Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (sikwitit)      Join Date: May 2006       05-22-2006, 4:02 PM Reply   
Here's the deal. Me and my roommate are going to actually buy a boat this summer. We have talked about it for years and are going to finally do it. (clap,clap)

This is the dilemma. We are looking at a 06 Supra Launch 21V and a 06 Moomba LSV. The Supra has everything we want and is about 4 to 5,000 more. The Moomba is actually an Outback (not a Mobius) LSV so almost similar but doesn't have the new thicker looking tower that the new Mobius has. The guy at the dealership is pushing us towards the Moomba (or so it seems). I think that its just because people want the Mobius and not the Outback and he is having a harder time selling it.

So what I'm asking you guy's is do you think it will be hard to sell the Moomba Outback LSV after a few years? And whats the Re-sale like on a Moomba vs. Supra Launch?

Also, there is a 04 Supra Launch for sale w/ 150 hrs. on it. But the warranty on the motor is only 3 years, so its up in about a year. Is that something to be afraid of when buying a used boat or are the motors in the Supra's pretty dependable. Is there extended warranties through Indmar? Thats our only concern.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.
Sorry for so long
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-22-2006, 4:13 PM Reply   
The Supra will have better resale value down the road then the Moomba and both use Indmar engines same as MC, Malibu and yes they are reliable.
Old     (sikwitit)      Join Date: May 2006       05-22-2006, 4:31 PM Reply   
Thanks KG, I was pretty sure that the Supra would have a better resale.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-22-2006, 4:52 PM Reply   
Both are nice-well built boats but the Supra is an extra edge above in the comfort-features department. good luck with the new purchase-either way will get you on the water
Old    thug_hunter            05-22-2006, 4:59 PM Reply   
I find it odd that there's only a 5k difference in the price between an Outback LSV compared to a 21V. The Mobius LSV and 21V is a 5k difference if not more from what I've noticed on my recent boat buying experiences.

On a side note, 5k translates to approximately $50 more per month if you plan to finance. If you can buy a 21V for only $50 more a month than an Outback LSV, jump on it.

Good Luck
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-22-2006, 6:52 PM Reply   
Not too long ago I was trying to decide the same thing. I was either going to get a new Mobius LSV or a used Supra. After talking to everyone I knew about it I went with the used Supra. Not only for the resale value but all around.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-22-2006, 7:39 PM Reply   
go with the supra
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-22-2006, 8:21 PM Reply   
I thought the Outback was a lot cheaper. Aren't the Outbacks around $20K?
Old     (sikwitit)      Join Date: May 2006       05-22-2006, 8:26 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input guys. I'm trying to convince my roommate to go with the Supra 21V.

I also agree with Thug Hunter that the Moomba is priced high and its worth it to go with the Supra.

Still I'm torn between the New or Used Supra.

Damn't!
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-22-2006, 9:36 PM Reply   
Maybe he's trying to sell you the Outback because he has more markup in it? More commission, less value for you.
Old     (sikwitit)      Join Date: May 2006       05-23-2006, 12:35 AM Reply   
I agree with you Craig.

Anybody think its a bad idea to buy a used Supra with 1 more year left on the motor warranty? Will it give me problems?

Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-23-2006, 6:21 AM Reply   
I'm confused.

The Moomba Outback LSV: This boat is not available in '06. They have an Outback V (same as '05 Outback LSV/'05 Mobius LSV) and a Mobius LSV. The new Mobius LSV is a big boat, with a big wake...super nice.

I can assure you there is far less markup in a Moomba as opposed to a Supra and they will be less willing to negotiate on the price of the Moomba.

That being said, I'd take the 21V over either the Outback V or the Mobius LSV. And I did.
Old     (sikwitit)      Join Date: May 2006       05-23-2006, 4:59 PM Reply   
My mistake, It is a Moomba Outback V, not a LSV.

Thanks NAW.

How do you like the 21V?
Old    jayp            05-23-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
Are all of these boats from the same dealership? You may want to step back and look at other boats as well. You may find a better deal out there.

If you can get a good deal on the used Supra then that would be a good way to go. 150 hrs is nothing if the engine was maintained. And the Launch throws a very good wake.

Also, make sure both you and your roommate are in total agreement on the boat purchase. Sharing a boat is like loaning money to friends. It can get messy. I would almost be more concerned about sharing a boat with a good friend than the actual boat purchase.

By the way, I am sharing a Supra now. Shared an X-2 prior. The X-2 partnership didn't work out but the Supra one is good to go.
Old     (sikwitit)      Join Date: May 2006       05-23-2006, 11:19 PM Reply   
Yeah the 06 Supra 21V and Moomba Outback V are from the same dealership. What other boats do you suggest?

The used Supra is a private seller. I'm just nervous about having only 1 more year left on the motor warranty. Its been taken care of, but my luck something will go wrong.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-24-2006, 5:31 AM Reply   
I love my 21V...but, I agree, going in on a boat with a partner would rack my nerves way more than a boat purchase. Be sure to get everything in writing.
Old    jayp            05-24-2006, 1:39 PM Reply   
If you have other dealerships in your area, Mastercraft, Malibu, CorrectCraft, or others. You may want to check them out. Maybe someone has last years model or a used boat in excellent condition they are trying to get off the lot. You may find a screaming deal.
Old    ausbill32            05-24-2006, 11:28 PM Reply   
I did the same comparison awhile back. Just looking at the overall better appearance I went with Supra. Also supra has a much deeper hull. It will take on wakes a lot better with out beating you up.

Supra 21v Launch.. loving mine
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-24-2006, 11:45 PM Reply   
If there is only a 5 k difference between a Supra 21 V and a Outback V JUMP on the Supra.