Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-10-2004, 10:39 AM Reply   
The interior on my Malibu Sunsetter is shot, it is a pretty normal layout as far as open bow DD's are concerned. I was thinking about changing it up when I rebuild the seats, like the layout of a Tige 22i in the back, or the current DD Wakesetter, any opinions, suggestions?
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-11-2004, 9:46 AM Reply   
Anybody?
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-11-2004, 11:57 AM Reply   
I don't have a Malibu but i do have a Sport Nautiqe which I did a little bit of modification to the Back seat and the side panels. Basically i added a little more length to the back seat with the addition of another cushion. I can slide the seat forward and it becomes a spectator seat, kinda like Tige has. Two people can rest their backs on the engine cover, it is a DD. Another bonus of this is you can actually lay down comfortably. On my year model (95) Sport the side panel flared down to the floor in the back so i cut the flared part (like the newer model Sports) and it opened up the walking space a little, makes the interior look bigger. I will take some pix and post in a couple of days if this will help.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-11-2004, 6:40 PM Reply   
That would be awesome, What kind of materials did you use? I want to work in some kind of rear facing seats.
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-12-2004, 8:13 AM Reply   
For the cushion extension i made the base out of Plywood and put three+ coats of resin to waterproof it. Sanded it down to a smooth finish and then had all of the rear seat skins and this piece of plywood (with foam) reupholstered, on nautiques they split the rear seat up into three different seats. I spent the better part of the winter thinking up ideas and there just is not a lot you can do with DD's.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       05-12-2004, 8:41 AM Reply   
Stephen:

I also have a Sunsetter. Not sure what year yours is, but mine has the flip up the seat back for storage with the bottom part of the back seat that slides into place.

There's a couple of problems with this setup.

1. The flip up back is inconvienient. The newer model years changed this to a top flip model. Of course this means changing the fiberglass.

2. The sides of the back seat are square and not very comfortable in the corners. Rounded corners would be nice.

3. I also like the rear facing seats that can pull out into a sun deck etc.

Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-12-2004, 10:21 AM Reply   
I am old school I have a 1986, and the back seat in particular is done for. I am thinking of putting in corner seats on either side (like the Tige 22i), and maybe extending the drivers side corner seat in the stern toward the driver's seat. I also want to put a seat cushion and back on the motor box. I want to leave the middle unpadded and use this for storage and a place to step up to the back of the boat.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-12-2004, 10:31 AM Reply   
hey stephen... i had an aztec crow... with typical direct drive layout... so i took pics of the tige 22i type r and took it into the upholstery shop... and they built a whole new interior to look like the tige.... turned out great
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-12-2004, 5:49 PM Reply   
I would love to see some pictures of these interiors.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       05-13-2004, 12:15 PM Reply   
I looked at the 22i interior online and it might be doable. I think you'll have to go to a thin back seat flip up to gain space behind the engine box for the engine box seat. I also think you'll have to eliminate the middle section of the back seat to provide leg room for the seat on the engine box. I wonder if there's enough width in the Sunsetter (93 inch beam I think) for the rear facing side seats.
Old    flipout            05-13-2004, 4:02 PM Reply   
I changed the configuration of the interior on my 1996 malibu tantrum. I used hard plastic which I purchased from a neon sign shop. I used the plastic for the backing and I had an upholstery shop do the rest.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-13-2004, 5:28 PM Reply   
Kyle (hamkj) and Scrogg Dogg post some pics please.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-13-2004, 6:33 PM Reply   
John, I intend to modify the layout a little. I don't think that I will ge able to do the two small seats on either side right next to the motor box, nor do I want them they are too small. I really want to replace the back seats with a large corner seat on either side, and leave the middle as a step up over the transom (probably gator grip, or carpet this area) and I will put a back rest and seat bottom on the motor box. I also like the 21 foot DD wakesetter (21xti, I believe)
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-14-2004, 9:30 AM Reply   
here is an interior shot.. i do not have the before shots.. but it was a typical.. drink holder in te back of the engine cover and bench seat in the back.. when i changed it.. i also moved the shower controls into a flip up access where you step into the boat at the back.. also.. i never had a trunk in this boat...

Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-14-2004, 10:23 AM Reply   
Kyle, thanks for posting the pictures, I have always liked the smooth deck on the Aztecs. What is the beam on that boat, how roomy is it in the back, and how usable are the lockers? Looks like the shop did a fantastic job on it.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-14-2004, 12:26 PM Reply   
there was still lots of room to move around.. you were never standing on seats or anything like that.. rope handle gloves and jackets all store in the side lockers... ballast tank under the backseat was cut back a bit to allow for more walking area...

you can start cuting plywood and building everything in your own boat.. doesnt have to be neat and tidy... once you get the sizes etc they way you want.. then cover with resin and you can reinforce with glass and then gel coat... then take the upholsterer and it will look great..