Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       10-21-2011, 7:24 PM Reply   
I'm thinking about dumping my cable service. I currently have UVerse and have had it going on 4 years. At first it was fantastic, but the bigger it got, the worse the service. Right now my biggest beef is the boxes. They are crap, and to get them replaced you always have to set up a service appointment. Most of my DVR'ed shows pause every 10 seconds or so because our bedroom box is such a piece and I'm not interested in wasting the better part of a day waiting on a service provider to show up and replace it. In the old days, I could go to my neighborhood cable office and switch out the boxes. Not so I have found with AT&T. Add to it I work about 65 hours a week and really don't use it that much anyway. Now, I'm starting to think about dumping it all together, but I have some questions for those that have done it.

Right now I've got a bill of about $185 a month. Mid level cable package, mid level internet, base phone (for security system purposes only). I would have to keep the internet and most likely the phone, though my provider now offers other methods. My first question is what am I really going to be saving in the long run. I'm guessing right off I'll have to buy an HD antenna, TIVO of some sort, computer hookups, possible HULU and NetFlix subscriptions, etc.

I am mainly interested in catching sports on the local channels which I should be able to get over the air and being able to DVR some other regular shows I watch.

So is it worth it?
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-21-2011, 8:11 PM Reply   
Dont have cable. Dont want cable.

Anything anymore you can find on the internet. A ruko box is a nice investment.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       10-22-2011, 8:35 PM Reply   
Over the air TV and plenty of content on the internet for free via hulu, crackle, etc. Heck, pick up a book and read something that interests you. After a week or two with no cable you won't miss it.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       10-23-2011, 1:52 PM Reply   
Book comment was helpful, thanks.