Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (cookie)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-20-2007, 4:24 AM Reply   
How does the new Cartel compares to the Natural? The Natural is feather light, is the Cartel also so light? Boardspeed, pop, tracking, landings...
Old     (team_o)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-20-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
Andreas, Although I haven't weighed the boards, the Cartel has got to be lighter than the Natural due to it's super thin profile. It's faster than the Natural - for me the pop is harder (although some would disagree with that statement - your riding style may make one or the other pop better for you). Without fins it's looser than the Natural without fins. With fins it's a bit tighter. It's got a good center beam & carries enough speed on landings to make them super soft.
One of the cool things about the board is that it is effortless to ride & generate speed to the wake. You just roll into the wake, stand through the trough and BOOM.

Andy do you have anything to add?

(Message edited by team_o on January 20, 2007)
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-20-2007, 5:13 PM Reply   
Oh course I do!

This thing has explosive pop! Chris' explanation of the BOOM is so true!!! I have noticed that on a lot of moves that require you to stand tall at the wake are very easy on this board i.e. bs 5's, batwing to blind. This board allows you to stand tall and still accelerate at the wake quickly. On a batwing for example you load the hell out of you front foot on the way into the wake, which usually slows the board down considerably, this board does not have these issues. It is definitely looser than the natural without fins on (I have not ridden it with out fins). It jibs really well too.

FAST and EXPLOSIVE are how I would describe the ride! Get one, you'll love it!
Old     (cookie)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-21-2007, 5:38 AM Reply   
Sounds amazing, rode the Natural 139 last year, loved it. I also rode the vice 141, and liked the looser feel of that board. So I guess the Cartell is sort of a mix of those two boards when it comes to the "feel" of the board? Can't wait to get on the Cartel 141.
What about bindings? How are the 07 OB's compared to the 06? How does the new lace-locks on the Xenons work? Do you have a close-up pic of this system? How are the new innerliners? They sure look comfy...!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-21-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
The new line of 07 bindings are hands down the best bindings O'brien has ever made. The Dry entry innerliners are awesome. I am currently on the Analogs and I dont even has to bend over to put my feet ie the bindings. They lace up rock solid!
Old     (kaesen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-21-2007, 11:14 AM Reply   
havent got the chance yet to ride the cartell but i want to really bad! it looks sooo much fun and it seems like it would be fast but smooth and i love how it will be a little looser than the natural.... i deffenetly cant wait to try one out... the only thing is i dont know what size i should try when ever i get the chance to.
as far ass the bindings go.... the new xenons are by far the best boot i have put around my feet in my life.(if you like a sort of looser feel)
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-21-2007, 11:29 AM Reply   
The O'Brien 07 Bindings are sick. I ride the Xenons and the the snowboard boot style liner is so soft and easy to get into. No foot cramps ever and the kidney pads provide great heal hold down. The new lace locks work super easy, just flip the lever down and pull the laces as tight as you want, then flip the lever up to lock them in place. Here are some pics.

07 Xenon Lace Lock Open
OpenF

The bindings open up super wide so they are really easy to get into. No soap, no water, just slip them on.
OpenT

Laces pulled tight and lock closed
ClosedF

From the top you can see how the upper cuff of the liner wraps around the tounge of the liner, no pinch points and super hold.
ClosedT

About the Cartel, I rode the 141 and really liked it, I still like the Natural 139 a little better, but like Chris said, the Natural works better for my style(or lack there of)!! If there wasn't a Natural I would ride the Cartel for sure. It's super fast and light and lands really soft.

Hope this helps,
jjakober
Old     (cookie)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-21-2007, 12:43 PM Reply   
Wow, great pics! Looks amazing to me.
JJakober, why do you like the Natural better? Is it more agressive? More forgiving? Better POP? Lighter?
Old     (cookie)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-21-2007, 12:45 PM Reply   
By the way, does the Argon come with this new lace-system, or is it just the Xenon-series?
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-21-2007, 1:27 PM Reply   
Andy,

For my riding style the Natural seemed to pop better for me. I tend to flatten out a little at the wake so I think the wider tip/tail of the Natural helps me get more pop. I ride the Natural finless and I rode the Cartel finless also. Like others have said the Cartel is a little looser. I didn't mind that though. I think other then the pop, they rode very similar and I liked them both.

Yes the Argons have the new lace lock.

jjakober
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-22-2007, 7:28 AM Reply   
Andy,

I have the Argons. They have the same lace system, only they adjust in the back. I'll take a couple pics and post.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-22-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
Dang J! You talked me into the Natural! (Best thing that happened to me since I started wakeboarding!) And it looks like the O'Brien bindings are cush! I have yet to see something that I think looks like they'd be better than my Nice RG-1s but I may have seen it. I do like rear laces though. Do the Argons have laces over the toe and up the back? A close up of Argons would be great!
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-22-2007, 11:28 AM Reply   
Josh,

I used to be a rear lace guy also. I rode the Argons for 2 years, but these Xenons have just as much hold and support and are much easier to get into because they can be opened up so wide!

Glad you like the Natural!

Later,
jjakober
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-22-2007, 12:38 PM Reply   
josh check out the Naturals' Ollie, things got snap!!

www.wakepics.com/img/20673
Old     (cookie)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-27-2007, 6:06 PM Reply   
Cliff, what happened to those pics?