Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       11-15-2010, 2:23 PM Reply   
Who has this and is satisfied with it?

I've done some searching and what I've found suggest that it's not quite as "universal" as the name implies and really only works well with few styles of tower (i.e. the 3 main styles of Chinese made universal towers.) Most (I didn't find that many 1st hand reports though) seemed happy with the quality but not with the fit on whatever tower they had and ended up sending it back. I've been in touch with Ken Land at BulletLines and he says that it should fit my Aerial Airborne well.

Before anyone mentions it, I don't like the look or the lack of fold-ability of the official Aerial over the top bimini. I also know that the Krypt is not made of Sunbrella but if it fades my wife is handy with the sewing machine.

Anyway, who has it and what are your feelings about it? I'd rather not drop $800 on a towerbiminis.com bimini if this Krypt one will be good enough for the job @ $500.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       11-15-2010, 4:58 PM Reply   
You get what you pay for. I'd drop the extra money and get a legit one from Tower biminis. If your going to go cheap and your wifes handy with the sewing machine why not just make one?
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       11-15-2010, 5:03 PM Reply   
Because the ss hardware and tubing is almost as expensive as the krypt. That's not even figuring extra tubing in case I screw up. Does anyone know of a cheap (relatively speaking) source for ss or agonized aluminum 7/8" ID tubing?
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       11-15-2010, 5:25 PM Reply   
Ha! My phone auto "corrected" anodized to agonized.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-15-2010, 6:38 PM Reply   
Be aware that anodizing will fade, especially if your in AZ or TX.

Also, I haven't had much luck with any quick release towers. Towers typically either break down nicely or their strong..... rarely ever are they both.

I haven't said much about this in these threads because you seem to be pretty happy with what you have there (Krypt, Aeriel, Monster, DIY, etc.). If you ever get any big, heavy guys who don't like to let go, then it gets ugly quickly. Good luck with it.

Last edited by bill_airjunky; 11-15-2010 at 6:41 PM.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-15-2010, 7:48 PM Reply   
That would be 7/8 OD (outside diameter) not ID (inside diameter) tubing your looking for. I am building my own right now and have good sources for the parts and materials. Only drawback to building one is the only bender on the market that will do .047 wall, 7/8 OD stainless runs a little over 200 bucks. Trust me the cheaper benders won't work. Then you will spend another 350-400 in nice quality fittings, tubing and material to finish it.
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-15-2010, 7:59 PM Reply   
Jeff,

I was in your exact same position. I wanted a tower bimini but didn't want to spend the $800+ most are asking. I went with the Kyrpt Tower Bimini. That being said I'll give you a rundown of what my experience is with this product.

1. Product was shipped in a timely manner; however, the box was either torn before or during the shipping process and missing hardware. Fortunately they were only screws that I was able to find at the local hardware store.
2. The install was relatively easy, the material of the bimini is good quality and I doubt it will fade.
3. I have a Pro Flight Swoop Tower and it fits; however, after several attempts I was unable to get it into a position to where it will fold up without having to take apart the entire bimini. That being said, I don't have to trailer that far and it's pretty easy to just take off the bimini shade itself.
4. The straps that keep the front of the bimini secured are junk. The plastic buckle broke the first time I used the bimini.
5. I like the look and it is functional, Like what was mentioned above you get what you pay for.

If your dead set on getting one that will fold up cleanly without a bunch of work this isn't the bimini for you. If you want one on the cheap that is functional it will work. Feel free to PM me if you want any other info. Good luck...
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       11-15-2010, 8:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_upppp View Post
Only drawback to building one is the only bender on the market that will do .047 wall, 7/8 OD stainless runs a little over 200 bucks.
I've seen mention on other forums of filling the tube with sand (to prevent collapse) and then bending it with a plain ole conduit bender. That said I work on a college campus and know people who work in the machine shop for chemical engineering where they have all kinds of CNC, flow jet, benders, etc. So, I could probably have tubing bent there for free.

If I was going to build one I'd probably start by making it out of cheap steel conduit. Once I get everything perfect I'd bring the SS tubing and my prototype to the shop to duplicate the design.

humboldt9, thanks for the thorough feedback on the Krypt bimini.
Old     (AIrwar209)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-16-2010, 9:09 AM Reply   
Search local. I was interested before the start of the season in the Krypt Bimini, mainly because I could not afford to drop $1000 on a Tower Bimini. I was concerned with how it would fit my tower, as mine is a bit different than the one they show. I contacted an online retailer to see if they could help and after one generic response, he stopped replying. I also contacted Krypt/Bulletlines, same thing. He didn't feel it was necessary to reply to emails either. Shortly after I found a local guy who measured my tower, in person, and built a custom tower mounted Bimini top for the price of the Krypt. No ugly straps, all hard-barred, and it's Sunbrella. If you're in Nor Cal, I can give you his contact info.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-16-2010, 10:06 AM Reply   
I fail to understand why you would be considering this bimini with all the negative feedback you have already read. Here's is how I see it. You can either spend $800 and be glad you did or spend $500 and be dissapointed. Ken isn't able to charge less because its as good as Tower Bimini's product.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       11-16-2010, 10:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
I fail to understand why you would be considering this bimini with all the negative feedback you have already read. Here's is how I see it. You can either spend $800 and be glad you did or spend $500 and be dissapointed. Ken isn't able to charge less because its as good as Tower Bimini's product.
In light of this more specific feedback I'm pretty much not considering it anymore. My searching prior to this thread yielded a bunch of non specific info about fitment issues.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-16-2010, 12:43 PM Reply   
Trust me you wont be bendind .047 7/8 stainless with sand and a conduit bender. Aint gonna happen.
Old     (dizzlestoy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-18-2010, 2:10 PM Reply   
bought mine in mid summer. Its ok. I got it really cheap though. It was a pain in the ass to mount the way I wanted it. I finally decided a spot but it does not collapse without hitting the top of my Trick Towers tower. I have to remove the top for the drive home. I do think I had to deal with it a lot, but I did save a few hundred dollars. Let me know if you decide you still want it. I could possible get it cheaper for you. email me. dizzlestoy@yahoo.com
Old     (gravity)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-18-2010, 5:22 PM Reply   
Got any pics?
Old     (dizzlestoy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-22-2010, 7:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravity View Post
Got any pics?
I sure don't. As soon as I got it put on I went to the lake a few times and next thing you know I'm putting it up for the winter. Would you like me to take some pics of the tower and how its mounted without the top on it?
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-22-2010, 10:50 AM Reply   
if you get one..... you should get it through Onlyinboards.com
Old     (gravity)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-22-2010, 5:27 PM Reply   
that would be cool dizzle thanks