Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old    alanp            04-12-2005, 2:06 AM Reply   
you guys have any tips on making interesting videos? do you use the rule of 3rds in wakeboarding? i guess im just looking for suggestions on recording techniques. or things i should stay away from doing. i wont even tackle editing yet.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-12-2005, 6:54 AM Reply   
Try to keep all your shots frontlit (sun at your back) or sidelit (at the side).

Rule of thirds is always good but it's more important to lead the rider with the cam and keep 1/2 to 2/3rds of your frame ahead of his position in the direction he's headed.

Keep the camera recording for at least 15-20 seconds before and after any riders session. In fact just keep the thing recording all the time, you'll be surprised as some of your best footage will come out of those moments and you can never have enough B-roll anyway.

Try to use manual focus at all times, autofocus will ruin your footage especially if you're shooting from a chase boat.

Manual exposure is good too but only if you understand the concepts.

Try to shoot from as many different perspectives and angles as you can. This is tough if you're always shooting from the boat but don't just stay at one focal length all the time.

Use the zoom button Judiciously. Your eyes don't zoom and you don't move your head when viewing a scene anymore then you need too to keep a subject in view. Think of the camera as an extension of your eyes. I still have to consiously tell myself to hold that cam still and keep my finger off that zoom button. Certain Zoom effects can look cool if not overused but nothing will make your project look more amatuerish then a bunch of wild zooming/panning.

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-12-2005, 11:34 AM Reply   
w00t

http://www.dpcfilms.com/HowTo/articles/FilmWakeboarding.asp
Old    alanp            04-12-2005, 3:05 PM Reply   
thanks for the tips. joe ill check that article out too.