Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (wakechica)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-16-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
Hi Everyone! I am looking at getting my first wakeboard boat and I have found a 1998 Malibu sportster I think it is with a tower and board racks. The motor has 266 hours on it and I cN GET THE boat for about $15,000.00. I was wonder if it produced a good wake and if this is a good deal? Also did you have to put any weight in it to get a good wake? If so how much and where?
THanks, Meg
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-16-2007, 9:36 AM Reply   
it has an awesome wake very flat and soft for slalom skiing.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-16-2007, 10:59 AM Reply   
my friend has the same boat i think its an 01, last year of it not sure on the year. but he had a manual wedge thrown on it and with 2 250# on the side of the motor and a couple peeps its a fun wake. that little boat works hard though with the wedge and the weight and its kinda scetchy compaired to a boat with a little more freeboard. if you want my honest opinion its a great little ski boat. but i would take your funds and look at somthing alittle bigger if wakeboarding is your main focus
Old     (wakechica)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-16-2007, 11:22 AM Reply   
ok thanks for your help and opinions b/c wakeboarding is the main focus for me and that is why i would be buying the boat
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-16-2007, 4:23 PM Reply   
Same hull all the other Bu's in that model year. I had a 96 Echelon, with wedge and about 1000lbs, and it was workable. Had nice shape, but limited to how much weight you can use because of the low freeboard.

I frankly think 15k maybe a little high, even if it has a tower. I sold mine with tower, stereo, and wedge, and less hrs two years ago for 16k. People are fighting to get rid of DD stuff, especially closed bow.

Great little boat though. I loved mine, an absolute blast to drive if it has an upgraded engine
Old     (lanzo)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-16-2007, 5:40 PM Reply   
Meg - at that price you could find a 1995-1997 Malibu Sunsetter, which is basically the same hull as a Sportster (SV23 wake) but on a wider and longer boat. With a Sunsetter you get much more space and storage.

The older Sunsetters are the same as the current Malibu I-Rides and the wake for boarding has much more potential than a Sportster...

The Sportster is a great boat, however, especially for starters...
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-16-2007, 6:49 PM Reply   
Pass on the sportster, almost got one glad I didnt. I went with an older Malibu for less... no problems, more fun....
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-16-2007, 8:48 PM Reply   
I bought a 99 sportster lx in 98 and loved it. I damn near sank it, but it did the job. Had a 350 on each side of motor, 350 in the back and 330 in the bow. it was damn near under water but i can tell you it thru a bad ass wake. took 300 yards to stop but oh well it worked at the time. I would look for a sunsetter, a little deeper and probably find one for the same price
Old     (wakechica)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-17-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
Jeff, DD is Direct drive right? If so why is everyone getting rid of the Direct drive? Also what is the difference between the direct drive and the I-drive? THanks
Old     (wakemann)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-17-2007, 10:45 AM Reply   
Most people are transitioning away from Direct Drive (DD) motor in the center because of the room and wake that a V-Drive (rear engine) offers. A DD produces the best slalom wake or I should say “no wake” that a V-Drive can’t touch. But most of us are not hard-core slalom skiers and today’s V-Drives offer a decent recreational slalom wakes. Also because of the center mounted Ski pylon on a DD no one can sit rear of the pylon with out having to worry about the rope snapping their head off, thus less room. The V-Drive’s Pylon for skiing is mounted behind the rear seat, thus no worries about being decapitated and more room. On the other hand V-Drives shine when it comes to wakeboarding. They (V-Drives) produce some monster wakes compared to DD. If you try to match the V-Drive wake with a DD you have to add a tremendous amount of weight inside the boat. Sacs on the side of the motor in the front walkway and maybe behind the motor. Then there is no room for people. Where Malibu does have the wedge to help out, you cannot match the V-Drive wake. Don’t get me wrong you can get a decent wakeboard wake out of a DD. But it all depends on your needs. Most people go out with a bunch a people and want to carry everyone on board and the V-Drive fits their needs. Hope this helps out. This is coming from the owner of a 96 Malibu Sunsetter LX (DD) and I love my boat. Malibu has two entry-level boats that are really not entry level (Very good boats with great options) the I-Ride that is a DD with the wakeboard tower. And the V-Ride, which is the V-Drive with the wakeboard tower.

(Message edited by wakemann on October 17, 2007)