Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-10-2005, 10:06 AM Reply   
Heading to Shasta for a week on two houseboats and wanted to know what you wakeworlders think is the best arm to dock in. It has been about 6 years since we have done a trip there, has it changed much, is there anything we need to avoid?
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-10-2005, 10:39 AM Reply   
go to the pit and squaw. they are close together.
you can launch at jones valley marina.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-10-2005, 11:23 AM Reply   
I just got back from Shasta yesterday after 4 days on a houseboat out of Antlers. I dont know much about the lake and its geography but we had butter until around 11:00am and after 7:00pm perfect weather and riding conditions. Although right when we left the bad weather was on the horizon so good luck with that.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-10-2005, 11:43 AM Reply   
I'm all about centimudy its on the down low know doubt
Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-10-2005, 12:27 PM Reply   
There are many, many good areas to go to this time of year. It would help to know what marina you are launching from. Tommy C is correct in that the Pit River and Squaw Creek are excellent. The only arm I don't like is the McCloud but many on here disagree with my opinion.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-10-2005, 4:39 PM Reply   
Just got back from my trip & the Pit & Squaw were awesome!!! 5 days of perfection. Glassy, breezy, glassy, breezy, glassy, (drinky)in that order every day. Just don't lose your houseboat...
Old    murrayair            09-11-2005, 12:09 AM Reply   
Yeah, I agree the Pit arm is my choice and the McCloud is second in terms of how good the water is. The farther up the Pit you go, the better the water is.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-12-2005, 7:41 AM Reply   
We are launching out of Packers Bay Marina.
Sounds like the Pit and Squaw are the best ones so far.

Stephan- how much was gas when you were there last week?
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-12-2005, 8:24 AM Reply   
Gas at holiday harbor is the best price. $3.49/gal. Gas at lakeview was $4.11/gal. Both are up the McCloud arm.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-12-2005, 9:47 AM Reply   
We packed over 2 dozen cans on the ski boats(4 of them) and only had to fill upa couple times. Don't remember the cost. They say no cans on the houseboats but well we violated that one like crazy.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-12-2005, 10:32 AM Reply   
Thanks guys, I guess we will just have to go out in the ski boats and worry about gas later when we need it.

Stephan- If you want to go back up next week give me a call and I will pick you up at a dock somewhere. Got the boat back last week and it is running like a champ again. That was the problem,stuck valve on number 7 cylinder.
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-14-2005, 10:57 PM Reply   
Pit is probibly best this time of year, and less crowded so u can't beat it. Although my favorite is Mcloud . Gas cheaper less crowded and better camp sites.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-14-2005, 11:01 PM Reply   
pit.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-14-2005, 11:16 PM Reply   
CAR, as always you are too generous!! I would love to go back and ride that place but unfortunately this long summer is coming to a close and I start back at school on Monday, BOOOO!!! Have fun though, the place was awesome!!!
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       09-15-2005, 3:25 PM Reply   
this time of year the pit arm is the best. tourists rarely go to that arm because they are afraid of the trees in the water. Mccloud is too narrw and shallow this time of year. If you go to the pit arm just dont take corners too sharp, just try to stay in the middle
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-15-2005, 3:29 PM Reply   
What is the water level right now and how much does it go down per day? We probably won't move the houseboats once we park except to adjust for water levels. Are the obstacles ie.. trees, rocks etc. marked well or not at all?
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-15-2005, 3:56 PM Reply   
I was there last week and the McCloud arm was awesome. In fact this time of year it really doesn't matter where you go since nobody is there. The water level can be found here:

http://www.shastalake.com/shastalake/index.html

It is still very high for this time of year. Most obstacles are marked. The water ususally drops about a foot or so a day. You will need to adjust your houseboat a couple times. Not a big deal. Most spots drop off pretty fast. Have fun.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-15-2005, 4:15 PM Reply   
actiondcpd- Sounds good and thanks for the info we should have plenty of fun with the lake to ourselves. Two houseboats, three ski boats, 20 people and 50-30 packs of beer, it is going to be on like donkey kong.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-15-2005, 5:14 PM Reply   
1500 beers should hold ya....memorial weekend, 10 of us drank over 20--30 packs plus mixed drinks.

not much wakeboarding that weekend.

(Message edited by madchild1 on September 15, 2005)
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-15-2005, 5:36 PM Reply   
.....yet another typical shasta houseboat adventure. What happens at shasta stays at shasta.....btw I vote McCloud as far up as you can get.
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       09-15-2005, 10:37 PM Reply   
far up mcloud is best u can get pit has way too many trees in it(in the water for people who haven't been there) but is beautiful. but mcloud is a mix of beauty and awesome water
Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-15-2005, 11:18 PM Reply   
You should check out the three coves in the damn area, (Big Backbone, Little Backbone, and Dry Fork). They all rock! Also, this time of year, Waters Gulch in the Sac Arm should be primo. Just my $.02. Yes, there are a lot of trees in the Pit and Squaw Creek but it makes for a strange ambiance.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-16-2005, 9:25 AM Reply   
Freebooze- I will post when I get back to let you know how many of the 1500 make it back to homeplate, last time we went up there we only rode one day, to hungover.

Steve and Charley- I will definitely check out McCloud as far as the houseboat goes cause I don't want this to turn into a working vacation.

Matt- We are planning on some day trips so I will check out down by the dam too, I will have my digital with me for when we trek through the Pit.
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-16-2005, 10:14 AM Reply   
Just make sure you move your houseboat everyday. I mean pull offthe shore and drive back in . That's a good time too charge up the battery too. It doesnt matter where you go in shasta except stay in the middle.