Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-20-2008, 7:27 AM Reply   
Mikey, it's come a long way and it looks awesome . . . As soon as my transmission gets here I'll be posting install pics of that and hopefully have the boat back on the water within the next 2 weeks
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-20-2008, 9:26 AM Reply   
WakeMikey, what kinda pump is that? Reversible?
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-20-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
hey wakemikey, about the mirror (I assume it is a DIYWAKE) read my post here.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/564809.html?1207531602
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-21-2008, 5:33 AM Reply   
Thanks Monty I feel for ya. Please do post pics - anyone of us could get that project sometime! :-)

Shane it is a BlueWater Simer pump made by FloTec. I got it from hardwareworld.com for like $75 shipped. I posted that in the old Supra thread I think (link at top of this one). It is reversable, but cannot be put near fumes or anything flammable. Works great!!!!!

Clint I read your thread. I apologize I should have gotten brands clear from the beginning. This was an Aerial brand mirror they sell a lot of things on ebay too, although this came from onlyinboards.com. I have yet to speak with them so I am just venting for now.

http://www.aerialwakeboarding.com/aerial-wakeboarding-tower-mirror-arm-swoop-p/bt-mirarm225-pa.htm

This site says the mirror should come with plastic inserts but the mirror bracket is not large enough for inserts to fit I wouldn't think. I also had to take the mirror apart to get it to work. It has no quick disconnect feature and the screws were very soft and the ALLEN wrench rounded the head of the screw.

The glass pane on the mirror seemed very thin and not strong at all. Even on their homepage their mirror is crooked as hell! Sad.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-21-2008, 8:24 PM Reply   
Sunday's round

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-21-2008, 8:28 PM Reply   
And then...

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-21-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
Even more...

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-22-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
What setup are your running for the surf?
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-22-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
Two FlyHighlocker sacs in back (400lbs a piece, one in rear ski locker, one under rear seat) and a 680lb Launch Pad on the port rear floor. Couple people on sitting port sidewall or rear seat.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-24-2008, 1:49 PM Reply   
Where'd you guys go!

Last night we worked on the trailer - new plywood for the wheelwell backing, and restapled carpet in spots. LED waterproof lights and bearing buddies, I LOVE the float on/off trailer. Rollers stink! Trailer buddy is working ok now too. So just drive it on and CLICK! Done. winch strap for backup safety.

Does anyone else use tie-down straps on the rear of their boat when trailering? Ours didn't come w/ any and I don't think the trailer is even set up for them, no eyelets for hooks. Nice!

This is so we can haul her to the cabin for the weekend. Two hours north near Lake Millacs lake in Aitken MN. Hopefully taking a couple more surf boards to demo! Be back on Monday night!

(Message edited by wakemikey on July 24, 2008)
Old     (weswheels)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-24-2008, 4:06 PM Reply   
Dude, you've seen our trailer on a couple of the previous posts. IT SUCKS!!!! If you see any down in the cities for an inboard, similar to what you have, let me or Simon Irish (burberry03) know. Even if it needs some fixing up we'll take it. Ours is a piece and I cringe every time we move it.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-24-2008, 5:23 PM Reply   
Mikey I've never used tie-downs on mine my trailer is setup for it but my platform would have to be removed to strap it. It's kinda weird but I've never had any problem with it
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-25-2008, 8:26 AM Reply   
lol Wes sorry to hear it. I will keep you in mind if I hear of anything. Your boat though is looking great. Hows it been going? Haven't heard much from you in a while.

Monty thanks, I won't bother with 'em - it was fine for the five hour ride home when we picked it up.

Check out THIS craigslist post!! Dude!

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/765687678.html

Supra Sunsport - 1993 - Ski/Wakeboard inboard - $8700 (Lake Elmo, MN)

Great Ski/Wakeboard boat. 20' Supra Sunport. Lots of power and kicks up huge wake. Runs Great! Open bow makes this a great family boat. PCM Engine rebuilt in 2006 - 66 hours on rebuilt engine. Speedometer reads 767. Call 612.384.3538

More photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/Tara55129/1993SupraSunsport20?authkey=qYHTvLFQrk4

Included: Trailer, Cover, Sklyon Fatpole.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-03-2008, 6:26 PM Reply   
Ok so I'm pretty sure I'm going to order up a Fresh Air Exhaust! I don't see an 87 Sunsport listed so I will have to take measurements myself sighh.

Has anyone ever REMOVED the SupraTrap exhaust traps? It seems like most inboards have a simple hole with a rubber flapper on a hinge. SupraTrap exhaust is a metal covering with lots of little ribs like a radiator on a car.

I'm sure I'll have to remove these to measure for the FAE...I don't want to be out of the water until it is installed. :-( I guess I should call them direct.

Also getting another Monster Tower board rack. I really wish there was another brand that had an wake/surf combo rack that was 2.5" with plastic tower protective ring, quick disconnect and adjustable or 45 degree angle mount. Krypt/Bullet Lines has one but I don't think it has quick disconnect.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-09-2008, 6:40 AM Reply   
Looks like this thread died again W..T...F...

Got my two new fat sacs hooked up. Now I have 800 in rear, 800 in front and a 680 surf sac to move around. Hopefully we're near to done now.

Been looking at my rear bench seat, I think I can modify it more to let the sac fully expand if I deconstruct the seat bottom a little more.

Surf wave is above waist now! :-)

Also got one more Monster Tower board rack.

Took measurements for Fresh Air Exhaust and placed my order with Larry. My SunSport has extra wide-apart exhaust holes. They are usually 10-15" apart, mine are 31"!! Hope the FAE doesn't look ghey...

Oh, and the SupraTrap exhaust baffles were no problem to remove and replace. They screw right onto the hull of the boat. I found one screw going into soft wood....
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-10-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
Not dead yet :-) I've been busy as hell once again I think I have too many toys lol but today is the day for the trans install and tomorrow will be the test run. I got the transmission 2 weeks ago and then after taking out the old one we found out what happened to cause it to fail the trans cooler was bad and the water and trans fluid were mixing together and going back into the trans which eventually caused some major issues. Thankfully I have enough toys to keep me busy when one of them breaks I will be taking/posting pictures throughout the install
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-10-2008, 8:13 AM Reply   
Oh and I finally finished my swim deck led install so there will be pics of that too :-)
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-11-2008, 10:58 AM Reply   
Blew my alt belt this weekend. Dead on the water for a couple hours. Fun!

Called Supra and found that my boat needs a new "electronic choke" that should make it start without needing to rev the engine in neutral. Also should help with cold starting.

FAE is in stock ready to ship hopefully today! :-)

I have been finding that after I run REAL hard like surfing or lots of weight, after a couple hours I have a pretty decent amount of water in the bilge. Like 15-20 gallons, takes at least 10-15 minutes to drain. Maybe twice a day if we surf a lot. Wish I could figure it out...I don't THINK it's my ballast system, that only happened once! :-)
Old     (weswheels)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-11-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
Wakemikey,
How much does that "electronic choke" cost you / or will cost you? I'm interested in something like that.
Same here with the amount of water in the bilge. Take your bolt underneath the engine and wrap threadlock or teflon tape around it to really make it seal, and see if that helps. You can also do that with the back plug too.
Old     (da_mose)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-11-2008, 3:48 PM Reply   
Wakemikey,
I had the same water in the bilge problem not quite as bad but it turned out to be my prop shaft packing seal was leaking when it was in gear all I had to do was snug up the packing nut on prop shaft.
Old     (mjpwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-13-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
yeah mikey i second the prop shaft packing... mine was leaking really bad yesterday when we were out riding with like 1100 lbs.... def check that out!
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-21-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
Okay SunSport faithful thank you for continuing to read this thread!!!

Wes I have been reading about how to diagnose the electronic choke it's easy to look at. On the side of the carb is a black plastic piece with red and black power wires to it. Inside is a spring. When you turn the key halfway on the spring gets power and begins to heat up. As it heats up it moves the choke valve. Take off your flame arrestor and you can watch to make sure the choke is working. There should be some adjustment there too. Mine appeared to be working but I guess I may mess with it a bit more.

We also corrected the timing last night and O.M.G the boat runs completly different. Have yet to try surfing or weighting it down but this might make a big difference. The timing was pretty off. We used a timing light to make sure the pulley wheel read 6 degrees at 600 rpm like the manual says. Used chalk to make the marks more visable. When we took off the flame arrestor the carb actually looked pretty clean (without actually disassembling it).

My carb did not have external float sighting holes or external adjustments that I could find! WTH...

OKAY last couple important things. I was suprised that most of you have a old cork-and-strong shaft packing nut because mine has a dripless system, so does Matts and a couple other 87 Supras I have read about. Since Supra likes to do custom things like exhaust and wakeplate, fiberglass and hull design, it pleases me that they used quality technology and my dripless shaft seal works flawlessly.

SO I was looking in back with a flashlight and I could see a steady but slow stream of water running out of my RUDDER SEAL! Where the rudder enters the boat, there are two brass fittings which stack on top each other and rotate when the steering wheel is turned. There is a lot of grease in between them and this is where the water comes out.

I did a bit of searching and it looks like there are a couple types of rudder seals. One has o-rings and you would need to pull the rudder to replace. The other uses grease sqirted into the rudder. I'm hoping I can find a grease gun port and just fill 'er up! But it's a hard spot to access and I wasn't sure what I was looking at. No pic either dangit!

The Fresh Air Exhaust is here and looks great but it needs a different flange from Larry.

My 3D boat numbers from ebay for $40 came but teh company used italic letters instead of regular. Oh well. They look great, putting them on soon.

Hope you guys are doing well!! Any rudder or steering cable advise GREATLY appreciated!!!!
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-21-2008, 8:15 PM Reply   
WakeMikey,

Thanks for the post. I've been hesitant to show off or post much about my SS because of problems. To give you an idea...its late August and I still don't have one set behind my boat. You can read about it under thread "spark plug failure". Things are looking up tho, supposed to pic up my fixed engine tomorrow.

Hey, did you put amps in your boat? where did you mount them? The only reason I bought so many amps was because the guy was selling it all. I bought the sub in obcon box and the 3 amps all for hundo. Figured I'd use the sub and 2 amps, sell the extra amp.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-26-2008, 6:20 AM Reply   
Jeremy any luck lately? I didn't put an amp in my boat YET but I would like to! What model amp did ya wanna unload? :-) Most people mount theirs under the drivers storage area on the starboard wall. Lots of room in the open bow around the outside edges there is kind of a pocket there on mine you could tuck it into...

Well I got the part the Supra told me to, then tool out my rudder last night! It was pretty quick. But the part was wrong. It should have been an o-ring. We just took it to Napa/Autozone and they found the correct size. Just regular o-rings.

So the second half of all rudder and steering cable maintenance is greasing them up once a year or so. Any auto store had a small stand of grease-gun equipment. A mini grease gun is like $15. There are a few places on your steering cable where grease goes in. There are fittings called zerks that hook to the end of the grease gun. Then you just pump 'em up a couple times.

Our zerks didn't really want to take the grease. They are a very small and goofy fitting. There are two sizes we need small. They are threaded on one end, so we are just going to take the old ones out and put new zerks in. The grease 'em up, replace rudder, and drop her in! Gotta fix that leak...

Also, sometime grab your rudder and see if it clicks or rattles or can be moved back and forth at all. If so, this is a sign of wear on the rudder post. It can only be filed down a bit with a hand file (which we are doing) or replaced with a $250 new rudder from skidim.com. Not sure if it can cause any problems (maybe my leak). Steers fine. A little stiff but that's another story. :-)

Cheers all lets rip it up before summer starts to wind down....oh and it's my birthday today hehe. 27.

Still waiting for a couple reworked Fresh Air Exhaust pieces.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-28-2008, 10:50 AM Reply   
Rudder is back in. Cables and rudder are greased. Putting her in the water in a couple hours. :-) Hopefully get the FAE done this weekend or middle of next week.

Ordered new 6.5" speakers for interior of boat. Alpine M600. Nest is an Ebay deck, then the extra battery and BlueSea add-a-batt relay. Also got a little bonus at work, thinking of splurging for a new power prop hehe!!! Girlfriend hates me for spending all this moneys hahahahahahahahaha@!@@
Old     (weswheels)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-28-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
Simon and I finally sold our '87 Sunsport last night. You'll have a new fellow member on these threads now.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-28-2008, 11:28 PM Reply   
Hey Wes, what did you end up sellin for? Just curious...I am looking to sell my soon to hopefully buy a v drive this winter.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-29-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
Finally that was like two weeks super fast in what is normally a slower selling time of year... Good luck to you guys. Any more pics you'd like to post? :-)

Well I've been looking a lot at props... Supra DD have smaller blades and 3blade is recommeded. Stock is a 13x13, I currently have on a 13x12. Ideal for wake/weight is 13x11 or 13x11.5. Really can't decide if it's enough difference to justify spending it...I'm not sure now!

Surfed last night, engine runs AWESOME, no leaks WOOHOO!! it's ON now!
Old     (weswheels)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-29-2008, 7:55 PM Reply   
Wakemikey,
Good, I'm glad your engine is running fine. That's always a sigh of relief. Yeah, Simon and I put the boat on craigslist in Minneapolis about two or three weeks ago. I've accepted a job in Denver and will be moving there in two weeks. We figured if it sold it sold, if not wait it out until spring then post it again. Bam, we got a few leads and one dude came up from the cities to Detroit Lakes to give it a test run. He fell in love with it and now he just boat the boat with his friend.
We started our price at $10,500 and sold it at $9,300. We didn't lose any money overall throughout the summer. The only lost money was entertainment money put into gasoline.
Any more questions, feel free to ask.
Wes
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-30-2008, 12:53 AM Reply   
WakeMikey, how did you weight it down for surf?
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-30-2008, 8:25 AM Reply   
Glad to see this thread is still alive I've been so bust lately it's ridiculous I haven't ridden in a month my boat hasn't been on the water in over 2 months and I can't ever find anyone that wants to go winchin' so my season has basically sucked this year I finally got the trans installed and working properly my leds installed under the platform and now I'm waiting for my exhaust gaskets to get here so I can put her back on the water there is a lake that is warm year round about 30 minutes away so I'll be hittin' that up this fall with the winch and a ski so I guess it's not over yet :-)
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-01-2008, 7:34 AM Reply   
Dude I will winch! Damn yous reality and geographical distances... Post a thread titled "WINCH W/ ME IN AR!" Sorry to hear it Mont. Your a trans expert now huh?

Wes good luck to you guys hope you find water or at least powder in Denver. Post me if you're ever in Minneap.

Jeremy we have tried all kinds of diff weights and we're still messin around. Usually we use some combo of the following sacs: two 350lb sacs one under rear seat one under rear sundeck, one 680lb sac on port rear floor and another 400lb sac on top of that, and a 400lb sac in front port under the bow.

There are lots of tricky storage places in the SS to hide stuff. Look in the bow and there are unused compartments under the spotters glovebox and tons of room in front of driver I put a 400lb sac on each side for wakeboardin and move the starboard one back for surfin. Lots of room under rear seat too if you are willing to remake the bench a little bit. Real easy.

But if you add that weight up I posted above that is 2200lbs. We have approached that weight w/ passengers but it is not a huge improvement over the surf wake at say 1400lbs.

Most used combo of weight is probably sundeck sac and two stacked sacs on floor. Front sac doesn't help much imo.

The front sacs are great for boardin. Two in back two in front for killer wake. I got a couple nice wake pics I'll try to post. Landed a nice back roll yesterday yaay! Actually first flip behind this boat.

OKay last but not least, engine is still giving me some issues. It ran great during wakeboarding as always and it sounds so much better all the time since we fixed the timing. It is smoother and speed is more constant and easy to control. Big deal!!!

But when we started surfing it did the same old routine although it wasn't SOUNDING quite the same. It stuttered and blewback (pop noise) and some speeds were worse than others. We kept riding for an hour or so and then quit.

I don't think it was running rich anymore but not positive. Maybe try messing with idle / air mix a little more? Not sure...

We opened up the flame arrestor to look at the choke and it was SUPER clean in there. We we not able to check the carb AT ALL without taking completely apart. There were no external float adjustment screws nor float level sight screw holes (the ones you look through).

So I'm thinking the carb probably needs a rebuilt kit but it just seemed so clean! It has probably never been done though...

Bunch of people coming out today it should be 90 degrees hope for the best! But when she's not weighted she runs SO GREAT! New speakers are in today to hehe!
Old     (weswheels)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-01-2008, 4:23 PM Reply   
Wakemikey, love your descriptions. What speakers are you getting? We ran polk marine grades in the boat and on the tower. Sounded amazing running everything at two ohms. If you need any advice on that stuff, post it up and I'll help you out. I spent one solid Saturday early in the summer installing the complete stereo from nothing. It will take you at least a full half day depending on how much stuff you have.

I would fully recommend the carb rebuild if you think that is the problem. We were having a tough time at the beginning of the summer with idle. Spent the eighty bucks, which isn't much, and got it rebuilt. AMAZING difference. Get it done (on a weekday).

We should start another '87 Supra thread, this one is getting long too.

WEs
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-03-2008, 3:11 PM Reply   
I 2nd the "New New 87 Supra thread" and I'm pretty sure I could change the trans in my boat in under 2 hours now that I know how to avoid all the problems that you can run into. I also dissected my old trans there isn't much to em at all I'm gonna try and rebuild it and put it on e-bay
Old     (boutwell_43)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-05-2008, 1:26 PM Reply   
i got a 92 mariah, I got my ballast in my rear locker and under my back seat. I just got 2 sets of liquid audio kicker comp. cans. I need some bass bad. I was wondering if any of you ran your subs under the driver console, and if so what kinda setup did you use. Thanks of any info
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-05-2008, 2:52 PM Reply   
I have an Alpine Type-R under my drivers foot well in a "Hi-Tech" box its kind of a mix between a sealed plastic enclosure and a bass cannon I don't even think they make em anymore but they sound amazing I love it
Old     (da_mose)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-05-2008, 8:24 PM Reply   
I put a 10" Kicker under the dash and ran the wire over to the left side storage where I mounted my amp works great and still got leg room.

Upload
Old     (boutwell_43)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-07-2008, 1:04 PM Reply   
thanks for the info. I love this site!
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-08-2008, 2:27 PM Reply   
I actually moved my heater back about 6" too so I have a $h|t ton of leg room still
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-08-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
Hey again guys. Well MN is so freakin cold we're pretty much done unless it warms up again. I landed a couple back rolls labor day weekend the wake is finally gettin nice! Engine still bitches when I surf for a while though grr...

Ws I got two pair of Alpine M600. They are pretty middle-of-the-line I think. I will add a 2nd battery and get stereo in next year. Yeah I'm pretty much clueless about amplifiers and that kind of install thank I will hit you up for advice for sure!

Chris IMHO in my boat rear weight was great but the boat responds very well to front weight too. I am now weighting about 50/50 front/back. 7500 in back 750 in front.

I am also planning on putting my amp and sub and EQ (when I get them) under drivers seat. I think I can find space for it all even though I have a fat sac under there too (way towards the front into the bow).

My final FAE parts are here so that will go on sometime this week! Awesome...

I talked to OJ Props and for older DD boats that use a 13" diam 3 blade they recommend a new prop that is 13.25 x 10. My current is 13 x 12 and stock is 13x13. I think this is a good prop to get for next year but it is $425! Ouchie... This should bump the rpms up about 500 I estimate.