 AM Reply   
Triathletes and other competitive swimmers know that wetsuits do offer some limited flotation or bouancy but it would be negligible when compared to a CGA vest. A wetsuit is definitely not a safe alternative....not even close really.

Now I and others have hopped into the lake more than once with our board and wetsuit on and started sinking thinking what the heck is going on. The wetsuit makes it feel like you already have a jacket on when you are on deck and it is easy to forget. This made for some nervous laughs.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-19-2009, 9:40 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/742044.html?1255969703

end of thread.. wear a vest
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-19-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
Take a lessons from many of those who used to not wear a vest, riders who have passed and recent experience like this weekend and wear your vest. Nobody can float if they are face down not breathing. Not preaching, just a fact!
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-19-2009, 1:22 PM Reply   
I am now a big believer in CGA vests. I don't ever want to put the burden on somebody pulling me to be doing deep dives in murky water looking for my body.

"CGA vests will make you float with your head upright so you can breathe."

Keep in mind this statement is only true if you get ejected from your boots. If you get knocked out face down with your board on, no vest is going to flip you over.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-19-2009, 1:35 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       10-19-2009, 2:28 PM Reply   
Luker is that how your new sponsors would like you to promote yourself and thier brand..... Think about it
Old     (jpg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-19-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
wet suits do provide flotation
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-19-2009, 5:25 PM Reply   
Soli - ^ Seriously? You obviously weren't around for the Saftey Rant post from a few months ago... My feelings on this stuff are very clear... and not likely to change regardless of the circumstance. Of course I appreciate getting some love from a company, but it doesn't mean its time to change the way I act or think, or start censoring what I say... my "forward" opinion and attitude are probably more than 1/2 the reason I got noticed in the first place.... plus it was a joke brodeo...lighten up
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-19-2009, 5:46 PM Reply   
Muff- Im not your mom but since you asked: NO it is not a good idea. period. wear a vest. I had the very unpleasant experience of watching an extremely talented rider float face down unconcious this past weekend and am very grateful for the vest that kept her floating so we could get her quickly back on the boat. I would not wish that experience on your family or friends.
Old     (muff)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-20-2009, 4:50 PM Reply   
well thanks for all the comments! and yeah i've been wearing a life jacket so no worries, and yeah ryan i pretty much did know the answer to that question haha i was just checkin'
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-20-2009, 5:34 PM Reply   
haha good. Phhhheeeeewwww.
Old     (geogilbert)      Join Date: May 2007       10-21-2009, 6:36 AM Reply   
Also the comment about dry suits is scary. If you ever blow a seal in a dry suit it will fill up with water and drown you. Having a life jacket will be the difference between you surviving and not. Even with a jacket it is not a fun experience.