Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old    stoked27            05-20-2006, 5:52 PM Reply   
Got a recommendation to cut the clips off of my helmet and put some velcro straps on instead. The reasoning behind it is that the helmet will act like a parachute with the water if you wipeout wrong, causing neck injury.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard of changing the types of straps on the helmet, or if anyone has had problems with their helmets catching the water.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-20-2006, 7:05 PM Reply   
I would have to go with "not". Modifying safety equipment should be avoided. Most safety equipment has a small percentage of "down side". But the "up side" more than makes up for it. It's all about playing the odds.
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-20-2006, 7:07 PM Reply   
I dont ride with a helmet but my little cousin (she's 7) rides with one in the INT. We spoke with one of the sponsors and they highly recommended removing the clip and replacing with velcro for the very reason you mentioned....so yes, GREAT idea.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-20-2006, 7:17 PM Reply   
Did this "sponsor" happen to mention the type, amount, placement or strenght of velcro to be used? Of course not. Who would want to be liable or responsible for a modification such as this that acted incorrectly. Leave the designing to the engineers.
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-20-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
I dont think when the engineers designed the helmets they were intended to be used wakeboarding...the helmets were originally taken from the skateboard industry. They were designed to protect you head from impact to hard objects. Scenio....23mph, you fall feet out in front sliding on you butt. Do you want to stop sliding due to helmet resistance against water and that resistance is being applied to you neck?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-20-2006, 7:42 PM Reply   
That might be true if your body was shaped like a pencil. Most of the water will be broken up by other parts of your body as you enter the water. I own both a skate and wake helmet and they're not even close to the same if you look them over closely.

(Message edited by wake_upppp on May 20, 2006)
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-20-2006, 8:25 PM Reply   
If you want to modify a helmet for yourself and take the chance of improper protection go ahead. However, I vote for leaving the helmet of a 7 year old alone.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-20-2006, 8:29 PM Reply   
well IMO it would be a good idea if only for the reason that my pro tech ace wake always gets loose after a fall or two and i hate to keep adjusting over and over..some velcro might make it stay more snug..maybe keep the buckle at the chin area but modify the adjustment area to use velcro to adjust to a perfect size for each head and stay there...??
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-21-2006, 6:10 AM Reply   
OK,OK. Obviously my opinion is wrong. Next time before I give my opinion I will do research. I'm very new to the sport, I was just passing along the info I was told. So therefore the local sponsor was wrong as well. Sorry!
Old    stoked27            05-21-2006, 7:27 AM Reply   
Sparky-I'm neutral on the subject, however other parts of your body don't always break up the flow of water. I've had it happen to me wipeing out backwards (the airholes on top of the helmet caught the water and tried wipping my head around) and the person who told me said that he almost broke his neck because of this. I'm sure that there are some possibilities where parts of your body or head don't break up the flow of water. Either way, I was just wondering what other peoples' opinions on it were.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-21-2006, 9:10 AM Reply   
Every fall is different, you just don't know. Again, it's all about odds. Very few safety items are going to protect you 100%. It's like the seat belt. Most of the time it's going to save your life, but you are putting yourself in a dangerous situation when you get behind the wheel. Same thing with a helmet and wakeboarding. Modifying a peice of safety equipment is a whole other subject, and should be left to the engineers with the proper training and resorces. I certainly won't be modifying mine, but that should'nt stop you if that's what you decide. Good luck with it.
Old    alanp            05-21-2006, 10:11 AM Reply   
ive been riding with a helmet for about 4 years. i must be really out of touch with my head and neck. ive never felt any sensation of my head getting whipped around on a crash.