Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (joshwrighttexas)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-28-2009, 1:18 PM Reply   
How many different cables have you been to to ride and what is your fav
Me, I have been to all here in the US and Revolution cable park has the best pull for air tricks and an all around good cable revolutioncable.com
Old     (tom13knotek)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-28-2009, 1:28 PM Reply   
OW and TSR.I guess i would say TSR, but I will be working at wakenation this summer, so we will see which one is the best soon. What up Josh, I don't know if you remember me, but I was the boat driver for summer camp @TSR last summer and we hung through preston once or twice
Old     (tom13knotek)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-28-2009, 1:32 PM Reply   
actually i think i might have the wrong josh?????
Old     (joshwrighttexas)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-28-2009, 1:50 PM Reply   
Word, there are a lot of josh's but I did work at TSR for 5 years or so and preston and I are good friends, I think I remember ya. I will have to make a trip up and see wakenation
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-28-2009, 5:06 PM Reply   
I've been to Revolution, Rixen, TSR, and my hometown park OWC. It's been about 5 years since I've been to TSR and almost 4 since Rixen. Based on just the cable setup alone I would say TSR because the cable was higher and the island kept the chop down.

But OWC has the advantage of two cables, which keeps the lines low. For me short lines trump the advantages of TSR. Therefore, my favorite cable is the one I always ride and that's OWC.

The disadvantages of Rixen when I was there was they ran the cable slow, there was a 3 lap limit, and the placement of the obstacles wasn't good. Though the later may have changes. Rixen did have an awesome curved kicker. But walking back on those pine nuts was a bear.

The disadvantage of Revolution was that the sliders are still lacking. But worst of all was that you have to swim to the side, then walk, then swim across to the other side when you fall on the backside run. They won't let you swim directly. I found that to be a huge pain. I did like the higher cable quit a bit. And the lines were good the day I was there.
Old     (brendonwilmoth)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-28-2009, 6:58 PM Reply   
kc watersports is nice
but my favorite has to be texas ski ranch..ive only been there once and there whole facility is super nice and there is somthing for everyone to do.

im from oklahoma and i rode at cowc all summer..it was nice but the obsyicals would always break but this year boat and rv world owns it so it should be much nicer
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-28-2009, 8:47 PM Reply   
Hey Josh, where is revolution at? Are you at revolution now? Dont know if you remember me but I shot a video of you like 2 1/2 years ago at TSR. Its on wakepics.com You are also responsible for me getting a slingshot, guess I'll have to get you on my humanoid now lol
Old     (joshwrighttexas)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-01-2009, 7:57 AM Reply   
Word, yeah Kevin I remember ya. Yea I live in Ft Myers, FL now 5 min away from the cable and still live next to the river. Pretty much an awesome cable. We are building a 12" wide a frame on the right side and rebuilding our rooftop and putting it on the inside of the cable and another kicker right after
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-01-2009, 9:24 AM Reply   
Ft Myers is where I grew up. My family all lives there. I'm really glad they got a cable. I'm sure given some time to get all their facilities built that Revolution will be a top notch cable.
Old     (blakehess1)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-01-2009, 9:56 AM Reply   
I am a little biased but I would have to say TSR! I have been to them all as well! In my opinion any cable is a great a cable, I just like to see more wake parks opening. I have never and don't think I will ever visit a cable I didn't like! Don't forget there will be two more rixen cables opening this spring in Cincy and Fort Worth. If you are close and want more info on those goto http://www.CableWakeParks.com The website has pics of Cincy and the layout for Fort Worth. They are very similar shapes (symmetrical 6 tower systems) and both should be great for air tricks and structures.
Old     (pvsawyer)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-01-2009, 1:31 PM Reply   
I've been to CWC and KCW. Both are awesome, but I'm partial to my home cable TSR.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-01-2009, 1:54 PM Reply   
OWC and TSR. I liked OWC better because the sliders seemed to have been taken care of better than TSR did. At TSR when I was there this past summer, the best kicker was starting to sink and was totally crooked so you had to really try to stay in control on takeoff. If TSR had a flat bar and took care of that kicker, then I would vote TSR over OWC.
Old     (blakehess1)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-01-2009, 5:22 PM Reply   
Blake and Cody built a new kicker to replace the old one and also have a new rooftop rail on the right side. The riders asked us to offset the kickers a little bit because they like spinning off of them better. We put some extra cement blocks on one side to test the theory and most riders liked it. Sorry for the lack of a flat rail, one would be nice!!! Hopefully you will make it back out to TSR soon! If you have any questions about the new kicker just ask Louise (pvsawyer), she is hitting tootsie, TSBS3's and switch fronts off it! She's Killing it!
Old     (blakehess1)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-01-2009, 5:23 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-01-2009, 6:26 PM Reply   
I have only been to OWC and TSR and I would have to pick TSR.

I think the only things OWC has over TSR is their Sliders\Obstacles, sandy sides to walk up(always nice on the feet) and most importantly the second lake. That second lake cuts the line in half.

BUT to me TSR has a way smoother cable pull, less chop because of the island and over all good people... It doesn't matter if you Best Wakeboarder ever or just trying it for the first time, people there treat you the same. I didn't get that feel at OWC and to me that is really important.

On a side note I have to say I really like what TSR is doing on some of there sliders and hope they continue it.
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-02-2009, 8:29 AM Reply   
McCormicks in Tampa. Clockwise! Its a high cable with an island in the middle so its always butter. I like how there is a big focus on air tricks there(check my profile pic). The park is only about 6 months new so pretty much everything is brand new. For obstacles they have an inground a-frame, flat rail, wedge rail, 3 different size kickers, 80ft table, an ollie box, and they are building more. I think the thing that really sets it apart from the other cables I have been to is the atmosphere, everyone there is super friendly.

The other cables I have been to are OWC and Thorpe Park in London.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-02-2009, 8:57 AM Reply   
Wakesport Ranch is my favorite...well, when it opens later this year.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-02-2009, 10:23 AM Reply   
I've been to the Oklahoma and KCW cable.

I like TSR the best, mostly because of the bikini contests and beer.

Josh you're in FL now? For good? I'm sure you'll miss my big raley's! haha
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-02-2009, 12:22 PM Reply   
WAKENATION.
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-02-2009, 1:39 PM Reply   
I am going to Mccormicks on thursday. My first time ever to a cable.
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-04-2009, 8:14 AM Reply   
I've been to KCW, TSR, OKC, OWC, and McCormicks. I love riding at KCW since it's my home spot, I enjoy the sliders at TSR/OWC, but McCormicks is hands down the best place for air tricks that I've rode so far.
Old     (reuben)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-07-2009, 4:51 AM Reply   
Ive been to about 8 different parks in germany,1 in austria,1 in hungary,2 here in the philipines & ive ridden 6 different parks in australia although 3 of them have since shut down & of course im going to say my favourite is CWC but not just because it is my home but the cable is the perfect set up for air tricks & doesnt pull ya around as much as other cables do & no back wash because of the island & the angle of the banks.
After here i love my old cable park in australia as i think it has the biggest variety of obstacles of any park in the world & still growing,although there second lake(which is currently shut)has the highest towers that ive ridden just under 11m which is awesome if ya like going big & wanna learn new tricks.
And thirdly Bernhard Hinterbergers park in Keifersfeldon germany is also a very tight cable with the beautiful Alps in the back ground.
Unfortunately i havnt ridden in america yet but hope to come there next year if the rumors ive heard about worlds are true.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       03-07-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
So all you experienced cable riders still get a damn rash in your crotch from walking back to the start dock everytime? I have to say the crappy handles and crotch rot kicked my ass and kept me loving to pay extra for a pull behind the boat! Maybe the new parks opening soon here in DFW will change my mind.
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-07-2009, 12:32 PM Reply   
Owc and Mccormicks. I love mccormicks Nicest cable and people!
Old     (reuben)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-07-2009, 10:06 PM Reply   
Hey Gene a couple of years ago we tested out EVA handles on the cable in australia for a couple of months only to find that strangely they actually hurt our hands even more then wood ones.
I guess the difference is when most people ride behind the boat they do a couple 10-15 sets because they have to wait for everyone else to have a go.
where as on the cable your holding onto that handle for hours of water time,hence the sore hands.
Also the plugs in the ends of the handles were for ever pulling out & we got lots of bent handles as well,lots of cable parks have rubber handles but imo they hurt your hands more then the wood ones.
As for the jock rot,we have a shuttle that picks our riders up so no walking & on the S2 systems it can pick u back up with in a couple of seconds.
Old     (pierem)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-08-2009, 4:14 AM Reply   
Hey I'd like to go to Camsur in the end of August, the place looks so perfect... Do you know how is it there in August??? When is the best period?
And do you know how much it would cost approximately to ride there for 10 days, with a cheap accomodation, good food, cable and winch pass and maybe one pull a day behind the boat,...
cheers
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-08-2009, 7:02 AM Reply   
I hate the wood handles, even though I wear gloves. Fortunately OWC doesn't use them.:-)
Old     (toxis)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-08-2009, 2:28 PM Reply   
I prefer the handles at OWC over KCW's wood ones! But I would rather ride KCW just because it's more beginner friendly and has an island so it's actually smooth!
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-08-2009, 2:37 PM Reply   
So all you experienced cable riders still get a damn rash in your crotch from walking back to the start dock everytime?

Nope. I always ended my ride close to the starting dock.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       03-08-2009, 10:16 PM Reply   
Reuben thanks for the response. TSR has the wood handles that are frickin 7 inches wide and I can barely get two hands on it. When I do my pinkys on both hands got rubbed so raw that I got an infection. Seriously. That coupled with the fact that they don't even have an option to ride back to the start dock and the kicker I like is the farthest from the start dock is seriously the reason I have never returned. I am sure they don't miss me but I don't miss them either.

I think I actually get more quality ride time behind a boat, because most of my time on the cable was waiting to hit something and when I fell it was a 10, 15, sometimes 30 minute wait just to try the same move on the same kicker. behind the boat it was less than 5 minutes (usually much less) everytime to try the same trick.

Note to cable parks: give your riders the option to pay extra for a ride back in a golf cart. I would happily pay it.

Phantom: What can I say dude, we all are not as awesome as you man. :-)
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-11-2009, 3:32 PM Reply   
Gene, TSR now has good rubber handles. They haven't had wooden handles in a long time.

I enjoy the walk back...good exercise and can watch my friends tear it up as they ride by
Old     (kyle945)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-11-2009, 3:55 PM Reply   
Gene, if people have the option of riding back in a golf cart the lines would go by that much slower, the walk back is what keeps the line moving. and yes you can get back on the water faster after a fall behind the boat but can you ride with 5 other friends at the same time for 4 hours for 28 bucks? or much less if you have a pass,which tsr sells for $195 for an entire semester.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-11-2009, 7:35 PM Reply   
you would think that straightline would want to have their handles on all the cables especially now that they are part of liquid force. I know for a while tsr had a couple eva grip straightline handles. They were really worn out but they felt better I thought and the grip was wider. Im not sure the eva grip would be the solution but with the amount of cable parks popping up and the amount of handles at each one, surely a company would invest in making a handle that can put up with some punishment and yet is comfortable
Old     (blakehess1)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-12-2009, 8:05 PM Reply   
We use the eva handles at TSR but they are not designed to open at one end. The caps on the end pull out and we went through over 70 handles last year. Right now we have a mix of both wood and EVA.
Old     (svt600)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-12-2009, 8:26 PM Reply   
shoot i just wish there was one closer than 8 hours away!!!
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-13-2009, 12:21 PM Reply   
wood handles are better.
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-14-2009, 12:02 PM Reply   
Ok I haven't ridden as many as my boy JD but I'm going to compare KCW and OWC. Personally I like KCW a slight more. Mainly because of the island in the middle. It really allows for some butter water most of the time. BUT OWC has better handles and better obstacles. However, KCW is working on some new obstacles so we'll see. Also Mike, the owner, is one of the coolest guys out there so I have to give props to him for bringing something good to Kansas, we need it. Ok I'm biased because KCW is my riding spot