Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (bonty88)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-17-2006, 12:34 PM Reply   
I have some rust issues on my trailer that I need to repair. Can someone who has done some repairs like this tell me the process you went through. What did you use to sand it and what kind of paint should be used?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-17-2006, 3:00 PM Reply   
If you really want to keep the trailer you can get it bead blasted and then powder coated or galvanized.
The bead blasting gets it ready and removes rust and the powder coating is very tough
This is expensive and to do the whole trailer.
You could just grind or sand out the rust and hit it with a metal paint in a spray bomb.
Where is the rust and how extensive?
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-18-2006, 7:40 AM Reply   
If you have a box section trailer like most of us do and you have external rust issues have a good think what the rest is like inside. With no internal anti corrosion paint it will be real bvad in there.

If you havw any holes coming through you should really consider replacing it as you'll be forever chasing rust holes with a mig welder.

I know this from experience. Might be cheaper and certainly easier in the long run to see about getting a second hand trailer.
Old     (bonty88)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-18-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
Thanks for the replies. I don't think it is box section. I need to take another look. The fenders have the worst rust, but those I plan on replacing. Most of the rust is is around the joints and seems to be only on the surface. Not very deep. It is a DHM trailer if that helps.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-18-2006, 12:54 PM Reply   
I had a trailer not too long ago that I had sandblasted, a little welding done, and then repainted. I also replaced the leaf springs and installed all new lights and wiring.

After all was said and done I might have been better off just buying a new trailer.

Sand/bead blasting is the only way to get the trailer prepped for paint. That isn't too expensive, I think I paid around $300 to have it sandblasted.

Painting can be a real bitch. If you have your own sprayer and a place you can paint (the overspray is a major problem) then you might be okay on price. I paid ~$1500 to have the trailer professionally painted. I think there was a LOT more paint lost in overspray than was actually applied to the trailer. If you can tip the trailer up on its side it would help to paint the underside.

Rod