Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (wingnut2u)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-04-2004, 7:25 AM Reply   
It is my understanding that the 2001 Supra SSV's stainless steel Rad a Cage tower, was re-designed after only 1 year due to instability (from what I have been told), especially after adding tower speakers and the like.

I only found this out after adding the NVS tower speakers to my 2001 SSV. My tower now sways from side to side (1"-2") in even the most moderate of chop on the water. It is just a matter of time before the mounting brackets pull away from the fiberglass.

Does anyone have any experience with this or any suggestions on how to stabilize the tower, or will I have to get a new tower all together?
Old     (evil_e)      Join Date: May 2004       08-04-2004, 9:12 AM Reply   
It is my understanding that most towers are supposed to have a little side to side sway, my SSV doesn't really do it, but my buddies boat with a Monster Tower does and I guess it's supposed to be like that.
Old     (milehighrider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-04-2004, 8:31 PM Reply   
i get only a little movement on me 03. i seem to get move movement on from the tower when i am driving on a dirt road. other than that i have had no problems.
have you contacted your local dealer? what is there response? curious to know keep us posted.
Old     (wingnut2u)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-05-2004, 9:59 AM Reply   
I realize there is supposed to be some sway and in reality it is necessary in order to relieve some of the stress on the fiberglass.

My sway is "scary" bad. You always keep one eye on it at all times so you can catch the tower just in case it breaks loose.

It is my understanding that this issue inherent in the 2001 stainless steel rad a cage, which has a diameter 1 5/8 . The rad a cage tower was redesigned for 2002 and was increased to 1 7/8. It just seems obvious that there was a problem with the initial design. You do not redesign a product after only 1 year unless there are serious design flaws.

I live in Dallas and as far as my Supra dealer goes, they suggested that I buy a new boat. That really pissed me off and they just lost a customer!!!

I have since taken my boat to Waterski America, who by the way is a Malibu dealer, and I have recieved nothing but outstanding service. They installed some backing plates that helped stabilize the tower somewhat but I still cannot go over 25mph without being scared to death about the sway and instability

I have spoken to Skiers Choice, they dance around the design issue very well, however, they are checking into the possibility of a replacement tower, (for a cost), not sure how much yet. As of right now, I am still waiting for a reply.

I will keep you posted

Old    matt_w            08-05-2004, 1:15 PM Reply   
Is this the same tower on a 2001 Moomba Kamberra? I am looking at buying one with a tower and I am worried about the same thing. I would not be adding speakers, but it does have a bimini top.

I would think you could take the tower to any decent welder and he could put some braces on it for you for a lot less than the cost of a new tower.

Old    sean123            08-05-2004, 1:32 PM Reply   
Michael Blase,

You are telling me WaterSki Boats told you to buy a new boat? I hardley doubt that! I have bought 3 boats from them and have ALWAYS recieved TOP NOTCH service. The tower on all 3 of my boats has been rock solid. Are you hanging any heavy tower speakers from it or anything?

Sean
Old    sean123            08-05-2004, 1:34 PM Reply   
OOOOOppps sorry.. I see now that you are hanging heavy tower speakers from it. I have seen all types of towers sway when heavily weighted down with after market stuff.

Sean
Old     (wingnut2u)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-06-2004, 6:00 AM Reply   
Sean,

You hit the nail on the head, you bought a boat(s) from WSBD. Although my bought was originally purchased from WSBD, I bought it from an individual in Austin. Therefore, WSBD does not have much interest as they are not designed for service. They only have a two bay service area and I believe one mechanic. Their service manager recently quit, partly due to WSBD lack of commitment to service. Those are his words paraphrased. Their main goal is to sell, sell, sell, service is only something they have to do. As a result, I am not a big moneymaker or a major concern since service is not a large profit center them.

That being said, I do not want to totally dog them either which is why I initially refrained from identifying them by name. I have spoken with quite a few Supra owners and WSBD rep is mixed at best.

They have a good product at a great price point, they meet their sales quota every year, why should they change, which also may explain their laisez fair (sp) attitude.

Just my $.02

*Note: My sway is well beyond typical or exceptable, which has also been confirmed by Bill at Monster Tower who has seen video of the shake, rattle and roll of tower.
Old     (wingnut2u)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-06-2004, 6:02 AM Reply   
Matt,

No, this tower is specific to the stainless steel Rad a Cage tower that was installed on the 2001 Launch models only (from what I understand)
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-10-2004, 9:21 AM Reply   
Michael, welcome to Wakeworld. You will find these discussion boards to be a valuable tool for your boat owning/wakeboarding experience. You will also find that there are many, many people that frequent these discussion boards. The variety of people range from new boat owners to dealers to manufacturers. Usually you can receive an almost instant response to any questions that you may have.

As for the tower issue that you are having, I will just let Skier's Choice take care of that question. They understand that issue much better than I do, and I do not want to give incorrect information. However, I can answer some of your concerns with our dealership, and I would also like to state the other side of the story.

First off, I am sorry that you have experienced trouble with our service department. However, there are a few key issues that set off the problems.

We try to do all of our service here by appointment only. If I remember correctly, 2 of the 3 times you brought your boat in, you did not have an appointment. On the third time, you asked if you could take just 5 minutes of our tech's time on a Saturday to look at the boat again, which we did. There was corrosion on the starter cable, and our tech took the cable off, cleaned it, and got the boat back running for you.

The original problem with the boat was obvious. The boat had a lot of home made wiring inside of it, and the boat also had a distinct water line on the inside of it, making it obvious that the boat had been submerged for some period of time. The water line inside the boat was a 4-6 inches off of the floor of the boat, meaning that the starter was well under water for whatever period of time the boat was submerged. We also warned you that there could be other electrical problems with the boat due to the wiring that was already inside of the boat, and due to the boat being submerged.

We do realize that we have had a few issues with our service department. However, we are currently addressing those issues, and continue to improve with each day that goes by. Yes, you are correct that we do only have two service bays. But that is due to a lack of space rather than us trying to limit the amount of service we do. We are happy to service any inboard that comes along, as long as they call ahead of time to schedule an appointment.

As far as a service manager recently leaving..we have not had any one leave our service department in over two years now. We have recently hired two new employees, one which is full time service, and one which is full time make ready. However, when service gets backed up (like it does in June and July), we bring in extra part time help for the service department. If someone has told you that they were a service manager at our dealership and have recently quit, then I am sorry that you were misinformed. Our service manager has been here for over two years now, and I saw him back there a few minutes ago, so to my knowledge, he is still employed by Waterski Boats Dallas.

Sure, our main goal is to sell boats. That is why the dealership was established. I am sure that you can ask any dealer out there if they would rather sell a new boat or do an oil change, and they will most likely say that they would rather sell a new boat. However, it is our service department's job to service the boats that we sell, and that is what we do. Like I said, we will service any inboard that comes along, but we need to do it by appointment only. We are the largest Skier's Choice Dealer in the World, meaning that we sell 100+ Supras and Moombas a year. That, in it's self, provides a tremendous amount of service for our techs, not to mention the 100+ boats we sold last year and the year before. These customers have to make an appointment and wait in line just like everyone else. And, when they do make an appointment, the turn around time is usually minimal.

So, I in conclusion, I am truly sorry that you had a bad experience with our Service Department. However, if you do choose to bring your boat back to us, please make an appointment. If you do not choose to bring it back to us, continue to use Waterski America. They have an outstanding service department as well.

Thanks!

Marty McFly
Waterski Boats Dallas
Old    aircox            08-10-2004, 4:48 PM Reply   
Well said.......
Old     (wingnut2u)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-13-2004, 9:04 AM Reply   
Marty,

I appreciate the professionalism of your response. By no means did I intend for this thread to a bashing of WSD.

To clarify, my "other" issues regarding the wiring and the starter were handled satisfactorily by your service department.

I would also like to note for those reading this thread, that I purchased my 2001 Supra SSV in May of this year from an individual who purchased this boat from WSD, and that all of the problems being addressed are pre-existing conditions.

Of the 3 times that I have been for service, 2 were by appointment to fix the same problem and some other unrelated problems. The third was at the last second to fix the same problem that was supposedly fixed during the prior two attempts. The third visit was handled at the last second and very well I might add. I also bought the service department a case of beer as a show of my appreciation.

Because of the water issues I was patient and understanding of the fact that it took three attempts to fix the issue. Just so you know, the third time did not solve the problem either. The main problem was the alternator, which was diagnosed and replaced by WSA. Since then the boat has performed flawlessly. That being said, WSD service department itself is not where I have a problem.

My problem is with the “front office” and not with the service department and it all became obvious in the handling of my tower issue. There was a general lack of concern by WSD in trying to remedy this situation. I made several visits to discuss the issue and was met with what I considered to be apathy.

From the first time I brought the boat in for service, it was recommended that I purchase a NEW boat and it was mentioned every time I brought the boat in for service to fix the same problem, that I buy a NEW boat and when I inquired about the tower issue it was recommended that I buy a NEW boat. That is where my issue lies with WSD. I do not want to buy a NEW boat, I want to fix the boat that I just bought! It just really sat wrong with me.

Marty, I have never dealt with you personally, I have only met you briefly once at the boat show and I have heard nothing but positive responses about how you handle your affairs both at the dealership and on the chat threads, as confirmed by your prior post. However, as a whole there are areas where WSD needs to improve, in my opinion ($0.02). If you are interested in my opinions I am more than willing to discuss these matters privately. I see no reason to do it in a forum such as this.

Hopefully if this thread continues, it will continue to focus on the original post and not on its current tangent.

I hope that I have explained myself as clearly and as professionally as you did your prior post.

Michael
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-13-2004, 11:50 AM Reply   
A fine display of Southern Gentlemanship on both sides. Michael, good luck with the tower. i think Skiers Choice should offer you a smoking deal on the improved design. It would suck to have to drill more holes in you hull for a different tower. Perhaps try & sell your old tower to some poor sucker. In CA we don't know about respect or being a gentleman, we just try & screw everybody over.