Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    mojo            03-20-2012, 8:24 AM Reply   
My first time in a boat with the wedge the other day. 3 total passengers, no rider, full ballast. It seemed like the boat could barely plane with the wedge down. Any tips on getting a moderate sized wake? I have different size sacs, but did t know if we should even use the wedge.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-20-2012, 8:33 AM Reply   
Full ballast with wedge driver and 3 should be "moderate" wake already on a newer VLX. Is it not a power wedge? Why not plane without the wedge then set it afterwards?
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-20-2012, 8:34 AM Reply   
Don't start wiht the wedge in position. You want to put it all the way down and then adjust once you get on plane. Far too much drag to get on plane wiht the wedge at full wake.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-20-2012, 8:34 AM Reply   
Is it an power wedge? Was it all the way down? They'll drag a lot if it's not all the way down.

We need more specifics. Motor, altitude, prop, ride speed etc. A lightly loaded boat even with the base motor should have no trouble getting on plane with the wedge.

We had the 6.0 in our LSV with the full factory ballast system (including the front tank) and would run an additional 3k+ on top of it and it would get on plane fine. Our ride speed was +/- 24mph.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       03-20-2012, 8:43 AM Reply   
^^^ when you guys say "all the way down" when you start - do you mean fully deployed as in completely under the boat, then once up to speed, click up towards the swim deck? Or meaning it is closest to the swim deck(out of the water) when pulling the rider up, then clicking it downwards into the water/under the boat once the rider is up?
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-20-2012, 8:45 AM Reply   
You want it all the way down, or completely deployed. It creates very little drag there, then once you get on plane click it up so it moves toward the platform to a point where it creates more drag. The 2012s have this automted through malivue so it does it for you.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       03-20-2012, 8:53 AM Reply   
ok - yes this is how we do it on my buddys vlx. Should be no problem getting on plane then with only stock ballast and 3 people.
Old    mojo            03-20-2012, 8:56 AM Reply   
You have to go between like 2-10 mph to deploy the power wedge. The wake looked a lot more nautiquey with the wedge fully deployed. Just looking for some feedback bc it seems like a stupid amount of drag planing off. Like should we use it all the way deployed, just barely, not at all and just add water? It's not my boat so I'll play with the maliview presets next time info out. Also, can the speed control be adjusted? It surges big time.

Last edited by mojo; 03-20-2012 at 9:05 AM.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-20-2012, 9:04 AM Reply   
No to bring the wedge up you have to be moving forward, you can deploy it while stopped. Put it all the way down, then pull up your rider and get on plane, once you're on plane adjust it to where you want it. It's kind of subjective as to where to put it, it's also based on weight and where people are sitting. The wedge really just adds firmness and lip to the wake. Malibu wakes are rampy, they aren't like the more vertical SAN wakes. you can get lip form the wedge, but it's still going to be more rampy
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-20-2012, 9:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh1669 View Post
You want it all the way down, or completely deployed. It creates very little drag there, then once you get on plane click it up so it moves toward the platform to a point where it creates more drag. The 2012s have this automted through malivue so it does it for you.
Is there an update for malivu? Can I have the auto function updated on my 2010?
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-20-2012, 9:18 AM Reply   
i don't think you can have it added to a 2010, it's not that big of a deal. it's easy to do it manually. Mine is an 07, and I do it all the time
Old    mojo            03-20-2012, 9:30 AM Reply   
Don't they have a USB update or something?
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-20-2012, 9:46 AM Reply   
We do it manually as well, but if I can get it automated, that's just one more thing to help keep my eyes facing forward. Or someone eles's who is pulling me
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       03-20-2012, 9:58 AM Reply   
I'm pretty sure the Auto Wedge has been around since 2009 when the new Maliview was introduced. My buddies 2009 had it. Your 2010 should not be struggling to plane that much with the weight you described, maybe have your boat checked out.

Here is a video describing the Auto Wedge feature from Oct. 2008:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HIUwDkziVc
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-20-2012, 10:55 AM Reply   
I got a LSV with the small 5.7 And I have no problems getting on plane with stock ballast and a good amount of people in the boat. Like others have said, wedge all the way down and once underway I usually click it a couple times up.

There might be something wrong if you cant plane with the setup you described above.
Old    mojo            03-20-2012, 11:00 AM Reply   
ive only been in, rode behind, and driven the vlx once. i'll double check everything next time i'm out and we'll figure everything out. thanks for the help. super excited because the wake seems nice. i'm spoiled and have only rode behind mc's and nautiques(besides the outboards growing up). speed control help, if adjustable besides mph) would be great.