Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-22-2010, 1:59 AM Reply   
Anyone have any idea what the tongue weight of a 08 Sanger V215 is. I dont have a scale nearby and I am currently looking for a truck camper. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       08-22-2010, 6:53 AM Reply   
I google search shows a boat weight of 3200 lbs. If we estimate the trailer and gear at 800 we get 4,000. Normal tongue weight of 10-15% you get 400-600 lbs.
Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       08-22-2010, 10:35 AM Reply   
Your bigger issues might be GVWR which could get exceded with a truck camper and a boat.
Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-22-2010, 11:37 AM Reply   
I am aware of the GVWR issues, which is why I am looking for the approximate tongue weight of the boat. So safe to say it will be approximately 500 lbs????
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-22-2010, 1:01 PM Reply   
Normally your tongue weight will be about 400#s. You can adjust that by having the hitch higher or lower to increase or decrease the tongue weight. You can also adjust it by loading for things like spare tire and gear on the boat.
Your boat is about 3200 base and the trailer is about 1100. You might have 600# of extras and fuel on the boat.
So, 500# is a good guess for a load to plan on.
Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-22-2010, 2:21 PM Reply   
thanks for the help guys, I think I will base my weight on the 500 lbs tongue weight as I am sure with the camper on the truck I will be using the boat for more storage to get the weight on the trailer and off the truck. Diesel can pull anything, but loading it on the truck is a different story. If only the wife was okay with double towing. thanks again guys.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-23-2010, 7:11 AM Reply   
Hmmm... It sounds like you don't have a dually? I bet a big slide-in is pretty unwieldy on a SRW truck. You are probably statistically safer double towing.
Old     (4white)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-24-2010, 9:48 AM Reply   
I weighted my 2006 V215 at a truck stop on the way home from the lake this weekend and with a full tank of fuel it came out at 4894 pounds. Hope this helps.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-24-2010, 10:49 AM Reply   
When you say truck stop is that the highway weight stations or can you check the weight at a truck stop? I'm curious about my weight.
Old     (4white)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-24-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
Highway weight stations, this one was closed so I just drove onto the scale.
Old     (sporte77)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-26-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
Look up "commercial scales" in your area on the internet to get it weighed. They will usually let you weigh the whole thing with the jack down on the scale platform, then pull up and weigh the rear axles separately. From there, you will know your total weight & the tongue wt. I have a Ford F350 Single rear wheel 4x4 long bed. I have an 11' camper (02 Lance with a slide out). I have an 03 MB Sports B52. My boat with the trailer weighed a lot more than I thought!! My boat, full of gas, on the trailer, weighed 5360. My tongue weight ended up at 520 lbs. So, you can see it's right at about 10%. If you go with a camper larger than 8' - you WILL be over grossed without a dually - pulling your boat. For example, most diesel longbed trucks (4x4) are rated at about 9500-10000lbs. GVWR. The trucks usually weigh about 7800-8200 alone (mine weighs about 7900 full of diesel with me & 2 kids). Add your 11' camper with a slide @ 3900lbs - and your at 11,800. So you are at least 1800 over your gvwr. Add your 500lbs tongue wt and your up around 2000 over. Look around - you'll see there are many who are doing it. The trucks will pull it, with bags on it, a truck can handle the load. The weakest link: your tires. At those loads, you'll be around 8000lbs on the rear axle (MOST are rated at 6800-7000). But what are your tires rated at? Load E, which is the largest load rated tires you can get without changing to a commercial tire/rim (19.5" Rickson Wheel) is about 7500lbs for 2 rear tires. So, if you are going to run that with the boat, be concerned about your rear axle weight and the load it has on your tires. On a hot, long drive over grossed - you may have a blowout. A blowout on a single rear wheel with a camper, pulling a boat that heavy is going to be EXCITING! :-) Check into Rickson Wheels - they make a wheel/tire set that handles 10000 on each axle. Remember, you'd still be over - so it's not legal and there are a ton of other questions (insurance, your brakes, etc.). I'd say, if you have a small family, go for a very small, light camper. Or put your money into renting trailers when you go somewhere. Most companies deliver. We did that for years. It costs about $800-$1000 per week & if you only go 2x per year - it's cheaper than buying the truck/camper setup.