Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-25-2008, 12:42 PM Reply   
Thinking of ordering this for my new Malibu so i can get it into the water in Early April when there may be a chance of it still freezing. This way i don't have to worry about draining the block, right?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2000836/p-2000836/N-111+10201+600001648/c-10101

Just clip it onto the block or oil-pan and plug it into the power-inventor hooked to the battery.

you think this is safe to leave overnight w/o burning down my boat and dock?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-25-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
I've used those on cars and they work even in extreme cold. What they don't heat are lines to a heater or transmission. They are designed to make an antifreeze protected car easier to start.
It keeps some temperature in the engine compartment but not a great deal.
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-25-2008, 12:53 PM Reply   
Also helps keep the oil somewhat warm so its easier starting.

They work well.
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-25-2008, 1:17 PM Reply   
unless you have a lot of batteries a 15-18 amp continuous draw might kill them in fairly short order. Your starting battery would not like seeing that load for too long.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-25-2008, 1:50 PM Reply   
john, its 120 volt. No, it wouldn not make sense to heat with battery power.

THe larger blanket types look better to me. does this have a fan in it?
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-25-2008, 2:00 PM Reply   
The OP says he wants to use an inverter in the boat to power it which would be the deal killer for me.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-25-2008, 9:27 PM Reply   
i don't know much about it at all just found it online. i couldn't find any specs on it...are you guessing on the 15amp draw?

i might look into the blanket kind too. this would only be for a few nights that the temp falls below 32F between now and May 1 when it is pretty guaranteed to stay above freezing here in KC.

i have a huge marine battery to run it off...it's okay if it runs all the way down, or i could probably run an inline timer than cycles every hour.
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-26-2008, 5:00 PM Reply   
These work really well - might be what you are looking for:

http://www.goldenroddehumidifiers.com/
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-26-2008, 5:07 PM Reply   
I would GUESS that if you started the boat on nights that the temps would dip below freezing, got it up to temp then shut it off and covered it, it SHOULD be OK.
I would worry more about a heater core than the block. the heater core seems to go first.
I have used work lights with a 120w bulb in the engine compartment and near the heater core to keep things from getting too cold.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-27-2008, 12:09 AM Reply   
My boat has been moored in the lake all winter. We have had quite a bit of cold weather including a few times when the lake has froze over. All I do after riding is drain the block. takes about 5 mins to ensure everything is drained. Job done.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-27-2008, 12:17 AM Reply   
My boat has been moored in the lake all winter. We have had quite a bit of cold weather including a few times when the lake has froze over. All I do after riding is drain the block. takes about 5 mins to ensure everything is drained. Job done.
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-27-2008, 6:28 AM Reply   
The specs are in the description at the link you posted. 200 Watts. So 200/13=15.4amp from a fully charged battery. Likely quite a bit more because no inverter is 100% efficient. This would kill your battery in short order unless you have an extra large bank, which I doubt because you live at Lake L.. If you cover the boat and don't raise it on to your hoist the engine should not get much colder than lake water temp. Don't you have power at your dock to run a hydro hoist?
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-27-2008, 6:41 AM Reply   
man, i wish i had power at the dock. i have to run my lift off an inverter. i looked into solar a little, but it's just too much i think.

i'm gonna just wait till April 15th to put her in the water now. i guess better safe than sorry...
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-27-2008, 6:42 AM Reply   
hey john - i see you are in KC, what lake do you ride?
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-27-2008, 7:16 AM Reply   
Smithville mostly. I plan on being over at L within the year. I'd like to get back to skiing and riding at Prairie Lee but Jackson County was getting a bit red there last time I frequented the place. I'll have to back and look around as I'm downtown and it's closer.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-27-2008, 7:21 AM Reply   
check more into solar with 12v application. The panels aren't that much and super to install
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-27-2008, 7:21 AM Reply   
<easy>