Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-30-2012, 11:47 AM Reply   
I took my 10 year old little brother Isaiah (Big Brothers/Big Sisters) camping this weekend to Bullards Bar. As Isaiah said - "It was an epic weekend" - we met some great people and got in a lot of great riding. The water was very warm but the levels were low (which I guess is typical for this time of year). Much less boat traffic than I expected for a 90 degree weekend. We had to climb a huge hill to get to our campsite which was a good 150 yards from the boat. There are clearly better camping sites to get - lesson learned. Just a few pics to share. I would certainly go back. I tried to meet up with a couple local Wakeworlders but schedules didn't align.

The night pictures didn't really turn out but the moonlight was so bright.
Attached Images

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-30-2012, 12:05 PM Reply   
love that place.,
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-30-2012, 1:22 PM Reply   
looks awesome.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       07-30-2012, 9:23 PM Reply   
Cool place. Cool boat. Great for you on donating your time to the kid.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-30-2012, 9:27 PM Reply   
that's really not that low. It still has quite a ways to drop. Nothing beats waking up at garden point and looking at this while you drink your morning coffee:

Last edited by shawndoggy; 07-30-2012 at 9:29 PM.
Old     (cougarfan83)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-31-2012, 1:15 AM Reply   
That's a beautiful site Phatboy! I'm disappointed my schedule didn't allow me to get up there with you as we'd planned. We've stayed at those same campsites before. Later in the season, so we had to hike as well. It was a bunch of guys, so having to haul all the gear up the hill wasn't that big of a deal, but I wouldn't want to do that with my wife or kids. I still think it is worth the trek to stay at a boat access only site. When we were there we filled tennis balls with gasoline and hit them down that hill. It was awesome!

It really is amazing that more people aren't out on that lake. It's a hidden gem. Glad you had an "epic time"! Props to you for being a good big brother!
Old     (cougarfan83)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-31-2012, 1:23 AM Reply   
Here's a clip of one of our trips to Bullard's. It's a bit corny (meant to be), and we didn't have a lot of footage but...there are some good memories. You can see the fireball action.
http://youtu.be/Q67twurpW3A
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-31-2012, 7:47 AM Reply   
LOVE Bullards! Looks like it was a perfect weekend
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-31-2012, 8:50 AM Reply   
Shawndoggy - it was amazing how calm and peaceful it was. We really thought Garden Point was the best spot. Some of the other campers were saying in the spring the water level is much higher and the climb is not as far. Either way once you are up to the sites it is tough to beat.

Jeff - that video was awesome. You guys take your mancation seriously. I loved it. Too bad we didn't hook up this time but we will try again.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-31-2012, 9:12 AM Reply   
Thanks Jon
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-03-2012, 11:12 PM Reply   
We camped midweek this week (just got home). Killer full moon!

got a decent one of the boat on the water at night, and a sunrise shot from my iphone:

oh yeah, and one of the campsite too!

Old     (cougarfan83)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-04-2012, 12:34 AM Reply   
Shawn...sick pics! Amazing!! I'm jealous.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-04-2012, 8:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfan83 View Post
Shawn...sick pics! Amazing!! I'm jealous.
It was a great trip for sure. One of my favorite places. My teenagers and their friends also make good boat unloading sherpas to carry our stuff up to our site, which makes a big difference.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-04-2012, 7:41 PM Reply   
So what do you guys think about an end of the summer Wakeworld camping weekend to Bullards Bar?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-04-2012, 7:53 PM Reply   
We may be booked for camping through end of summer (or translation I've been boating too much and not working enough). We have had very good luck in October, and I'm sorta kinda thinking of doing a mid october trip. The pics below are both from October (the first 10/10, the second 10/26/11):

(water was still 70ish, believe it or not... and literally three other trucks/trailers in the dark day lot)

as for what garden point looks like in the spring when the water is high -- that's the "island" at the end of garden pt. (this was 6/25/11):

It sucked btw with the water that high because there is ZERO shoreline.... hard to anchor and unload. I'd rather the water be down 20' at least.

Last edited by shawndoggy; 08-04-2012 at 7:58 PM.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       08-06-2012, 11:19 AM Reply   
Phatboy- I was there the same weekend as you. I definitely saw your anniversary Xstar - beautiful boat! The water was so war (83 degrees) and so calm that weekend!
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-06-2012, 11:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fouroheight68 View Post
Phatboy- I was there the same weekend as you. I definitely saw your anniversary Xstar - beautiful boat! The water was so war (83 degrees) and so calm that weekend!
Too bad we didn't hook up. Yeah I couldn't believe how warm the water was - it was almost too warm. I couldn't believe how calm the water was for a Saturday. Since I am usually at Pedro, Tulloch or the Delta I couldn't believe quiet it was.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       08-08-2012, 12:33 PM Reply   
This was our group - we'll be back Sept 7th
Attached Images

Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       08-15-2012, 9:14 PM Reply   
Group of friends from high school have been doing an annual camp trip at garden point for 7 years, always a good time.

from Jordan Claverie on Vimeo.

Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-16-2012, 11:54 AM Reply   
Awesome video