Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (svlwake)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-26-2012, 9:39 AM Reply   
About two years ago in september 2010 ago I dislocated my left shoulder doing a raley (it came out when i was pulling it back down and diving into the water with a dislocated shoulder was not fun). I ride regular so It is my front shoulder that has the problems. I called it an end to my season to let it heal and it still wasn't feeling stabile. I make my way to the gym 4-5 days a week and do shoulder stabilization exercises 3 days a week. After dislocating my shoulder again in may of 2011 I saw an orthopedic surgeon and had an MRI which showed a labral tear all the way down into my biceps tendon. I had surgery and took the whole year of 2011 off (no wakeboarding, mx, snowboarding etc.) My shoulder was feeling strong again after surgery and 12 months of rehab. Well this year I rode 2 times no problem. The third time on my first set I was doing an elephant and it partially came out (subluxed) again. Since than it has been nothing but problems but I still do the exercises regularly. At this point I don't want consider another surgery since the first one wasn't successful and I would hate to postpone my life for another year especially at 22 years old. Sorry for the novel but I'm sure some of you are dealing with this and want to hear your story, input, and advice. Are there any shoulder braces out there to wear when you ride? Thanks for your time.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-26-2012, 11:47 AM Reply   
Your story sounds strangely familiar. I went up for a raley, ditched the handle mid-flight, and came down into a dive. The only difference is I'm goofy footed and it happened at the cable park. A physical therapist and xray concluded it was a dislocation that was a long time coming. Apparently my scapula ligaments were very worn down. Surgery or therapy were my options. I took the therapy route. After another handful of dislocations, I have decided that all raley-based moves just aren't for me anymore. My suggestion is this, be realistic with yourself and with your progression with the sport. I know I peaked in 06-07 and am on a downward spiral now at the ancient age of 26. I'm no longer competitive and like it that way. I now stick with standard inverts and the occasional handle pass as well as wakeskating. The bottom line is the easier you take it on yourself, the longer you will enjoy our sport. I have yet to see a shoulder brace that will give us the necessary range of motion for raley based tricks. Sorry about being Debby Downer
Old     (jake23l)      Join Date: Apr 2012       06-26-2012, 11:57 AM Reply   
I had a bad dislocation 2 years ago. I was just learning and took a really bad faceplant and held onto the rope too long and it popped right out. I was told that there was a 50% chance it would pop back out and if that happened I would need surgery. It popped back out shortly after that and I have been avoiding the surgery. With snowboarding and wakeboarding I really don't want to sit on the bench for 6 months. Now it pops out more frequently (twice this summer), I learned how to pop it back in and just deal with it. A lot of times I can get right back to riding and just work through the soreness. I have learned to pull my elbow in close to my body when I wreck and usually that keeps it from coming out. There is a brace that I looked at, but it keeps your elbow strapped to your body so you lose a lot of mobility and won't be able to do a lot of tricks, but it is an option that is out there.
Old     (svlwake)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-26-2012, 12:46 PM Reply   
Thanks for the responses. Just like you i'm no longer competitive in the sport and I have gave up raley based tricks as well. I completely feel you in being realistic with my progression and luckily landing blind doesn't put me at a risk for a dislocation or hasn't thus far yet (knock on wood). However, just this past weekend I cased the wake on a heel back roll and that jerk was enough to make it come out. I have learned through the multiple dislocations how to put it back in myself as well. I'm getting fitted for a don joy sully shoulder brace this week and ill be riding again next week. I'll be sure to let you guys know how this works out for me. Thanks again.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-26-2012, 1:17 PM Reply   
Let us know if the brace helps. I'll gladly pick one up if it does!
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-26-2012, 2:35 PM Reply   
Two weeks ago while do'n several successful huge Raleys and a couple of S-Bend attempts my triceps and bicep felt really sore, next day it was swollen and bruised, I know I tore the crap out of it. went out again 4 days later and tore it some more. last weekend threw a Raley and NOMO for me this year, hope it heals soon
as far as dislo shoulders they never heal, did both few years back run'n slalom course.
Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-28-2012, 5:28 AM Reply   
I've had shoulder problems for 10 years now, caused from various snow skiing and wakeboarding crashes. I've never had a full dislocation, just subluxation (partial dislocation). My left is worse than the right. I've had an MRI and arthogram and was told I can go to PT and try to rehab, and if that doesn't work, then I can try surgery. I've done PT (twice), and decided against surgery. Once or twice a year, I pop my shoulder (like last weekend swimming). It's tender for a few weeks, and then somewhat gets better. Anything with holding my arm up and out away from my body is where I get into trouble.

I was trying raleys with a short rope and wakeskate a couple years ago. I was getting confident in them, but then at the peak of one, my shoulder popped. I haven't tried one since. I was talking myself into trying them again this year, thinking that maybe the short rope was swinging me more and putting more torque on my shoulder, but after reading this thread, I'm reconsidering.

I've never tried tantrums just because of how you start the takeoff by putting your lead arm up and out. I realize that you should come off edge and not have much line tension, but that's the worst position for my arm and what if I don't get the edge right and end up with a tight rope. Do you guys ever have shoulder issues with tantrums?
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       06-29-2012, 1:07 PM Reply   
I've had 3 shoulder surgeries on my right shoulder by the age of 20. The last time they cut me open all the way and tightened it up. I played D1 baseball so all of my injuries were due to this. I do my shoulder exercises 2x a week and havn't had any problems since the last surgery! Knock on wood!
Old     (cougarfan83)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-03-2012, 9:43 PM Reply   
I have shoulder issues as well. Feel it every time I try a raley. Besides the more expensive braces (don joy sully) has anyone else used any other type of shoulder brace, and do they work? I was looking at buying one of these more simple ones...

http://www.amazon.com/McDavid-Should...ef=pd_sim_sg_3

Helpful, or a waste of money?
Old     (Therapy10)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-04-2012, 6:14 AM Reply   
^^I dislocated my shoulder earlier this year and got a EVS brace from reading a few recommendations on here. It is decent but would likely prevent very little in my opinion. I've modified it so it attaches to my vest so it limits how far the shoulder can move away from the body such as the other braces (which isn't an issue for me since raleys are only in my dreams). something that mimics this would be best to minimize further dislocations http://www.breg.com/products/shoulde...der-stabilizer

All in all it's a tough injury to deal with given the lack of stability in the joint and jarring that it takes during riding. The glenohumeral joint is most unstable with the arm out to the side and externally rotated kind of like a odd touchdown signal, if you've dislocated a shoulder the inherit stability from the joint capsule is lost/minimized so the muscle have to take over or get the capsule/labrum repaired to restore integrity (but this is far from a guaranteed fix).

My best advice (PT, OCS) is to reduce recurrence rates of dislocations and surgery is to get on some serious shoulder rehab (http://jbjs.org/data/Journals/JBJS/704/890.pdf simple but effective), get some brace that limits mobility of the arm away from body, and minimize extreme positions/tricks for a few months after injury.