Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (jmcentire)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-05-2008, 8:30 AM Reply   
I know the 190 isn't a very popular boat here on WW, but it will be a good starter boat for me I think. Anyway it has been in salt water but it has factory closed loop cooling, and the manifolds have been replaced recently. Any areas to check for that the salt water would effect? Any other things would would suggest taking extra time to look at?

I looked at it yesterday and it is in incredible condition for being 23 years old. Must have been covered it's whole life and cleaned really well after each run.

Thanks Everyone
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-05-2008, 10:27 AM Reply   
Here is a short list for starters: shaft, seals, tracking fin inserts, rudder gaskets, exhaust gaskets, swim platform mounts, teak (salt likes to dry out teak faster if it's not maintained periodically), trailer axle bearings/hardware... salt will also promote mold growth, check floors for mushy spots and take a good look at motor mounts and stringers to see if there is any corrosion? with flashlight thoroughly inspect bilge/storage areas for rust spots or barnacles (yes, barnacles), if saltwater has remained in the bilge they will form.. check pylon mounting up front of motor.. those screws come lose all the time and behind motor box i believe you can pull up floor to inspect rudder and shaft areas. anything metal on that boat will have rusted by now.. hopefully you are getting a good deal and you can spend the extra in refurbishing if necessary.. fun boat! Good luck!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-05-2008, 10:44 AM Reply   
closed loop: engine water jacket and manifolds have been protected. if everything else looks good, go for it. trailer will have issues. Check under thermostat housing to get an idea of how rusted the inside of the block is.

'85 is close to where they went all glass, check stringers and floor to be sure.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-05-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
So pretty much check everything.

Don't even bother. This is an unpopular boat for a reason. Keep looking.
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-05-2008, 11:21 AM Reply   
i like mine. its a '79. was well takin care of. with a fat sofa in the back, it actually aint a bad wake for a stater boat. i got mine cause thats all that i could find down here. but i love it.
Old     (number55)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-05-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
they had wood stringers, i would be darned if they weren't rotted.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-05-2008, 11:37 AM Reply   
the 85 mastercraft is hands down the best built tournament boat in that era. Is the wake ever going to be the best, no. I use to have an 84 and recently have been using my father's 83. With 1k of weight, mostly in the back the boat throws a clean and solid wake. It is never going to be all that big. The whole rear seat is removable so you can put a sack in the back. Another cool thing you can do is pull the back seat out and flip it around and face backwards. Put a 750 lb sack across the very back and have seating for a couple others that can watch the rider.

Cooper is wrong. The 85 definitely has fiberglass stringers. The 84 I had had fiberglass stringers and the 83 my dad has right now even has fiberglass.

Great boat and if in good condition buy it. It is also the best looking tournament boat of all time.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-05-2008, 11:42 AM Reply   
This is my dad's 83. The original owner was a professional water skier and had 600 hours by 89 when he passed away. It had 50 hours put on it from 89-2008. Boat started first time and went straight to wakeboarding without even doing a tuneup on it.

Upload
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-05-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
Truth, thats what you do when you buy a boat, check everything. except gaskets. Never heard of gaskets corroding....

If its been taken care of, would make a great starter boat.