Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-27-2011, 8:02 PM Reply   
Threw together a set of a buddy. Put together a new GoPro extension pole and rode doubles. Pretty cool angle. Now just need the season to be longer...

from John Brine on Vimeo.

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-27-2011, 10:26 PM Reply   
almost makes you think there was a heli involved
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-28-2011, 6:20 AM Reply   
That was very cool. At first I did not see the other rope so you had me scratching my head.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-28-2011, 7:03 AM Reply   
very cool idea man! Total heli look. Love the Indy Poke Camera Point! hahahaha!
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-28-2011, 8:30 AM Reply   
sweet idea! +1 on the camera point.. that was funny.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-28-2011, 10:03 PM Reply   
Oh I definitely wanna try that out with mine! How much longer did you ride than him? And how long of a pole did you use ?
Old     (garveyj)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-29-2011, 5:45 AM Reply   
I think his rope was about 7 feet longer than the riders rope...The key we found on this was to attach the trailing riders rope to a lower attachment point - makes less for the rider to clear in the air. the pole was about 2-3 ft long but could be extended out. He also had one of those Noodles wrapped around it so that if it fell in the water that it would float.
Old     (SafetyMike)      Join Date: Nov 2010       09-29-2011, 8:56 AM Reply   
sick it looks good a lil shakie though
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-29-2011, 5:32 PM Reply   
Still tweaking the steadiness of the system. I have some ideas on that,
As Garvey wrote I was around 5-7 feet behind the rider. Some of the more heli style shots were when I extended the pole to be more around 15 feet from the water level (5 for me and 10 beyond that). For next year I would try this from a tube to relieve some of the stress from holding the rope. Arm got tired quickly when you just sit there. I will try to get some pics up of the setup shortly.

Still pretty stoked about how well the angle came together. All of these shots were from one set (and a quick one because of my arm getting tired). Will use again for sure.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-29-2011, 8:16 PM Reply   
shooting that angle from the tube is way easier. i've done the doubles route like that and its exhausting as heck. plus the tube is a better platform to get steady shots from, and you can get closer shots as well since you wont have to worry about the second line being in the way of the rider.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-30-2011, 8:38 AM Reply   
Sweet video and nice riding. I've done the one arm riding for shooting and you're right, it's amazing how fast you tire out. I can't imagine lasting as long as you did...

Love the look of the new Slingshot as well
Old     (MisterSister)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-30-2011, 11:03 AM Reply   
Ive got a 3ft GoPole pole extension im going to try this angle for sure, it looks like the pole is much longer then 3ft but i guess if your arm is fully extended it adds another 2 feet or so...
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-01-2011, 6:12 AM Reply   
Taking a tube out today to try again. Also going to take a second GoPro out and mount to the rope a couple feet in front of the handle. Good angle also.

Last edited by mnwakerider; 10-01-2011 at 6:17 AM.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-02-2011, 8:57 AM Reply   
Well it was a bit of a fail this weekend. Took out the tube and had some really good shots (at least I think so)... Had a Crash that ended up throwing me out the front of the tube. Go pro hit the water and snapped the pole when it pushed under the tube. Really bummed not only that the go pro didn't float but that I didn't get the footy... I had a float on the pole but never thought that the pole would break. I even had a steel cable securing the go pro to the pole, I am guessing that part is still working, but no float on the top half of the pole equals no go pro...
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-02-2011, 12:48 PM Reply   
Dude that sucks!! I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I have my go pro on a snow ski poll with a go float it super glued to the rear of the go pro. Dropped it once while on a wave runner, nearly ***** a brick but to my surprise the go float it floated it. I'm getting side tracked... but I feel bad for you man.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-02-2011, 5:27 PM Reply   
That does suck! we just tried this over the weekend worked out pretty well. I am using 2 extension from my roof rake like this one...
http://www.truevalue.com/product/729...gag=3985592499
I sprayed the expanding foam into ends of each section of the pole to seal it and to ensure that it will float.

I also know the gutwrenching feeling when you lose the camera, I still troll the shoreline hoping my first one will wash ashore by some miracle and I will be the one to find it!
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-02-2011, 7:39 PM Reply   
yea that is the second one from our crew on the same lake in two years... not a good record.
Old     (MisterSister)      Join Date: Mar 2011       10-03-2011, 6:25 AM Reply   
Dudddeeeeee, sorry you lost it. This is a must....

http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/...&cvsfhu=353132

PS: I emailed the GoPole company and they told me all their new poles are going to float and not require the use of a tripod adapter or any other mounts. Should be interesting because Im always worried my camera is going to spin off the tripod mount. Either way Id always use the gopro float when near the water.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-04-2011, 10:45 AM Reply   
So youre saying you broke my pole? That is seriously a bummer, i thought it was fool proof!
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-04-2011, 12:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwakerider View Post
Well it was a bit of a fail this weekend. Took out the tube and had some really good shots (at least I think so)... Had a Crash that ended up throwing me out the front of the tube. Go pro hit the water and snapped the pole when it pushed under the tube. Really bummed not only that the go pro didn't float but that I didn't get the footy... I had a float on the pole but never thought that the pole would break. I even had a steel cable securing the go pro to the pole, I am guessing that part is still working, but no float on the top half of the pole equals no go pro...
Diaster....I took mine to the cable this weekend with the waterproof door.......prettty dumb.
It's in a bag or rice in my hotpress for the next week. hope it recovers.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-04-2011, 3:30 PM Reply   
There's on of these at the bottom of Bald Eagle Lake in MN, curtiousy of my idiot Brother. Damn thing was 6 days old.
Attached Images

Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-04-2011, 8:01 PM Reply   
Ryan lost that! No way! How is he doing?

TheJeff - yea, I am looking for a new one to replace it with. That was just too good of a setup... Trust me after a full day of filming it was a terrible feeling all the way around.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-04-2011, 8:07 PM Reply   
Dude, that sucks so much.. I found that rather than spending the money on a pole like what you have, I just picked up a dowel rod from a local hardware store. Cost like 3 bucks and it floats, and is super sturdy. I mounted the GoPro on the pole with the handlebar mount. The dowel rod floats, which is the best part. It was also treated, so it hasn't warped or anything. I've had it hit the water in some pretty gnarly ways and have never had a problem.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-05-2011, 2:18 PM Reply   
Yeah we were origanally planning on just using a dowel but my roommate found this telescoping pole used for A/V equipment (not sure what exactly for). No worries John, i was not attached to it, just giving you a hard time.
Old     (chillwiththebrosandkickback)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-09-2011, 8:13 PM Reply   
Sick video! I am experimenting also with my go-pros. I recently strapped the go-pro to my chest and did a raley over my friend while we were riding doubles, check it out. Its towards the end of the video.