Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-09-2010, 4:49 PM Reply   
"I am guessing that you didn't partake in the CR program, nor do you really care if any of your fellow MC owners were deceived."

Nope, and we got our boat last spring. We are on our fourth MC (still own the first one also) and have been pleased with all four. I feel for the people that got into the CR, but that promotion was handled by a third party company, so that takes nothing away from the building of MC's.

Any issues have always been handled timely by our dealer and/or MC.

Some of the douches on this board hate MC for any lame reason and it's silly that the guys that were not even going to buy a MC to begin with, are always posting along the lines, "I would never consider buying a MC after hearing this".
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-09-2010, 6:51 PM Reply   
So, customer service isn't important to you...?

It may of been handled by a third party, but MC was referring people to them. That is a problem.

Many of the "Douches" you're talking about openly stated that MC was on or at the top of their list of boats to look at, which isn't hating at all. You are not helping MC by calling people "douches."
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-09-2010, 7:55 PM Reply   
Wow, another reason not to buy a MC. Thanks Jeremy.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-09-2010, 9:48 PM Reply   
The only good reason to buy an MC is that they put out the best wakes.

If you were buying them for a voucher, a good deal, a reliable fuel pump, spacious interiors, or any other non-wake related reason, in my eyes- you're doing it wrong. That's the beauty of buying your own boat though- you get to decide what your needs are.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-09-2010, 10:05 PM Reply   
Good thoughts Joe. The problem is that many people feel like their being lied to, cheated or ripped off. And no matter how good the wake is, thats a tough hurdle to get over.

But the loyalists will look it over, no doubt about that. I imagine that of all the boat owners out there, only a small percentage are loyal to their brand (all the clowns with brands tattooed on their ass).
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-10-2010, 1:26 AM Reply   
"...so that takes nothing away from the building of MC's."

I am not sure anyone on her has complained about the quality of a MC. But I am certainly calling into question the integrity of the company.

Go look at that add and then go back an read their statement. Do you not see anything wrong there?

Here is a novel idea, own the mistake. Things always work out better when you just own the mistake and admit you were wrong...then say you are sorry. But MC won't do that, they are too worried that by saying I'm sorry, that will somehow mean they are liable for CR, which they aren't. But man, they certainly helped screw some of their customers over.

When I question the integrity of MC it has nothing to do with the quality of their boats, but rather the character of the company itself.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-10-2010, 5:43 AM Reply   
Why is that I don't see endless threads about customer service issues with the other top companies?
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-10-2010, 7:02 AM Reply   
I think this goes a little beyond a lack of customer service...thats why I think the thread is so long.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-10-2010, 7:49 AM Reply   
Because they are "the leader and pulling farther ahead" oh wait they are "held to a higher standard" lol
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-10-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
"So, customer service isn't important to you...?"
(From my previous post)
"Any issues have always been handled timely by our dealer and/or MC." -We have not had issues with MC customer service since 1992 (our first year of owning one).

"Many of the "Douches" you're talking about openly stated that MC was on or at the top of their list of boats to look at, which isn't hating at all. You are not helping MC by calling people "douches.""

Caleb, you know that I was not calling a person geniunely interested in a MC a douche for taking the boat off their list. The douches I am referring to, run rampant on this board. They hate MC (or Malibu, Nautique, Skier's Choice, etc.) for no other reason than they do not own one. Then when a story like this breaks (or when Malibu closed their plant in California or whatever) they are like, "Well, that means I am going to look elsewhere, yada yada yada...", when you and I know good and well that they weren't considering the boat in the first place. So yes that is being a douche. I don't hate on any other brand simply because we own a MC, because I would consider other brands.

266crown, I am sorry that I affirmed your decision not to buy a MC. But that's the problem, you should make the decision in the huge investment of purchasing a boat, not me. And at the end of the day, as I have no affiliation with MC or any other boat mfg., my life doesn't change one bit if MC sells a million boats this year or 0.

CR screwed up, and yes MC made a mistake involving themselves in this venture, but this was not the first time a major mfg.(not just boating) has been involved with this sort of promotion and I am going to say this is not the last.
Old                02-10-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
"Some of the douches on this board hate MC for any lame reason"

Wake77 is a "student"; he doesn’t care about customer service because it’s not his 80K.

For me, buying a boat was a huge financial commitment and I wanted any information that was available. The information on here is a mix between fact and opinion. It only helps future boat buyers to educate themselves before making a decision.

I came into the boat buying game with an open mind and I didn’t buy a MC.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-10-2010, 10:13 AM Reply   
Look Shooter, I have covered this on previous posts about me being a student. Yes, I am a senior in college. But I am 32 years old, and no it hasn't taken me 14 years to graduate. I joined the Navy after high school, and served four years, for which I received the GI Bill and the Navy College Fund. After my honorable discharge, I received employment from a third party logistics company. I worked hard and moved up the ranks. I was managing a large distribution center in AL in 2005-2006 when I decided that I wanted a change. I enrolled in college, still work in a part time capacity for the same company, and now I am preparing to teach high school. I am married to a successful PT. And most of the money that went into purchasing the boats was mine (except the first, 92 Prostar, which my dad bought).

So before you read someone's profile and make snide remarks and biased judgements, why not just ask how a "student" is able to afford a boat? Otherwise, you just come across as some who thinks he "knows-it-all" a-hole.

And because you didn't buy a MC, what does that make you an expert on MC's customer service? Oh yeah, you know everything about me by reading a few lines on my profile, so you must know everything about every boat mfg. based on your experience in the "boat buying game".

(Message edited by wake77 on February 10, 2010)
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-10-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
My opinion on why MC took the stance they did on cash rewards. Within the past year it has been written in the news that MC could not afford to make payments to its creditors (parts vendors, etc.) When these companies demanded their money, MC informed them that if they had to make payment immediately MC would just file for bankruptcy protection. MC worked a deal with the creditors that a percentage of the money owed would be payed back to the creditors over a period of a few years. In the meantime, the companies had to continue to supply MC with parts to make boats. Creditors had two choices, fight them for money in court, which is lengthy and expensive, or take what money they could get now and hope that MC's promise to turn the company around would hold true. Now if MC has to fight like that just to get parts to make boats, then obviously they don't have the cashflow to stand behind the cash rewards scheme and make it right themselves. So they had two choices: admit it was their fault and say sorry but we don't have the money to make it right. (possibly leading to litigation by admitting guilt) or lie and totally deny any affiliation with cash rewards. The second choice I believe came with the knowledge that they would face severe public backlash, but must have been the best one in their eyes.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-10-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
Not paying vendors? Not a good way for the number one boat builder to conduct business.
Old                02-10-2010, 11:14 AM Reply   
Wake77,

I'm not an expert on MC and never claimed to be; In fact I have nothing against MC's build quality and would not consider myself a "MC hater".

I would consider myself educated when it comes to buying a boat. I have owned a few budget boats and always dreamed of owning an X-Star, SAN or Wake Setter. I looked for well over a year once I finally felt I could afford one. I went to every boat show and dealer in town. I visited every website and message board to make sure I made the right decision.

I walked into the MC dealer one day and was offered the Cash Rewards. The sales guy was very nice and pitched the program as if I would save 25K. All I had to do was add a few extra thousand onto the sales price. My emotions jumped when I thought I could walk out of the showroom with a new X-Star and have it paid off in a few years once my CR came through. My gut and common sense told me that this was too good to be true and appeared to be shady sale practices. I continued my research and decided MC was not the right brand for me.

I was never offered anything like Cash Rewards from any other dealer (Nautique, Malibu, Tige, Supra, Moomba, MB, etc). I did participate in a pyramid scam one time when I was young and they sure look very similar.

In the end, there were things I liked and disliked about every brand. I ended up buying used because I felt the boat was more bang for my buck.

There are many young people on WW flaunting daddy’s new X-Star and you sounded like one of them. I apologize and give you greater respect considering you understand the difficulty and commitment of paying for a boat with your own money.

I respect your opinion. You enjoy your X-Star and have received good service. Why wouldn’t you be happy with MC?

Now respect mine. As a consumer, I would not trust MC after seeing what they will do to sell a boat and how they handled the aftermath. I would be worried how they would treat me if I had a warranty issue. I’m sure it would depend on the dealer, but I'm not willing to spend 80K to find out. Everyone who visits WW should at least be aware of the MC / Cash Rewards failure.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-10-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
Keep in mind that the quote from above was removed from Team Talk very shortly after it was posted. A few folks were smart enough to copy and paste it so it could be ressurected for threads like this. I think that suggests that this is not the stance that MC wants to have in the public eye. Their current stance is avoidance...and shrug it off onto the individual dealers.

As I said above, keep in mind the context. We had been repeatedly blasting MC ON THEIR OWN SITE for months} over the fact it was a ponzi scheme and could not deliver eventually. Then when it was falling apart, we were like sharks to the kill...On MC's own site. So you can understand why the post was a punch back, rather than a humble explanation.

Everyone involved in Cash Rewards showed an amazing lack of judgement.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-10-2010, 11:53 AM Reply   
Keep in mind any guys most if not all warranty repairs must be approved through the factory before the dealer can act. So a good dealer may have their hands tied by certain factories. Also, the info on MC financial came back in the fall from the Knoxville News Sentinel newspaper if case anyone was wondering.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-10-2010, 12:31 PM Reply   
Shooter, I respect your decision and I apologize for coming off a bit brash.

In regards to the CR program, I did not participate, nor do I personally know anyone that participated, so I can not offer any personal experience except that I turned down CR.

In regards to the customer service, nothing but positive experiences through 4 boats (92 ProStar, 98 SportStar, 06 X1, and 07 Xstar) and a span of 18 years (ProStar still in the family and going strong). That being said, when it is time to begin searching for another boat, any mfg will be considered, but we have a good relationship with our MC dealer, so that plays a crucial role.

And as you can see from this topic, on TeamTalk it starts with CR and then gets into finger pointing and nothing gets accomplished rather than MC bashing.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-10-2010, 12:57 PM Reply   
I'm not sure this falls into the category of MC bashing. Yes there is not a love headed towards MC in this thread, but bashing is when someone might complain about this or that going wrong with their boat or having some bad experience with a dealer, but you almost never hear both sides of the story. Here we have a fair amount of facts and responses by a company representative about how a company marketed their products. I found this thread pretty informative and suspect others have too.

Ohh I like riding behind MC products and know that the MC dealer here locally does a lot of good things to promote wakeboarding in our are area for which I am grateful and would happily trade with them.