Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old    cwbabsolute1080            05-10-2006, 7:51 PM Reply   
Hey I am trying to get my boat fine tuned for wakeboarding this summer and I am thinking about putting on a wakeplate. I have heard that with full ballast, if you put the wake plate down, the boat gets up on plane a lot easier and then you raise it up, to drop the back of the boat down and throw the bigger wake. Does it work like this?? How efficiant is a wakeplate??

Also I was wondering if I could put a wedge on the boat?? It is a moomba ut it has enough room for the bracket to be bolted to the transom. Does anyone do this?? How does it work with boats other than malibus?

Thanks!
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-10-2006, 8:01 PM Reply   
you can't put a wedge on any other boat than a malibu..
i dont know about the wakeplate..sorry
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-10-2006, 9:27 PM Reply   
Actually I believe it has been done. But the results are unpredictable.
Old    xtremebordgurl            05-10-2006, 9:35 PM Reply   
I remember at the 04 surf expo there was a guy at the regal session boat (by the way whatever happened to them?) and he was talking about and aftermarket product similar to the wedge but called... I think it was a "whale tale".

William, it actually works in the exact opposite maner, unless you're talking about trim tabs which are something entirely differnt altogether. A mechanism similar to the malibu wedge would create more of a down force on the stern and would sink the back of the boat, acting like ballast. It would be more difficult to stear/plane but it would change your wake shape and possibly even make it larger.

trim tabs, like those on a tige' do exactly like what you described, by putting them down, it pushes the back of the boat up, making it easier to plane, one you're on plane if you put them up it makes the stern drop deeper into the water to produce a larger wake. If you have an outboard boat or an i/o the trim on you're engine does the exact same thing. I've had a sea ray for a couple years, and had outboard or i/os all my life and when I got into wakeboarding thats what we did, trim it up little by little and you can actually watch the wake change. Anywho, hope that helps. Good luck and have fun!
Old    cwbabsolute1080            05-10-2006, 10:31 PM Reply   
Hey thanks.. I found this one by lookin at pics off of wakeworld from the surf expo.... www.wakezup.com Anyone have any expierience???

Upload
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-11-2006, 4:04 AM Reply   
Trim tabs are made by Bennett, the Wedge is Malibu - won't sell to anyone else, the picture above is a Switch Blade, effect is very similar to the Wedge.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-11-2006, 4:09 AM Reply   
I've had hydraulic wake plates on both boats I've owned. They help some with getting on plane, eliminate all porposing when running down the lake. If you're adding to a boat that has nothing they are not going to make your wake bigger than it is with nothing on the back. The Switch blade will make the wake much bigger. If you look close the enzo above has a manual wake plate in addition to the switch blade. That is to eliminate porposing.
Old     (crghou)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-12-2006, 1:41 AM Reply   
I had found this place a little while ago. It has some trim plates which is like a wake plate I assume. Never heard anything about them but look like they should work fine.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/order/items2.cgi