Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (pmilan)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-14-2007, 6:27 PM Reply   
has anyone used or heard polks mmc650 6.5" coax. I think they come in some of the nautiques...
Old     (boattunez)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-15-2007, 3:08 PM Reply   
Yep - just bought 8 for my 23' Larson - highly recommended by posters on other forums - waterproof/marine certified momos are supposed to be awesome - installing mine right now - best of luck w/ yours !
Old     (pmilan)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-15-2007, 6:58 PM Reply   
Randy, let me know how they sound and what amp/amps are you using....Thanks....
Old     (jbwaken)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-16-2007, 9:14 AM Reply   
Thats what I have too and they scream...
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-16-2007, 9:21 AM Reply   
Would they be good to use as a replacement for my stock speakers down in the boat?

Are you guys using them up in your towers also?
Old     (jbwaken)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-16-2007, 9:31 AM Reply   
In my boat I have them in the boat and 6-6x9's on the tower. We do Malubu Illusion towers with 10 on the top and 6 in the boat. Let me see if I have any pics....
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-16-2007, 11:16 AM Reply   
My boat has 4 speakers in it now, I am looking to upgrade them and change out the head unit and maybe put in an amp.

I have been looking at the new Clarion M475 marine cd/mp3 player, is that a good one?

I like the features of it alot.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-16-2007, 5:10 PM Reply   
i've got two in my boat and two on my tower in audioformz cans. they sound great. i'm driving them along with (2) polk db1000 tweets with a jl e6400 amp and they sound great. they've held up nicely.

(Message edited by brucemac on February 16, 2007)
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-16-2007, 5:52 PM Reply   
The Polk MMC's are pretty nice, I have them in my boat, they came with it. I prefer the Polk db series, they cost less and sound better in my opinion.
Old     (pmilan)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-16-2007, 9:56 PM Reply   
Mikeski, what do you like better about the db series? I listened to both and the MMC's sounded alot fuller... Also i'm concerned about power handling, cause i'm using ARC's 4200SE's. 1 on 4pr. of those and 1 on 2 12's & 2 PRO80x's..
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-17-2007, 10:48 AM Reply   
Paul,

If you are running ARC SE amps you are at a level above most of us asking questions here. I like the db's better because they do not have the outboard crossover so they are easier to mount, plus the grills are more suttle.

One thing to keep in mind here. You really want to match your boat speakers to the Pro-80's. As you probably know the Pro 80's are very bright. You should get an equally bright boat speaker so you don't have to re-adjust the EQ every time you fade from the boat to the tower. The MMC's make a bit more bass but I have mine crossed over at 200hz anyway so I can push the heck out of their mid-high range without smoking them. Another option could be the Infinity Kappa's, they scream on the high end, but the grills are ugly.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-17-2007, 5:37 PM Reply   
suttle... oops, how about subtle.
Old     (pmilan)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-17-2007, 10:08 PM Reply   
We are hearing the same thing..I agree the mmc's have better mid bass and are a bit softer on the highs( probably because of the silk tweeter )but that is what i like about them...As for the pro 80's i'm going to have a specific volume control on them...Basically i'm thinking of it as 2 systems...1 for the rider and 1 for the boat... that way the pro 80's aren't killing us when we're just hanging out....does it sound like i'm on the right track in order to achieve that???
Old     (boattunez)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-19-2007, 6:23 AM Reply   
Paul - am mounting 4 mmc's in main seating area/open cockpit, 2 in open bow, and 2 aft for swim platform - no tower yet. Will power 4 in cabin and a sub (mm2104 10") by JL Audio e6450m 6ch marine amp and just got a deal on a Clarion APX480m to power the 2 bow and 2 aft pairs. Lots better amps out there but wanted marine-rated gear and originally was going to use 6ch amp to power all. And not looking for killer/thumper system - just solid tunes on the water. Chose mmc's for smoother silk tweeters vs db's - and I like mmc grilles better w/ my boat. Plan to use PAC LC-1's for remote level controls to control aft speaker levels and maybe a remote turn-off for amp as well. LOTSA planning going on in my winter stereo upgrade! Good luck w/ your upgrade too!

(Message edited by boattunez on February 19, 2007)
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-19-2007, 11:38 AM Reply   
Randy,

I completely agree with your amp and speaker pairing. Make sure you run everything in high-pass if you have a subwoofer.
Old     (boattunez)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-21-2007, 5:55 AM Reply   
Thanks Mike - sure will!

Also after further review I think I'll now add a Clarion EQS746 to bump RCA levels up to 7V from head unit's 2V (CMD4A) and then run to amp 2 and use EQS fader to fade between bow and aft platform (instead of LC-1).

... so then may have to get a 2nd EQS to bump RCA V to amp 1 too - or add a line driver, but for cost might as well get the 2nd EQS! Still want to control vol via remote thru head unit, but can then also control via EQS's at helm.

... and since I will want to turn off 2nd amp when not in use am now wondering about running bow spkrs off head unit - only 19W RMS/ch, but am wondering how much power the 2 bow speakers will really need!?

So am still strategizing (overthinking!?) how best to wire/control speakers!!! ... and just when I think I have it worked out, I think of another option! Argghhhhh!!!

Paul, sorry to hijack your thread w/ speaker contol angst but maybe you're thinking about some of this too?!
Old     (pmilan)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-21-2007, 9:01 PM Reply   
Randy,
no sweat...I'm still considering some options myself and one of them is to EQ or not to EQ... so y'all go ahead and i'll keep reading and learning...