Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (aidansdad)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-27-2009, 5:19 AM Reply   
Just graduated from nursing school and the wife/fam hooked me up with a Canon Rebel XS w/ 18-55mm IS lens, 75-300mm lens, and other accessories. Can't wait to get out on the boat and get some shots. Any tips for a first timer?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-27-2009, 5:41 AM Reply   
Learn your camera and it's settings. Take lots of shots & don't get to frustrated they will get better. For WB shots from the boat try setting the camera on Tv (Shutter Priority) and bump the shutter speed up to stop the action. That's the advice I got and it was a good starting point for me. Have fun & good luck.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-27-2009, 6:14 AM Reply   
Another trick worth trying is to get a stable seat in the boat...autofocus on the rider as they are just cruising behind the boat, and then switch the focus to 'Manual'...and don't touch it! Because the line is a fixed length, as long as you don't move, the rider will stay in focus. This will help avoid some of those slightly blurry shots as the rider goes flying across the wake. Just don't forget to repeat the process with each new rider...in fact, I do it more often than that because invariably I end up needing to move around the boat.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-27-2009, 6:31 AM Reply   
Loren i've used that also, works pretty good. I try and auto focus on the rider sitting still in the water with a tight rope, switch to manual and use a strip of blue painters tape on the focus ring so it wont move.
Old    wakejjboard12            05-27-2009, 6:42 AM Reply   
I'm not a great photographer but with that 75-300 don't get frustrated. It is SUPER slow. You'll get used to it eventually.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-27-2009, 6:59 AM Reply   
Why aren't you guys using AIServo?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-27-2009, 8:02 AM Reply   
Rich I am now, I used that when I was first starting out and did'nt know much, come to think of it I still don't

I will try and get some shots of Chris this weekend at the PWT in Texas. I hope they don't draw the same heat, that would suck.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-27-2009, 11:23 AM Reply   
Thanks Randy I'd love to see them!

Chris's wake tricks pass seemed solid in watching him practice this week, we'll see how he does on the obstacles! It's his first PWT event and we both know this is a long painful process, I'm just glad to see him going, he had to try it at some point and starting the process is more important then the results in my mind.

If he ends up "losing" to someone I hope it's Alex because I like to root for the guys I know!