Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-16-2010, 11:04 PM Reply   
I have been shopping for a new boat for a while now and have narrowed it down to the 2010 VLX or a new 2009 XStar. I need a saltwater series boat and the 09 Mastercraft and 2010 Malibu are both saltwater boats. Same engine, similar options, tough call. The kicker is that both boats are the same price! Any feedback, opinions and advice would be great! Thanks

Last edited by wakeworld; 03-23-2010 at 1:27 PM.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-16-2010, 11:09 PM Reply   
now it comes down to the type of fit and finish you like and the wake. have you ridden behind either boats? i prefer the malibu just because i like how plush it feels, but its your call in the end.
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-16-2010, 11:25 PM Reply   
I have been behind the XStar and loved it. Never behind a VLX.

Last edited by wakeworld; 03-23-2010 at 1:26 PM.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-17-2010, 1:27 AM Reply   
Tommy,

I don't know if you can go wrong with either boat. I own an X-star and ride behind a VLX regulary as my good friend owns one.

As far as fit and finish go, both are top notch. Both are plush.
Wakes: A matter of debate. I would give the X-star the edge w/ weight and for the HARDCORE wakeboarder. Many do not need that type/size of wake. VLX has a great wake and a far superior surf wake in my experience.

VLX feels larger inside. If it was me i think it would come down to what the two companies did to get the thing ready for the salt. I am not sure how Malibu prepares the boat to operate in salt. Like i said, i probably did not help you out at all, but both are great and will basically come down to which you prefer to ride behind and can live with. You might want to spend several hours in each one.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-17-2010, 5:33 AM Reply   
My considerations would be:
1. Room (the XStar has more room in the bow, but is more cramped in the cockpit than the VLX)
2. Wake (The VLX takes less weight to pump up the stock wake)
3. Surfing (The VLX has a better surf wake)
4. Resale (There are a bunch of factors to be considered. See what older XStars and VLX's are selling for and try to anticipate whether any prospective changes in the boats will affect your future resale)
5. Dealer (Which is the better local dealer to work with/ who has the better reputation? You will have a problem with any boat you buy at some point)
6. Trailer (Are the trailers comparable? Galvanized?)
7. Tower speakers (Are you interested in upgrading to different tower speakers at any point? Consider whether the respective towers offer any limitations as to what speakers you can mount)
8. Color (What are the colors of the boats? Which do you like better and which bodes better for resale?)
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-17-2010, 5:48 AM Reply   
Both are great wake boats. I have owned a malibu 23 lsv. and currently own a x-star. I think the x-star is a high quality boat, but i believe you get more for your money with the vlx
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-01-2010, 9:56 PM Reply   
I just wanted to say thanks for all the great info. It really made my decision a lot.... more difficult! lol. Everyone loves their boat and I can't blame them both boats are mental! I decided to go with the XStar. I have been in love with the X-Star for years. This was a good resource and I really do appreciate all of the great feedback. Now if anyone wants a pull in OC please hit me up!!

Thanks Again!!
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       04-02-2010, 8:16 AM Reply   
Congrats on the new boat!
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-02-2010, 11:11 AM Reply   
I do own a MC and it's hard to get past the floor/seats in this link, but I do like the VTX. Interested in checking it out and maybe purchasing one someday....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...&postcount=119
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-05-2010, 2:42 PM Reply   
Here she is!!
Attached Images

Old     (Showmethebutter)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-05-2010, 3:08 PM Reply   
Sick boat man! Love the colours.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-05-2010, 2:54 PM Reply   
Ver' Nice!
Old     (joker)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-05-2010, 3:56 PM Reply   
would go for the malibu over the mastercraft, both are great, but i just don't know about mastercraft long term, they have screwed over a lot of people with the rebate fiasco, i think the name is the only thing that has kept them out of bankruptcy, anyway, both are great, i also really like the new tige boats, they have done more over two years as far as quality and looks, i think that will be my next boat, they are really nice
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-05-2010, 4:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker View Post
would go for the malibu over the mastercraft, both are great, but i just don't know about mastercraft long term, they have screwed over a lot of people with the rebate fiasco, i think the name is the only thing that has kept them out of bankruptcy, anyway, both are great, i also really like the new tige boats, they have done more over two years as far as quality and looks, i think that will be my next boat, they are really nice
Lee, no offense but are you blind? He already bought the Xstar and even has pictures 3 posts above yours.

BTW, great looking xstar.
Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-05-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
Tommy- Congrats...beautiful boat!!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-05-2010, 9:55 PM Reply   
I thought I told you to buy the VLX... j/k!

Tommy, it's hard to argue with your decision after seeing the pics. Sick sick boat! Congrats!
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-06-2010, 2:32 PM Reply   
Am I the only person who thinks the BU VLX wake got much worse in 2009?
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-06-2010, 4:16 PM Reply   
Awesome looking boat, you couldnt go wrong with the decision either way but nice choice.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-19-2010, 11:09 AM Reply   
I would have had a hard time picking any boat over that one!
Old     (blowhole)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-19-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
dang sick boat hope you ride the shot out of it
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-19-2010, 12:33 PM Reply   
Tommy... Congrats. That boat is georgous. We're on our 4th X-star and have loved every minute in them. The wakes are mackin', and IMO they drive great. I'm always suprised when people say they're a slug. If they can make a tight turn in the Delta when fully loaded, then I'm impressed, and the Stars do it great.

As for dipping the nose, the star has proven better than my old X1, or Sanger DLX. The nose is soo long and the "tri" hull shape helps them displace a bunch of water when rolling over wakes or coming off plane. If you're regularly dipping the nose, then you're probably making a poor wake, too, because you don't have enough weight in the rear.

If I have one complaint with the X-star it's in how a$$ heavy they like to be. In turn they get crappy mileage when fully loaded. This probably wouldn't be an issue for a lot of people, but our boat's never empty. It's loaded to ride at all times, so we burn through a lot of fuel. It's worth it for the wake though. It's absolutely MEATY! The thickest wake I've ever been on. Those boats push a TON of water.

FWIW... I love the VLX, too. If I were in the market it'd be between these two boats for me, too. Can't go wrong either way.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-19-2010, 2:19 PM Reply   
Tommy, do you guys ride in the Huntington harbor? I swear that launch ramp looks familiar. Congrats on the ride, I'm just incredibly curious as to where you guys ride.