Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jrbishop4)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-08-2010, 5:04 PM Reply   
I am looking to do away with the ballast timers on my X2. I have found a few post that talk about rewiring with relays. I don't think I trust myself to try and do everything myself. Does anyone know if there is anywhere I can buy a kit or something that is all wired up and ready to just plug in and go.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-08-2010, 5:40 PM Reply   
Why dont you just change the timer settings?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-08-2010, 5:45 PM Reply   
Contact

maxwakemaxfun@gmail.com

He sells new timers. I don't know a lot about them, but I think they fix this issue. Or you can go on his site.

www.maxwake.com
Old     (jrbishop4)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-08-2010, 7:00 PM Reply   
I only have the 6 min. timers and with the fly high sacs it isn't enough. I have a buddy that has the 20 min timers in his xstar with the fly high sacs and they shut off on him too. I don't want to get the 20 min timers and still not be happy. I just want to have a simple on and off.
Old     (rgardjr)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-08-2010, 8:48 PM Reply   
I think the information you want is over in this thread at teamtalk:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...=BALLAST+TIMER
Old     (jrbishop4)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-09-2010, 5:17 AM Reply   
Thanks Rick. skeeler just sent me a link last night that will help out a lot too. After looking more and more into it I think I can do it myself but my only question at this point is what relays to get. I have looked and there is such a big price range on them. I don't want to get the cheapest ones just to have problems with them and I don't want to get the most expensive ones and come to find out they are the same as the cheap relays.
Old     (rgardjr)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-09-2010, 8:41 AM Reply   
I think the ballast pumps are rated at 11.5 amps so these relays should work:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=330-070
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-09-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
If you feel comfortable eliminating the timers by adding the relays go for it. I have sold a bunch of the 20 minute timers and they do work well. They are easy to install and the piece of mind knowing that the system will shut off is nice. Remember to use at least 12 gauge wire. The Jabsco pumps run quite a bit of current when you reverse them.
Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-09-2010, 11:32 AM Reply   
I did this before for a friends boat. There was a wiring diagram floating around that was a good reference as to how to wire the relays. Make sure to get the waterproof relays. I made the mistake of using standard relays from Autozone and they corroded and failed after about a year. Autozone sells the waterproof relays also, but most sales associates at autozone will have no clue what you are talking about when you go ask for a relays - they always want to know what kind of car its going in.

I reccomend getting the relays from the parts express website listed above, and also order the harnesses (they will make the wiring job much easier).
Old     (jasonwm)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-10-2010, 9:22 AM Reply   
Ballast Puppy pumps will actually draw closer to 20A when switching to reverse, so I would recommend a 20A relay, just to be safe.
Old     (jrbishop4)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-10-2010, 7:11 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the help. I will be ordering the relays this week and get started as soon as I get them.