Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old    tpalmeri            06-26-2003, 9:53 AM Reply   
I have a quick question. My uncle is headed out of town and asked if I would like his SAN for about a week or so while he and the family are on vaction. My question is I drive a 96 Ford Explorer sport V6. Am I going to blow up my ride from trying to tow this wonderful machine? Thanks for the input

Tony
Old    whitechocolate            06-26-2003, 9:57 AM Reply   
IMO No you will be fine Just dont use the Over Drive and take it easy you will be ok
Old    tpalmeri            06-26-2003, 10:01 AM Reply   
Now I did forget to mention that in order to bring the vehicle from his house to mine, it is about a three hour trip. Grant, does this change your opinion?
Old    damnation            06-26-2003, 10:03 AM Reply   
Personally, I think it depends on how far you are towing and the temperature. I wouldn't tow something like that without a transmission cooler, but if it isn't very far to the ramp you should be fine. Also, like Grant said, no Overdrive.

Besides, getting a boat like that to use for a week, you have to make it happen somehow!
Old    tommyadrian5            06-26-2003, 10:11 AM Reply   
DO NOT tow that thing for three hours without at least getting a transmission cooler, you will fry your transmission towing it that far without one. They are easy to install and a shop usuallly charges around 100-150 for the cooler and installation.
Old    tpalmeri            06-26-2003, 10:43 AM Reply   
how much does a SAN w/ trailer weigh aprox?

THANK YOU again to all that have helped me!!! It means a lot when you can ask questions to people you dont even know, and they treat you like a friend.
Old    gotpwr            06-26-2003, 11:27 AM Reply   
A SAN should be right around 5,000 lbs. If your Explorer has a 3.73 ratio axle, your tow rating is pretty close to 5,000lbs. I don't think it will be a problem, just keep it out of overdrive.
Old     (matt_h)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-26-2003, 11:34 AM Reply   
I tow with a 4x4 ranger 4.0L with a stick and 4.1 axle, i've hade no problems so far.

Is it a tandum axle? those make it mutch easer.
Old    tpalmeri            06-26-2003, 11:42 AM Reply   
yes it is a tandum axle trailer. If I may change gears for a second(no pun intended, I have been in the market for a boat of my own. I have always had a SAN in my mind to purchase, but how does a Calabria Pro-V compare? Seems to have a larger stock balast? Thank you again
Old     (matt_h)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-26-2003, 1:10 PM Reply   
That may be, but a SAN's wake is way more sensitive to weight. It really dose not take that much weight to get a big wake. When we had about 7 people in the boat we just left the ballast empty. I was tired of over rotating backrolls.