Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (o2binvallarta)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-21-2006, 5:02 PM Reply   
My Sea Ray 175 Coast Guard placard states the weight limit it 1080 lbs. I've seen tons of posts from similarly sized boat owners stating they have that much and more weight in ballasts, plus the people. How much weight is really safe?
Old     (bucnoles)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-21-2006, 5:10 PM Reply   
That's just a starting point on how much extra weight you should put in!
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-21-2006, 5:26 PM Reply   
"That's just a starting point on how much extra weight you should put in!"

Not in a 17 foot sea ray!! I only guess, but you have a 4.3 litre V6 in that thing? You could put 1000lbs in it, but you couldn't get on a plan for boarding.

Any inboard or vdrive, the CG plate is a good place to start weight wise
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-21-2006, 6:28 PM Reply   
Jeff,
I would bet you money that a 17ft searay with a 4.3l merc will get on plane. I had an 18ft with the same motor with much more weight then that and never had a problem planing, handled like a pig but we boarded behind it for two summers!
Old     (o2binvallarta)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-21-2006, 6:32 PM Reply   
Jeff,

Are you saying 1000 lbs plus passengers? or total?

As for planing, I think (hope) it will handle it, with the assistance of a hydrofoil and 4 blade prop.

Thanks!
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-21-2006, 6:40 PM Reply   
"Jeff,
I would bet you money that a 17ft searay with a "4.3l merc will get on plane. I had an 18ft with the same motor with much more weight then that and never had a problem planing, handled like a pig but we boarded behind it for two summers!"

Matters how you define plane. Frankly, any extra weight past about 500 lbs in that small of a boat, might be dangerous

"Jeff,
Are you saying 1000 lbs plus passengers? or total?
As for planing, I think (hope) it will handle it, with the assistance of a hydrofoil and 4 blade prop.
Thanks!"

The 4 blade and hydrofoil will help, but like said above, anything over 500 might be a little much
Old     (o2binvallarta)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-21-2006, 7:27 PM Reply   
I was planning on starting with about 650, but maybe I'll play it safe and back down to 500, 150 up front and 350 in the ski locker.
Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-21-2006, 7:31 PM Reply   
Let us know how it goes. I have a similar sized boat and was wondering the same thing.
Old    bocephus            08-21-2006, 7:36 PM Reply   
Better yet, ask your insurance agent...
Old     (jpwakejp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-22-2006, 8:01 AM Reply   
I was wondering the same question. I have a ski centurion with a low freebaord (which is normal in the mid 90's) it is rated 8 people or 1200lbs.... anyone else have something similar to this? what do you use if you do? its a 21ft
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-22-2006, 10:06 AM Reply   
The C.G. requires the manufacturers to put the capacity plate on the boat to indicate the safe loading of the boat based on a standard formula that includes the amount of freeboard, overall length, etc.

Other than the fact that the "capacity" has to be clearly indicated there is no law that says you must follow it.

If you want to load it heavier, go ahead. But please be careful! If you get the boat really heavy, and then take a wake over the bow it can swamp the boat. All that ballast can put a lot of strain on the hull that it wasn't designed to carry.
Old    bocephus            08-22-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
You insurance agent will also laugh at you when you sink it!
Old     (o2binvallarta)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-22-2006, 10:13 AM Reply   
Is that the voice of experience, Bocephus?
Old    bobthomas            08-22-2006, 10:16 AM Reply   
"The C.G. requires the manufacturers to put the capacity plate on the boat to indicate the safe loading of the boat based on a standard formula that includes the amount of freeboard, overall length, etc. "

FWIW, this only applies to motorized boats less than 20 feet.
Old     (jpwakejp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-22-2006, 10:24 AM Reply   
This boat is a 1996 sport bowrider centurion...it is 20'10" and it has a capacity plate.... so it applies to 20'+?
Old    bobthomas            08-22-2006, 10:29 AM Reply   
No, the plate is not required by law.

Some boat manufacturers belong to the NMMA and to get a NMMA "certification" all boats under 26 feet require a capacity plate.
Old     (jpwakejp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-22-2006, 7:08 PM Reply   
what about the people allowed... mine says 8... could i have 9 or 10 and get away with it without gettin in any trouble from lake patrol?
Old    bobthomas            08-22-2006, 7:17 PM Reply   
There is no statutory limit to how many people you have in the boat (since your boat is over the minimum length per the federal law). The plate is not required. You could simply remove it and pile 14 people in the boat.

However, if the lake patrol deems it to be unsafe I'm sure they would simply write you up for unsafe operation.

There is no free lunch...
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-22-2006, 8:22 PM Reply   
The formula is more complicated that this but this is a very basic break down.

Length in feet of the boat Multiply Beam of the boat in feet divided by 15. They assume each adult to weight 150 lbs
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-22-2006, 8:24 PM Reply   
Here is more info

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14mar20010800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2002/octqtr/pdf/46cfr178.330.pdf#search=%22uscg%20vessel%20capacit y%20limit%20formula%22
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       08-23-2006, 4:08 AM Reply   
While there might not be any federal regulation regarding capacity plates, Ohio law makes it illegal to remove the place or operate your boat in excess of any of the capacities.

ORC 1547.39 & ORC 1547-40)

I'm pretty sure some other states have similar statutes.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-23-2006, 6:37 AM Reply   
Bob, are you sure the plate is required by the USCG?

My Calabria has no plate.
Old    bobthomas            08-23-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
Nate:

"TITLE 33--NAVIGATION AND NAVIGABLE WATERS

CHAPTER I--COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

PART 183_BOATS AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT--Table of Contents

Subpart B_Display of Capacity Information

Sec. 183.21 Applicability.

This subpart applies to monohull boats less than 20 feet in length,
except sailboats, canoes, kayaks, and inflatable boats.

Sec. 183.23 Capacity marking required.

Each boat must be marked in the manner prescribed in Sec. Sec.
183.25 and 183.27 with the maximum persons capacity in whole numbers of
persons and in pounds, the maximum weight capacity in pounds, determined
under Sec. Sec. 183.33 through 183.43, and the maximum horsepower
capacity determined under Sec. 183.53 "

----http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/boatbuilder/safeloading/subc-1-183-31.htm

Joe H--

That's interesting. Ohio uses an example of a Coast Guard capacity plate on their website

http://www.dnr.ohio.gov/watercraft/opsguide/ohoplaws.htm

I wonder if "capacity plate" is a defined term.

http://www.dnr.ohio.gov/watercraft/opsguide/ohoplaws.htm

Edit: I found the actual text of the statute. They are referring to the CG plate:

"

§ 1547.39. Capacity plate required.

(A) No person, after January 1, 1977, shall manufacture, sell, or offer for sale any watercraft propelled by machinery as its principal source of power, or watercraft designed to be manually propelled, less than twenty feet in length, and designed to carry two or more persons, manufactured after that date, unless a capacity plate containing the correct information, as prescribed by regulations adopted by the United States coast guard, is firmly attached to the watercraft. The capacity plate shall be attached in such a location that it is clearly legible from the position designed or intended to be occupied by the operator when the watercraft is underway.

(B) No person shall operate or permit to be operated on the waters in this state watercraft for which a capacity plate is required under this section unless the capacity plate is attached.

(C) No person shall alter, remove, or deface any information contained on the capacity plate unless the manufacturer has altered the watercraft in such a way that would require a change in the information contained on the capacity plate.

(D) As used in this section, "manufacture" means to construct or assemble a watercraft, or to alter a watercraft in such a manner as to affect or change its weight capacity or occupant capacity. "

(Message edited by bobthomas on August 23, 2006)
Old     (charliep)      Join Date: May 2004       08-23-2006, 12:01 PM Reply   
If it is all just a CG formula did it change in the last few years? The X1 is rated for 11 people where as the 2003 X2 was 12 and the larger 2003 X10 was only 11 people. Did the CG change their formula due to Americans getting fatter or was this just an MC change?

It seems like lakes that have wake haters would try and use the CG plates as an enforcement tool.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-23-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
If the manufacture changed fuel cells that could come into play or added ballast. You have to have all ballast filled and the fuel tank 3/4 full when they test the boat. More ballast or a bigger fuel tank will lower the number of people you can put into your boat.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-24-2006, 12:52 AM Reply   
Im sure it also has to do with available seating. Ive seen boats rated to less then my boats 2000 lbs persons and gear but more people, mine at 9.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-24-2006, 7:33 AM Reply   
"(A) No person, after January 1, 1977, shall manufacture, sell, or offer for sale any watercraft propelled by machinery as its principal source of power, or watercraft designed to be manually propelled, less than twenty feet in length, and designed to carry two or more persons, manufactured after that date, unless a capacity plate containing the correct information, as prescribed by regulations adopted by the United States coast guard, is firmly attached to the watercraft."

Doesn't apply to wake boats as they exceed 20'