Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old    bobbymucic            06-18-2003, 6:59 AM Reply   
What do you all think? Tower speakers for $80 pair.

I just got these clamps for ~20 bucks each. They come with a bolt that makes mounting through the speaker box easy. I got them through premier lighting.

http://www.premier-lighting.com/sales/clamps.htm

I bought some 8 0hm, 5 1/4 outdoor speakers at costco, for $40 a set. I will be using 4 of them on my tower, with them attached to a 2 channel amp crossed over at 100hz.

I am not sure if they will be loud enough to hear riding...I'll post more later. If people want assembly pics, maybe I can post them later.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-18-2003, 8:02 AM Reply   
Looks like a great DIY set of speakers. Which clamp is that? It was not clear when I went to the site.

Please write something up and email it to me and I'll add it to www.diyTower.com.
Old    chris_hargis            06-18-2003, 8:23 AM Reply   
That looks like the Cheeseboro clamp to me. Wouldn't work on my 2.5" rollcage though.
Old    bobbymucic            06-18-2003, 8:45 AM Reply   
Chris, you are right. It is a Cheeseboro clamp. It's max OD is 2".

On that site, it is #310-957 1/2 Cheeseboro with bolt.

It took me less than 5 minutes to attach to the speaker. I guess it all depends how easily you can get to the inside of the box. I had to pull the grill out, then take out a few screws. Some drilling, some loc-tite, then re-assembly.

On my roll cage, I had 4 4" outdoor speakers, with crossovers. It filled the boat nicely, but you couldn't hear them too good while riding. These should be better.

I'll post more later.

Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-18-2003, 11:45 AM Reply   
These clamps are the BOMB!!!
Check this out...
http://www.wakescene.com/Features-Reviews/2003%20Tower%20Speaker%20System%20The%20beginning. htm

I got 4 of them for this new box about 1 month ago, and the total was about $15.00 each. total of about $75.00 w/shipping. I bought them thru http://www.centerstagelighting.com/ The guy was real helpful, and real interested in what I was doing.
I have more pics of the brackets is anyone is interested!
KG
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-18-2003, 6:52 PM Reply   
These are rock solid. I had two Niles OS 20's mounted with these on my old X-9.

The only issues:

1. The rope tends to hang up on the bolt.
2. The steel isn't stainless

brackets

If you don't need quick release, check these out:

http://www.chassisshop.com/npbm.html
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-19-2003, 12:39 AM Reply   
B T do you think one would be enough for the os 20's, ive got the west marine xxl's and screwing and uncrewing the side screws is getting old and have trashed a few since we pull the speakers down every time in
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-20-2003, 1:21 PM Reply   
One bracket would work just fine with the OS 20's if you drilled and mounted the clamp through the side of the enclosure itself. The lighting clamps are rated for a LOT of weight. With differnt fittings they are used to assemble scaffolding.

The problem is the "U" brackets that come with the OS 20's are kind of thin. They will not handle the stress of being suspended from the center. The OS 20's are pretty heavy...
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-22-2003, 9:40 PM Reply   
yea i know, the west marine speakers are the same, i was hoping to get away from the "u" clamps and just use the clamps you are showing