Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-06-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
I’m working on a deal for a 2008 VLX, and I am trying to ensure I have respectable price worked out with the dealer. If anyone could give a ballpark estimate what I should be paying for this boat, I would greatly appreciate it. I have the options below.

bow tank
2 pair pop up cleats
2 board racks
Monsoon engine
CD Stereo 4 speakers
2 remotes
docking lights
cover
depth module
bimini
dual battery and switch
Power wedge
tandem trailer
Old     (kel_dub)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-06-2008, 1:42 PM Reply   
Your price can vary significantly depending on how the dealer prices your boat. Not much help but it is the truth.
Old     (setter_1)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-06-2008, 1:58 PM Reply   
Brian,
Kellen hit it right on, but also remember you're not just buying a boat, but establishing a relationship with a dealership. The quality of the dealership's service can add greatly to the enjoyment of your boat. Meaning a good dealer will get you in and out quickly with your repairs and service, and you will have more time on the water.
I see you live in the Dallas area, Waterski America has a great reputation, and definitely know how to take care of their customers. For those about to pounce, I don't work there, I'm just a loyal Malibu customer!!
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-06-2008, 2:37 PM Reply   
they are very reputable. kellen is right too.

Kellen... show me your I.D.
Old     (flatcher)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-06-2008, 4:57 PM Reply   
I've optioned one the same and $64995 was my quoted price. What price are you getting?
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-06-2008, 5:47 PM Reply   
I second that Scott
you cannot go wrong with Waterski America
I have bought two boats from them
I'd do it again if I ever want a bigger boat
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-06-2008, 5:50 PM Reply   
Brian you shouldn't be over 60K for that boat, especially this time of year. If so keep working on them.
Old     (kingpin)      Join Date: May 2003       02-06-2008, 6:53 PM Reply   
I am currently looking at one. Todd at WSA is pricing me a 08 VLX right now. I have talked to a few other guys that have ordered 08 VLX's. From what I have heard a plain one is going for 60-62, and a loaded out VLX on a extreme trailer that is pimped out is going for 65-66. I cant wait to hear back from todd so I can get my deal done. Hope this helps.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-06-2008, 7:11 PM Reply   
boat prices are different based on region. You will pay less for a boat in California because it is closer to the Main HQ (less freight) and there is a higher concentration of dealers (more competition drives price down). A boat bought in Texas will cost much more. Not sure if this is true or not but I think Texas boats are now being manufactured in Tennessee.

Based on what you are saying, if you travel many miles to save a few bucks, it will never outweigh the costs of traveling to and from that selling dealership when you have problems. You will have HIGH priority at your selling dealership. If you take it elsewhere, they will most definitely take care of you, but they will not push back their own customer's boats to work on yours.
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-06-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
Thanks for your response guys. I totally agree on the need for having a great relationship with your dealer, which is one of the reasons I am looking to buy my second Malibu from the same dealer. This will be my first new boat, and I was just looking to get some input on the price as this is a major purchase, and would hate to later realize I paid way too much. I believe that I have worked a good deal, but was just looking for reassurance.

With that being said, check out the boat I have picked out.

application/mswordUpload
~$Doc14.rtf (0.2 k)
Old     (flatcher)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-06-2008, 7:26 PM Reply   
Brian, Can't read your file. What deal are you getting?
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-06-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
one thing to keep in mind when deciding if your paying too much is that boats now have to have catalatic converters. i think when 08 hit, engine mfg's couldn't make any more motors without them. according to the training teacher at the Merc. training schools its going to up the prices of boat about a grand. when buying a boat i would pay an extra 2 grand or so to buy from the better dealer. i could justify spending the extra money if knowing that when i took my boat in i would be getting everything done right and be taken care of properly.
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-06-2008, 7:31 PM Reply   
Lets try the attachement again. I was trying to get it off the Malibu web site.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-06-2008, 8:15 PM Reply   
A malibu boat should have the same MSRP no matter where you buy one. Shipping shouldn't change the cost to the consumer, that is why the manufacturer charges the same freight if a boat goes 2 miles or 500miles. This boat industry is similar to how the auto industry was in the 80's. For example, most consumers had no idea what invoice or holdback was on a car back in the 80's. However, the internet is changing that.

I would agree with nu bu that boat should be had for under 60k. A fair deal would be MSRP and 23-25% off. If you add more options then take a bigger percentage.

Imo a good dealer will do what it can to negate a 2K difference and if you do buy a boat elsewhere should service you the same as if you bought your boat there. Maybe with good service the consumer won't question the 2K the next time he/she buys a boat.

(Message edited by johnsvt on February 06, 2008)
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-06-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
hey guys
are you guys meeting with the Waterski America guys out at the boat show?
Todd is a great guy....he helped me sell my xti

but Frank is the man

see if he will throw in some extra stuff

extended bimini
docking bumpers
lower pitched prop instead of the stock prop
I personally went with the Dorsey trailer
much better IMO than the extreme
also
get to know Whitney in the pro shop....she will get orders to you fast
and
she's very easy on the eyes! :-)

good luck!
and enjoy the process
........picking options, colors...etc....
no stress!
oh.....and we love our hammerhead!
Old     (kingpin)      Join Date: May 2003       02-06-2008, 9:46 PM Reply   
cliff,

Do you really think the hammerhead is worth the extra $$$$?
Old     (mikel)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-06-2008, 9:50 PM Reply   
Ewing...MSRP's won't be the same everywhere on a Malibu (or any brand)as each dealer will set up their boats with "standard" options that another dealer may not do. For example, many dealers use Extreme trailers which cost more than DHM or Trailrite. In addition, MSRP on Malibu's site (referring to 2007 when they were up) does not include a trailer, dealer prep or freight. Dealer prep and freight vary in amount by the dealer.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-06-2008, 9:51 PM Reply   
"boat prices are different based on region."

True!

"You will pay less for a boat in California because it is closer to the Main HQ (less freight) and there is a higher concentration of dealers (more competition drives price down)."

False! The dealers rape you in California....because they can.
Old     (kel_dub)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-06-2008, 11:22 PM Reply   
Not false. This is becoming more and more common as dealers "fight" for sales. Believe me.
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-07-2008, 5:59 AM Reply   
Sorry if this is slightly off topic but I have to chime in.

Am I the only guy who feels that boat prices are getting way out of hand? I mean mid 60's for a VLX and in the 90's for an XStar is just ridiculous. I bought a new '05 VLX for about 50K w/o a trailer in late 2004 and thought that was a ton of money. It is unlikely that I will ever buy another new wake boat with the way the prices are escalating on an annual basis. I'll just keep my '05 for the remainder of my wake career. Its the same exact wake as a new one anyway.

I'm amazed that the dealers continue to sell high end wake boats at the rate that they are.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-07-2008, 6:36 AM Reply   
It is crazy. I was looking at the Dallas Boat show and the 2008 WSLSV equipped similarly (taking into account stereo, power wedge, etc.) was about $15K more that I spent in 2005! In just 3 calendar years I can't believe the prices have gone up that much.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-07-2008, 7:10 AM Reply   
I agree with the ridiculous prices....

and yes, I love the hammerhead with the 1235 prop
would pull a house!

the only downside to me is.....the 2007 Hammerhead didn't come with the cat exhaust

mine puts out a ton at surf weights
and, the dealer can't change mine over....involves an entire new harness and more

oh well.....
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-07-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
MSRPs are the same everywhere. There is a MSRP for the base price of the boat, and an MSRP for each option. Add them up, you get total MSRP. Some dealers will show you this list, others won't. I think Ewing is smoking something, most dealers won't go anywhere near that kind of discount. If you're getting 15% you're doing pretty good, anything more is insane.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-07-2008, 9:23 AM Reply   
sp0tts I am onto you. 15% is a good deal also.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-07-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
hahahaha 23%-25% off. if someone walked in and said that to my salesmen we'd laugh. 15% is more realist. if you drop it down to 25% your getting down to somewhere around cost. unless the dealer is in some trouble and needs to get that boat off of his florring bill no one will sell a boat for that far below msrp.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-07-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   
---"You will pay less for a boat in California because it is closer to the Main HQ (less freight) and there is a higher concentration of dealers (more competition drives price down)."

False! The dealers rape you in California....because they can.---

WRONG!!!!!

What would I know? I just sold them for 4 years. I talk to other dealers out of the area and I hear what they get for their boats.

MSRP is the same all over. What you actually buy the boat for can definitely vary based on location.

(Message edited by cavlxenvy on February 07, 2008)
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-07-2008, 10:13 AM Reply   
The actual discount you get on the boat from the sales people will vary by location. I apologize for the confusion on how I worded it.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-07-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
Have the HH with the Acme 1235 prop (per David's suggestion). Love it.

The big change in boat pricing is based on petroleum products. All you guys are wondering how prices can go up so much in three years. Ask yourself this... how much has gas gone up in three years? The majority of the products in these boats are petroleum based.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-07-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
Guys sp0tts was right I was smoking something...it came from his backyard though.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-07-2008, 11:21 AM Reply   
I am from Pottsvile
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-07-2008, 11:40 AM Reply   
I don't care where in the country you are, if you're paying over 60k for that boat with those options move on, or sharpen your negotiation tactics. It has more to do with supply and demand than anything else. But at least they're made here in the good ole USA baby!!!!

(Message edited by 05mobiuslsv on February 07, 2008)
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-07-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
After tax?? That boat will be over 60k easy.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-07-2008, 12:10 PM Reply   
nu bu, 60k on that boat is 20% and that doesn't include dealer freight or prep. There are a lot of dealers that won't do that price. I would bet in some areas they would laugh at you, it does depend on region.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-07-2008, 12:11 PM Reply   
I'm also not including tax which is different in every state.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-07-2008, 12:18 PM Reply   
it will cost over 60k just about anywhere I would imagine.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-07-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
I'm including tax so I figure it would be over $60k.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-07-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
No I wasn't including sales tax or licensing, you might not have been able to do it spotts but doesn't mean it can't be done.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-07-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
Pottsville the only place that has three handles on their kitchen sinks - hot, cold, yuengling.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-07-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying there are dealers that won't.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-07-2008, 12:37 PM Reply   
I agree there are alot of dealers that probably wouldn't. I was just referring the the stripped down boat he was talking about ordering.
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-10-2008, 8:50 AM Reply   
Placing the order on my '08 VLX tomorrow. Already have all the options and price figured out just have to take the money to place the order.

My options include:

Power Wedge
Front Ballast
4 M60X Wet Sounds Tower Speakers
Depth Finder
Hot Water Shower
Two Heater Vents
8 Speaker System + 12" Sub
3 Amps
2 Batteries+Switch
Rear Remote
Transom Remote
Sundeck Walk Over Rubber
Fiber Glass Swim Deck
340 Engine
Under Water Swim Deck Light 'cause my wife thought the picture looked cool.
Water Cooled Ring Seal
Dorsey Trailer With Polished Alum Wheels Dual Axle With Swing Tounge
Bimini Top W/O Extension. (Less hassle fits in the boot better)
Two Board Racks. Hinge Type.
4 Pop up cleats
The flip over bow light.
LED Docking Lights.

Probably forgetting something in those options.

My price.
Less than the one the original posters getting.
Didn't have to haggle. That's the quote I was given. Have a great dealer though. Been talking to him the past three years just waiting for the day I'd be able to afford one. New job= no more Bayliner for me.

Edit: Guess that was the other poster that listed his quote not the original poster.

(Message edited by LonghornFan on February 10, 2008)
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-10-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
Great guys, either Todd or Frank, I am on my 3rd boat from WSA, and due for a new next year. There is a reason they win all the awards, great service after the sale.

I am not sure why you want a extreme trailer when Dorsey is avalaible and a better trailer. Dorsey can and will pimp that trailer if you want. Have loaded the VLX up, just don't see the need for the HH, then again my surfing is done on a 247.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-10-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
As to the costs of wakeboats, I agree with the price increases, they are getting up there to say the least.

However, I do not see a slowdown in the market here is Dallas. It seems to me the increasing of price hits the lower end of the market especially in Dallas, where there does not seem to be a shortage of money.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-10-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
the prices keep increasing because they can sell every boat that they make at that price. when they up the price to the dealers the dealers must up the price too. if they were the ones taking the hit in the price increase there wouldn't be any dealers.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-11-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   
Auto,

What makes the Dorsey a better trailer? We don't have Dorsey out west, just curious what separates Dorsey from Extreme?