Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 10, 2008

Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-07-2008, 12:17 PM Reply   
Just bought a 85 Nautique 2001 for a good price. Has an engine that runs solid (idles well and runs at a good rpm), the boat holds speed well and the handling is fantastic. The boat needs cosmetic work, but the stringers are in good shape and the floor in general has no soft spots.

I of course missed getting pictures originally, but have some now. This weekend I started dry vac'ing the carpet and ended up ripping it all out. Taking out all the seats and carpet. The floor panel between the motor and back of the boat will need to be replaced, since that was a little soft. It is the only part of the floor that was not resin coated.

I just ordered a Monster Tower, 2 board racks and a burgundy colored bimini. I am getting ready to recarpet the boat and then put in a auto-ballast system. Since I have never weighted this boat before, I'm starting to wonder if I should wait to do the ballast until I can try some different configurations on the water. I know a lot of people have done these with this boat, but I would like to suit it to taste. On the flip side, I would like to get everything done at once.

Here are some picks. Oh yeah, the outside was just completely scrub and buffed. It was pretty nasty when I first got it.

Upload Upload

(Message edited by bflat53212 on July 07, 2008)

Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-07-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
Nice, and good news that the floors are mostly solid. I think that the Correct Crafts of this era were well built. You may want to look at the2001.com for ballast ideas, if you haven't already joined up.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-07-2008, 8:50 PM Reply   
Wow! So far I’ve got to say I’m happy I went with Monster Tower. I was originally going to use diywake, because of the price ($799 shipped with one free board rack). However, because I have already been waiting a couple of weeks for them to get items in stock (I even called the company for estimated date with no luck) and I couldn’t find more than one person saying they liked the product, I decided to spend an extra couple hundred for the peace of mind of going with a company that has a history of providing quality products. Also, the diywake universal tower was going to be a questionable fit. Monster Towers fit 60”-102”, while diywake was 74”-108”. I am right at 74”, might even be a little more narrow depending on where it fits best. Funny, as I am writing this and wanted to get accurate numbers, diywake’s website is now updated with in stock. That figures.

As I was saying, I am impressed with Monster Tower (MT). I placed my order this morning it originally included a bimini. In the comments section I entered my boat make and model. Within 5 minutes of placing my order, MT called me to let me know it would be best to wait on the order of the bimini to make sure of the measurements after the tower is installed. This makes sense and I should have known this, but it was nice they called me it, I think it shows integrity. They removed the bimini from my order. They have already shipped the order and I have got my tracking information. My Monster Tower and board racks will be arriving on Wednesday. Fantastic!

This now puts me in a position where I might be able to get the carpet, tower and board racks installed this coming weekend. I don't think it is an overly aggressive estimate, but we'll see.

The current plan:

1) Grey carpet – the original color was red
2) White with burgundy stripe -> seats/motor cover/side panels
-I think the two tone color scheme will look cleaner than the white, burgundy and blue they were rocking in this boat originally. A very 70’s-ish scheme.
3) New throttle handle
4) New steering wheel
5) New mirror to mount on the tower – the original mirror is installed on the dash, these mirrors are awful for spotting a wakeboarder.
6) Install a glove box that actually has a cover. The current box is just an indented dish on the dash. There is no cover for keeping items secure.
7) Rebuild the backseat (it was water rotted and vinyl ripped to shreds). The new seat will accommodate either:
a) one-ballast bag center mounted in the rear (aprox. 600lbs)
b) two bags running the length of the boat on either ends of the seat (500 lbs each)

I want this new seat to be functional, because this boat is small. I will have to get creative. If I want to spend the cash, I could use a container company that makes a 600lb hard plastic container whose dimensions should fit under the seat. I will have to search my work computer for the website, I will try to post it later.

8) Install an auto-ballast system, with aprox. 1,500 lbs. Details of two options include some of the same as listed above:

a) 600 lbs in the rear of boat integrated with the back seat, 350 lbs on each side of the motor (create a box that will sit over the bags for people to step on – these will be covered in Grey carpeting) and 200 lbs of hard weight in the bow.

b) 650 lbs running length-wise of boat on both sides of the back. These ballast bags will be up against the back of the boat integrated with the back seat. Also include 200 lbs of hard weight in the bow.