Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-16-2010, 10:42 PM Reply   
Picked up a 2006 Sanger V215 last summer as my first boat and I have a few questions. I need to change the water impeller and don't really want to pay $250 for my local shop to change it. It has the Black Scorpion 5.7L(I think) 330hp engine. Is there any good how-to write ups on this anywhere? Part numbers? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Also wondering if anyone is running the Fly-high 50x20x20 750's in the rear. I would like to upgrade but these seem a little big for the back compartments and I haven't been able to get out to my boat to measure.

Thanks!!
Ryan
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-10-2010, 6:11 AM Reply   
Finally remembered why I never use grease on impellers and it has nothing to do with deteriorating the rubber.

On many inboard engines, gassers and diesel the pump seal is a ceramic seal, like a PSS shaft log, not a lip seal. A little drop of oil or grease in the seal and it will leak like Niagara Falls.

The Mercruiser stuff is all lip seals I'm pretty sure. Watch out for Volvos, Cat and Cummins.

You know she is pumping water when all the soap bubbles come up behind the boat
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-10-2010, 8:03 AM Reply   
Walt-do you have a V215 with the black scorpion? Can you help me out with what size/type impeller I need to get?
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-10-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanw209 View Post
Walt-do you have a V215 with the black scorpion? Can you help me out with what size/type impeller I need to get?
I have a 210 but I would guess they are the same if yours is a Merc too. I don't know the part number because My friend/mechanic new it off of the top of his head and just handed it to me.
Old     (FreeRider209)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-11-2010, 2:48 PM Reply   
Ryan I can hook you up on the impeller. We have em in stock. If you don't wanna squeze that 750 fly high has the 550 that is 16x16x42 that is specifically desinged for the rear v drive lockers.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-11-2010, 9:25 PM Reply   
Thanks Joe! I think I'll take you up on that! When do you work next? I want the 750's mainly so I have plenty of weight for surfing. I debated getting the 550's but I think my boat needs all the weight I can get for a good wave.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-27-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
How do you know you have the right tension on the belt when it's put back in place?

Very complete walktrough, very helpfull. Thanks!!
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-03-2010, 5:31 PM Reply   
Did my impeller this afternoon. Wasnt half as bad as I thought. Took about 1.5 hrs start to finish. Thats with acouple short breaks. After watching this thread so close it was almost like I had done it before lol

Seriuosly, I'd rather change my impeller than my oil. Not sure who keeps getting in my boat and cranking my oil filter so tight lol I hate that damn thing.
Old     (ccripps)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-03-2010, 7:34 PM Reply   
I also just completed my Impeller change thanks to this thread, I wasn't as fast Richard proably took 2.5 hours and the hardest part was trying to get the new impeller in. Proably the best peice of advice was from Ryan WATCH OUT FOR SMALL WASHER HERE, I would have never seen that washer.

Also completed the Oil Change today the only things left to change are the tranny and V-Drive oil.

Thanks for everyones input
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-04-2010, 6:52 PM Reply   
Yea chris I didn't see that washer either and spent 30 minutes lookIng for it after it fell under the engine lol. Do a write up on the tranny and vdrive oil if u can. I still need to do these. How often does everyone change the tranny and vdrive oil anyway?

Jonathan- I just felt how tight it was before I took it off so i knew how tight to get it. I pushed down in the middle of the belt on the top and had about 1/2 inch of play.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-04-2010, 7:56 PM Reply   
I do oil engine oil every 25 and trans and vdrive every other oil change. 50 on engine oil and 100 on trans and vdrive would be fine though.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-04-2010, 7:57 PM Reply   
Thanks, one last thing, did you undo the fuel lines? They look like they are in the way...
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-04-2010, 8:20 PM Reply   
No you don't need to undo the fuel lines. If fact you don't even need to take off the fuel filter mounting bracket either. It just makes life a little easier and gives you some more room to work in. When you undo the bracket you can push the whole thing around or lay it over and leave the lines connected.

Sparky- what tranny oil and v-drive oil do you use? I just hit the 100 hr mark so I guess I should get in that before summer gets here.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-04-2010, 8:25 PM Reply   
Ryan, 30w non-detergent (yes it must be non-detergent) engine oil for the vdrive and Dextron III for the trans
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-04-2010, 8:32 PM Reply   
any idea on how many quarts for each fluid? Thanks!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-04-2010, 9:10 PM Reply   
Yeah like around a quart for vdrive and around twice that for the trans give or take depending on how much you are able to get out. Raise the trailer to close to level. Check the level of each before you drain/draw the oil out, this will be your reference point Fill back to that point, then re-check next time out. Levels are supposed to be checked on the water with boat at rest/stopped. Fluids need to be warmed up prior to checking because ATF will expand as it gets warm. Dont overfill.

Last edited by wake_upppp; 04-04-2010 at 9:15 PM.
Old     (evadehickman)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-11-2010, 8:11 AM Reply   
This thread was fantastic and allowed me to gather the stones needed to try this. Thanks to Sparky Jay for taking the lead and putting his skills into play. If it is useful to folks, this link below shows the video of the entire process. Thanks to everybody who posted on this thread and shared their knowledge. This is exactly why I love wakeworld!

Step by Step Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWzqRE96Zts
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-12-2010, 4:56 AM Reply   
Wow great video David! Thanks for the contribution!!!